Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomCars, May 19, 2014.

1. Awesome post! I drug my truck home when I was 17. I hoped to get it on the road for high-school but it didn't happen until after college. I'm currently rebuilding it for the second time.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wish there was the HAMB and the internet when I was 16.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Your post is aces, Jason! Hope to see a lot from you down the road.

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

WHERE DID YOU COME FROM??? ARE YOU ADOPTED? If not your parents have to get to work and make you more brothers and sisters!! Great blood lines!! Bravo to you!! Pete

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Thank God! There is hope yet! So glad to hear someone your age with a driving passion for ANYTHING, let alone our hobby.

More power to ya buddy. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here. You may get some smart-assed responses but just keep plugging along. You'll be surprised how fast you go from a wish list, to a pile of rusty parts to something you can be proud to say you built with your own two hands.

And it only gets better with time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Thanks a lot guys! @chubbie hmm sounds good, anymore details?

7. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very cool to see a younger guy into rods and custome at your age for sure! I got my first old car when I was 13 from my Uncle. It was a 39 Chevy. I got my addiction from him. My 40 was his car and I purchased it from the guy that baught it from my Aunt 10 years after my uncle passed. I'm currently trying to bring it back to more of what he always wanted to do it. With some twists and changes I want on it. Good luck to you on an A project, and cool 53!

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Jason good to see you on the HAMB. My first car at 16 was a 53 Ford. There have been many projects since then and I have depended upon information from many sources to help with them. Don't be afraid to approach the old farts, They may be a little crusty on the outside but most of them love to share what they know and are delighted when they see a young person getting started in the hobby. Now days I enjoy the friendships I have made within the hobby every bit as much as working on and driving my cars. Give some of your school buddies a ride and see if you can get them hooked too.

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

@The 39 guy Thank you sir! Old farts rule! I do give my buddies rides and they love it I will get them hooked trust me!!

11. 327Eric

327Eric

I got my addiction very young, and got my Henry J when I was 12. I got my dads 66 Chevy truck when I was in High School in the 80's. Even though it wasn't that old, it was still special, and I cut my teeth on it. The first classic I put on the road was my 55 Studebaker when I was in my 20's.I was always the Kid at the car shows, with my black primered project.( not common at shows then) I always sought out parts, and help very actively, and made a lot of friends who were "graybeards" by my persistence. Eventually I stepped away from the club scene because I was tired of the ridicule from some of the guys, but by then I had gone deep down my own path, Even now, I have very few friends into cars, but I find help and ideas on the Hamb. I assured my brothers addiction, by giving him a 59 ford when he was 12. He is in the same boat, but he keeps on playing. Keep the Faith, and strike up a conversation when you can. Even introverts like me love talking about our cars.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Latest issue of the SEMA member magazine had an interesting story on the hot rod business and pointed out the raising popularity of A's as well as an influx of younger participants.

13. My heart goes out to this young man and his dream of building and having an A Model. There is a young guy near where I live who built one when he was around 18 years old. I hope this youngster gets there to. I don't think he will ever regret it!

14. Kenny Allen

Kenny Allen

Keep it up man. I love the 53. Always been my favorite car. I got my first (an UGLY 1960 Apache pickup) when I was 19. I never got it roadworthy and ended up selling it for a loss which was a terrible regret. It took me until last year (29 years old) to finally get my 1950 Ford. All I can say is hard work pays off and don't EVER take a loss on something you've put hard work into.

15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Good to know there are young guys still interested. Makes me think back to my earlier years when at 17 I got my first '55 Chevy (that was in '84). Man ! What a rush! Do yourself a favor, don't part with your dream car if you can help it. I still have mine in part because i listened to the older guys wishing they still had theirs!

16. skipperman

skipperman

GREAT POST my young brother ...... In my club we call it " passing the torch" ..... we all try to involve the younger guys into the hobby/sport/PASSION.
    My story ...... fourth grade -1955 ... teacher asks the class to bring in things that are " different than one would normally see" for a show and tell type thing ...... classmate has his brother bring in a YELLOW 1932 FORD ROADSTER !!!! OMG !!! I was HOOKED right there !!! it was fenderless and painted a bright yellow with red wire wheels and the sound alone took away ANY CHANCE of me even GETTING TO SLEEP that night !!! I bought every little book I could from then on and had MANY taken away by teachers for MANY years following .... it still continues to this day and I'm 68 now !! .... thank GOD for the HAMB and for the youth that become involved to keep our wonderful "sickness" goin' on ....

....... jersey Skip

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Wish there were more kids like you!!!

18. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Just found this! Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! Dedication and determination will get you anywhere you wanna go! Glad to see some young guys get into this world called hot rods!

19. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

@Russco Thank you sir! I always see your car at Torque Fest! I love the 40 also!

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Right on KC!! Keep at it. Hope to run in to you some day.

21. Coyote56

Coyote56

From one teenager to another, keep up the good work! I'm still waiting for my first rod, look forward to seeing what you can make of yours.
    Jake S.

Shotgun Rod & Kustoms

22. Glad to see there are more teenagers like myself on here! Really like your 53! Hopefully I get to build a falcon gasser with my dad, I also got to see the south east gasser race in April witch was amazing. Trying to keep vintage drag racing alive!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Right on dude! Good luck man

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. My faith in youth is restored!

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

27. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Welcome aboard and I really like your 53. Like others have said, it's really great to see younger folks interested in old cars. I do hope one day that we will read posts about the Flathead powered Model A you will be working on!

28. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Everytime I come to this post and read it, my heart fills with joy.
    I love knowing there still hope out there for the young guns to take over. Thanks and good luck.

29. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Amen Brother. Many folks young & old have sat behind the wheel of my 46 Coupe or 55 F-100. Here's a photo of my daughter setting in a nice fellow's Model A Tudor at a local car show.
    019.JPG

30. Great thread Jason! If you ever need a favor, just ask. I'm trying to get my son to appreciate old stuff like you do. Here he is riding his first bike - late 60's, early 70's Schwinn pixie. image.jpg