Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring diagram for pertronix flamethrower distributor ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Finally finishing up the wiring on the '54 Wagon and I ran unto a snag,,,I've lost the wiring diagram,,it's a flamethrower distributor with 2 wires and in my normal way of thinking the red wire is hot,,,but there is no red wire!:confused:

Anyway, I have the correct coil I just don't want to wire it incorrectly and fry it. HRP

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

This one says 20GA wire to +Bat or chassis

I dont think so!

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Yea I know, They were quick pulls from google but he's only looking for the where the wires run from out of the dist.

5. There are two wires on all our distributors, One is RED it goes to the + side of the coil. The other is BLACK it goes to the - side of the coil. You want a full 12v to the coil + side (no ballast resistor). If it is a standard Flame Trower Distributor, you want a 1.5 ohm coil like our Flame Thrower. If it is a Flame Thrower II, you want a .6 ohm coil like our Flame Thrower II coil.

If it does not have a red wire, it either isn't a PerTronix distributor, or someone has screwed with it.

Don from PerTronix

6. Thank you Don,,I had a senior moment this morning when I posted my problem,,it does indeed have a read wire and I do have the correct coil.

You made may day,,

And thanks to the other guys who tried to help,,HRP

7. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Don, Can I use a stock coil and does it need a resistor?

8. Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on in a couple of weeks.
    It depends on the rating of the stock coil and which model distributor you have. The Ignitor II likes to see .06Ω resistance, but will work OK with up to 1.5Ω which many stock coils are (without the resistor). The Ignitor III needs a very low resistance, .032Ω in order for the second spark to work efficiently.

9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

My flamethrower iii has one red/ one black. Thats odd man

10. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Ahhh, shoot i see you figured it out already! haha, nevermind!. good luck, I love my pertronix dizzys

11. Not to mention this thread is 3 years old! [​IMG] HRP

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey! ragtop brought it back, not me! haha, hope its still workin for ya,