Register now to get rid of these ads!

DANGER! DANGER! Eye of the Tiger, thrill of the fight! Survivors rule all.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bobbleed, May 19, 2014.

1. very cool car!

2. Squablow

Squablow

The two cars are so similar, it's hard to believe they're not one in the same. What are the major differences that make you think they are not the same car? I can spot a few things, but nothing major that couldn't have been easily changed over the course of a couple years.

Great car, great story, the ones with history are the best.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice score! JMO, but I like it better with the chrome reversed wheels and the narrow whitewalls, think I'll use that for my desktop for a while. A J-2 powered A is right at the top of my list, congratulations :D

4. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

What a badass car.me and my old man checked this car out for a bit at Detroit autorama.nice score Bob!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Some guys have all the luck, that is a super score. Rebuild the j2 and put it back in asap.

6. onedge

onedge

cool hot rod score Ill be watching. Maybe the other one will show up sometime.

7. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

I can relate. Congrats!

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dug that car when it first surfaced on here, great score! I kinda like the Inglewood Pos-i-traction look; but it is awesome either way. Have fun!

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thing is crazy cool. I was surprised the earlier thread didn't get much attention. Hope to hear it on the streets soon. And those white/red line tires are the cat's pjs.

OT but there must be a story behind getting that odd rock cafe sign.

rod1 likes this.
  10. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Yeah I like the inglewood tires myself, but they are really poor and can't be driven on. I think there was a point in the later 60's or 70's that some minor changes were made, the wheels/ tires/ the carbs seem to have been swapped as the masters seem to be replaced..... I plan on only changing things to make it run and drive safely and will store anything I remove. I don't want to drill any new holes or do anything that couldn't be undone.

As far as the old picture, that car had a suicide front, earlier olds motor, and the rear of the frame and rear spring mount is different.

There is something going on with the front of the frame on this roadster, it was widened a tad, for engine clearance, but it does almost look like it could have been cut off and a new front portion added..... OR they doubled it up for strength.

So basically they would have changed almost everything, but the body. The windshield was different as well...... I would say its definitely not it, but the blue paint is crazy.... maybe the origional version was crashed, and they turned it into this.... thats the best theory so far, but its probably a different car.... I plan on showing it to the guy who built the other one at some point so we shall see!

Also I have a note that it one first place at the 1963 International auto show in Chicago. If anyone has pictures from that show, that would be awesome!

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    daveygts and dana barlow like this.
  11. turdytoo

turdytoo

The Bakan car was Baby Blue before it was Tatian/ Tahitian Red too.

12. almost speechless.... almost.

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Another great score.Just another guy that has his bed stuffed with four leaf clover.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. phat fab

phat fab

Super cool Bob. What an awesome find.

15. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

super rad. nice find

16. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always loved Titian Red. Wasn't that a Buick color around 53?

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hope to see it in person at BttFifties, looking good with the whitewalls.

18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Great car. You are a lucky man. I'm not big on whitewalls with either chromies or mags,
    but I dig the look of the narrow whites and chrome reversed rims (not smoothies).

19. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Damn you Bob Bleed! Damn you to Hell!!! You end up with some of the coolest shit around! I hate you! (but in a jealous and respectful way) I hope to see it in the next MFS DVD.

20. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Bad ass Bob.

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

22. BRENT

BRENT

Super cool!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love this look!!! Look so right!
    [​IMG]

sko_ford likes this.
  24. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Haven't had much time the last few weeks but I'm getting ready to get started!

Ive sourced pretty much everything I need to put it together , but the slave cylinder..... its an old wagner lockheed..... no other markings, closest thing I could find was a couple other guys on the Hamb with the same one trying to find out what it is..... might have to use something else. I've looked at all the trucks from the era and even foreign stuff and just can't find it. might have to use something else. I'll take a picture when I pull it out.

Besides all that, this car still blows my mind everyday.!

Attached Files:

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

do you have a picture of it?

26. Eric H

Eric H

My friend dragged his feet and missed out, I told him to buy it on the spot. Congrats Bob, great car.

27. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

been looking a bit here and there but so far the only ones I've found are here on the HAMB..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Been meaning to update this for a few weeks! Basically I waited till there was a week before back to the 50s to get started, but we made it! It was really neat to tear into this car, knowing that most of what we took apart was untouched since built,

Lots of care was taken to not disturb anything from the past, we didn't even drill a hole. Everything that was done could be put back exactly how it was!

So the motor was swapped out for a really good running 324, we put the dimpled valve covers on and a 3x2, used the original top shift lasalle, replaced the masters, and wheels cylinders and I ended up putting a Chevy slave cylinder in, never did find what the original was.

The exhaust was shot so I made some headers and gas welded them up so they look old, capped them off with some old JC Whitney tips, they are funky, but look pretty authentic, plus they were made with stuff that was laying around.....

It was a typical week long thrash, but we made it to the show, this car drives so great! It is super comfortable and works really well! Still have some tuning and details to take care of, but it's on the road again! Need to get points for the Ducoil and I scored some super cool Hollywood wheels from Phillips , just need to finish paying for them!

The car is amazing, I can't even believe it!

So many people have been telling me to move back the grill, I can't do it. It's just the way it is, the way it is mounted there is no way to do it without changing it and who am I to change it! Plus, I'm starting to dig the nose heavy look.... Or at least get used to it! It's just so pure the way it is, the whole car just blows my mind!

Driving it is like stepping back in time, Its like being in one of those shitty Teenie bopper hot rod movies......innocent and bad ass all at once! Ha[

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018154.126214.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018199.990070.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018246.104256.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018283.972251.jpg

ATTACH=full]2656410[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  30. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

More pics!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018395.794562.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018411.550349.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018436.363088.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018451.335400.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018473.274451.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404018529.586862.jpg

Attached Files: