Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Connecting Rod column mount ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jrockdiddy55, May 19, 2014.

1. Jrockdiddy55

Jrockdiddy55
    from Phoenix

Need to reduce the inner diameter to 2". it's about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 now. I know this has been done before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 73RR

73RR

...why not just start with a 2" rod?

3. I got lucky with mine. The bearing was still in the big end, and with the bearing in place, it was a PERFECT fit for the new column. Not sure if that helps you any, but I would have been in the same dilemna as you without the bearing.

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

Maybe shave the lower cap an 1/8 or 3/16, then line the hole w/ a strip of rubber inner tube.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

A model A rod was perfect for mine/ without the babbit!

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

The bearing insert can help, or once I lined one with a strip of rubber. It was all in there so tight there was no movement at all.

7. oldolds

oldolds

8. I would try to find another rod like 73RR said. I used a rod from a 239 Y block Ford (2.188" dia) and with an insulator to avoid scratches, it fit my column just right.

9. I used a SBC small journal rod (2.000 with bearing). I installed without the bearing and used a strip of rubber to provide the filler and also some vibration insulation.

10. Jrockdiddy55

Jrockdiddy55
    from Phoenix

73RR this rod was free. Trying to make it without using too much $$. I thought about rod journal bearings and then maybe filling the gap with piece of rubber radiator hose, or cutting a seal or gasket(timing cover, wheel bearing) in half to fill the gap... THanks for all the ideas guys. I'll post some more pics when i finish the task

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use some rods for a stereo mount and had to use some aluminum tubing for an insert then I drilled and tap it for a set screw to keep it from rotating.

12. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

connecting rod.jpg Here's how I did mine- I cut the end off the rod and fabricated a new end to fit the column out of some plate welded it to the connecting rod and bolted it to the dash. There is a set screw in the end of it to hold the column tight.

13. Garbz

Garbz

Some correct ID exhaust tubing split and carefully welded in place and finished will do the trick. Sounds like a TIG job down at Elpolackos.

Jrock You never sent me the seat bracket pictures.

Garbz.

14. wutnxt

wutnxt

Farm stores have 1/4 inch thick rubber in roll stock for horse mats, etc. I cut a strip about 1/2 inch wide to wrap around my column between column and V8-60 con rod.

15. Jrockdiddy55

Jrockdiddy55
    from Phoenix

Sorry Garbz, you'll get it tomorrow. 12 hour shifts at work sux.

Well, Here it is. .98 cents 2" abs coupling fitting at lowes. It's even black too[​IMG] I cut it in half, trimmed a little of the end, and it popped right into the connecting rod, and fits perfect. even a tight fit against the column too. Sorry for the dark pic. It's 10pm here and I just got off work and i had to see if it was gonna work or not. Floor plates should be gettin' here this week to secure column.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]