Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Andretti's First Love

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 21, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Andretti's First Love

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. I came across this video a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. Gave me the warm fuzzy feeling.

Neat to see Andretti recalling the earliest days of his racing career.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Well worth the time to watch.

4. Thanks for that. He is still a top class guy even with all his success.
    By the way, the new design for your site is top class as well.

5. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thanks for posting that....but why would you say that's not an impressive recreation, it was probably a little nicer than the original, didn't have any dents yet, but a pretty close clone nonethe less. Guess i'm wondering what you expected it to be?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You right... unfair for me to say without seeing it in person... It just looked awful glossy... Not a big deal by any means...

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great story and video. Even better because they laid off the faux black & white, stained sepia, or post production splices, jump cuts, and scratches or pops in the sound track. Gary

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You're right, It's a nice, kinda sentimental piece. I was surprised by some of the factual stuff, though; I was always under the impression that Mario had raced go-karts and formula Junior in Italy before coming to the US. Guess not.

9. JEM

JEM

Better too glossy than perfect flat clearcoat...

Nice piece. Though given his background and where he went with his career I'd almost say his 'first love' (or at least first crush) was to remain unrequited - the Ferrari F1 contract that never happened.

10. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Great srory! Love the old stockers

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

What a great story.

12. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I really enjoyed watching this piece. Thanks for posting it.

13. starliner62

starliner62

That was pretty cool. I also thought Mario and his brother started racing earlier. I must be getting sentimental in my old age.

14. Thanks for posting this Ryan,

A great video,Mario Andretti is such a icon in his field. HRP

15. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Makes me want to go out and find my old 63 Impala ss. That was my first real love.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

From a post war internment camp to a world class champion Mario is a living example of the American Dream.
    The video showed me the Human side of that Champion and the humble beginnings with of all things a "48 Hudson!
    KK

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember seeing this a while back. I just thought it was cool. Sometimes, there's no need to analyze a piece. Just take it for what it is. A good story.

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Best 18 minutes of my week.Richard Petty,Mario Andretti , and AJ Foyt were the racing heroes of my generation.I got to meet his nephew John at Watkins Glen when he was racing for Korman Autoworks but I've always wanted to meet Mario.Great video.

19. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

For those who are wondering...the film was shot at Grandview Speedway, about an hour south east of Nazareth, Pa....it is a 1/3 mile high bank track running late models and small block modifieds on sat. nights.....I did have the honor of meeting Mario at his house....I worked there for 3 days and will never forget the first time I saw him.....how do you think he looked....I imagined him standing there, holding his helmut, wearing a driving suit, with a rainbow over his head....NOway...he was sitting on a riding mower in his garage, cut off shorts, a ratty tee shirt, eating breakfast off a paper plate....talk about a let down....but he was a very nice guy....loved the film....stan

20. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

Actually he got to drive for Ferrari in F1 and sportscars in the early 70's

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Great story. The personal opinions were a bit of a turn off though.

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Thanks for posting that. Pictures of Mario in Hot Rod magazine sideways in a sprint car in the '60's definitely influenced me to race sprint cars myself. Very well produced film.

23. aircap

aircap

Mario is a BOSS. That is all you need to know.

24. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Pretty cool piece of film. I bet you he was quite sentimental in those laps of the track.

Being a race car driver, especially at the top end like he's been, there's no time for getting sentimental. The next race car is always better, faster, and you do all it takes to win. But I'll bet those memories that came flooding back must have gotten to him.

Very cool guy, and a great surprise. Wish the film was longer, I enjoyed it a lot. And there's no insistent commercial banter about the game stuff, either. Just proper petrolhead talk.

Thanks for sharing!

25. tuckpoint

tuckpoint
    from omaha,nebr

grew up watching mario. started building six bangers, will always have a vintage inline.music to my ears. great work

26. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Super neat video!! Makes me want to build a race car.. wish they would've shown him get on it more in that Hudson tho! Would be so bad ass to watch Mario get sideways around a dirt track in that thing!!!

27. swiss39coupé

swiss39coupé

It felt good to look at Andrettis smile when he started the engine. Just a great video. Thank you for posting.

28. Real cool story. Seems like a pretty humble dude!

29. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome!...I just watched the whole movie at work.
    Thanks for sharing!