Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Earliest chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, May 21, 2014.

1. guitard

guitard

Was just thinking about the ol' lid lowering trick and got to wondering what the earliest dateable pictures might be in HAMB hands showing a chopped top. Is there info back to who took the hacksaw to the T roof first (or however it all started)?

It's the one thing that has the potential to improve almost anything - custom, hard topped rod, pickup, sedans, wagons and OT later rides too. Should be working but staring out the window of the workshop at my cars... ok, back on my head!

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Good question, Harry Westergard maybe?

3. guitard

guitard

I picture some '20s Gearheadosaur looking at his T and saying to himself, "Self, those are all vertical posts. Hmmm..."

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

In the early days it was almost exclusively roadsters. SCTA didn't allow coupes to compete until late'40s early '50s

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The Europeans had some pretty low lids from the factory in the 20's and 30's.. Wouldn't be surprised if that influenced the first chops over here.. Interesting question though...

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My guess would be land speed cars or endurance racing GT cars. Or anything with enough hp that the crew got to thinking more and more about what could still be holding them back! Gary

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

choppedcoupe.gif Old \'32 3W from June, 1941 El Mirage.jpg Old \'32 3W from June, 1941 El Mirage.jpg
    That is partly true but coupes could run prewar in one of the Outlaw timing associations like Russetta or Western. I started a thread asking for information on them here. Also this car was chopped prior to1941 when the picture was taken.

8. guitard

guitard

What a great piece of history that one is! Nice photo effect too. So we have at least 1941 with photo...

With you on the time trials, but I know sometimes things come about by other means - perhaps there was a C cab that had to fit under something and the next thing you know someone hack-'n-tacked it a foot lower. Then his buddy says "I say there Homer, that's badass. Now lower it in the front..." and there you go. A daddy we didn't know we had who didn't even set out to start anything. If we can trace it back in pictures, maybe we'll find out... where's the Robert Johnson of top chops? The Son House of the lowered lid?

#36 is a great start. Is there a thread on this car on here?

9. Muttley

Muttley

People must have thought that first guy was crazy.

10. That's a very unique chop, prior to 1941 - that's interesting. It gives the car a completely different flow and I think I like it a lot!