Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Old License Plates are always cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 20, 2014.

1. WA state allows YOM plates to be registered. Like other states, it's a one time fee...they don't give you a sticker or anything, but do note the plate number on the registration and the title (they send you a new, current title)

2. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Run the cool plates, keep the new ones in the car say you forgot...ha ha

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I know quite a few guys that do just that.

I have a few plates mostly 50's,60's and 70's. These are the oldest I have.

Attached Files:

4. image.jpg image.jpg Oregon is the same way as Washington. Took the plate with me to DMV, they verified that the colors on the plate were correct for that year plate, and issued me registration for the car with that plate number. One time fee, they never have to see me again...well, until the next time I register another car with them.

5. I put them on 59 El Camino and 47 Ford I had, but I still need to find a decent pair for my 41.
    59_yom.jpg Picture 024.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. In Ct. you need to carry your regular plates in the trunk. It is legal to run classic plates as long as you registered the car with them. The paperwork does reflect this.

Scooterville likes this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m jealous, you guys have all the good stuff, hahahah, oh man. We are only allowed to run our modern plates here in Germany...at least I got the smallest ones that I was allowed to put on but if I had a pair of these " Armed forces in Germany" -plates I´d certainly run them on my 56, legally or not.

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I found this one for my shoebox at a swap meet - almost perfect condition. Previously had one of a pair of never-registered California 1949/50 plates on it.
    [​IMG]

mkebaird likes this.
  9. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

382741_2349683098052_1445584920_n.jpg

I ran an iconic CA plate for a while until I picked up '30 tags. Texas "Antique" tags are terrible looking.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. View attachment 2621968

You bet,what we had until we got our YOM approved

new tag.jpg

And the YOM 1954 tag. HRP

old tag.jpg

11. Iowa says you can run a vintage plate as long as you keep the originals in the car somewhere in case you do get pulled over for something...
    "But officer, I thought you could roll a stop sign while throwing flames!"

12. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

California isn't quite as simple. You have to have a set and get them approved. And it seems the older plates are simpler than the later YOM plates they allow. So far I have done two sets of YOM plates, the 29 I am running on our coupe, and we are waiting to see if they will approve the plates on my brother's 34 Dodge. Our 65 TBird was the easiest car, we bought it from the original owner and it still had the orginal Ca black plates on the car when we purchased it, they just moved over as normal plates, not even as YOM. I want to run a set on our 68 Olds, but I have to find a set of clear 65 black plates and a 68 sticker and then I can possibly get them approved. I'd like to find a set of plates to run on our 58 Tbird for when we get it back on the road.

[​IMG]

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a $200+ plate, Ryan. Nice find.

14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

going on my 59 tbird. I lucked out with black and white for that year
    [​IMG]

mkebaird likes this.
  15. They must have changed the law since I was there about 10 years ago.Got stopped by a state trooper just west of Monticello in my Safari.The fact that I was doing 75 in a 55 zone may have had something to do with it. What he questioned was my use of YOM plates as I was told they were not allowed to run them in Iowa.
    I explained Michigan's law regarding them and after he checked them told me I might want to get my speedometer checked when I got back to Michigan;told me to have a nice day and left.
    That was the only time I was ever stopped since I put them on the car in 1994. The enclosed pic shows it painted to match the car color.I have since changed it back to the correct original color to conform with the law.

Attached Files:

mkebaird likes this.
  16. You wouldn't believe the shit & hassle & $$$ this involves down here. America is great

17. Uh...I could help with that...

[​IMG]

18. BTW, I sent TooTallOkie home with 6 boxes of vintage plates. Most of them were from down south, but if you are looking, send him a PM. I culled a few "special" ones, for my private stash.

19. Pennsylvania is a pain in the ass with the old plate registration.
    Your vehicle must be titled as a antique or it's a no go. Makes no sense...

20. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I found this plate on E-Pay 5 or 6 years ago and run it on the front of my 57 Vette...I get more comments on the damn plate than the car !!! 57 Nov. 2011 007.JPG

mkebaird and CapeCodBob like this.
  21. JJK

JJK

My pops has been hoarding old plates for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How often do you see a cherry pair of 32 plates on a barn rafter? (not for sale don't ask)

22. jroberts

jroberts

The plate has to be year of manufacture and if the car is registered in North Carolina it has to have a North Carolina YOM plate. You can't put a 1953 plate on a 1940 vehicle for example

23. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Nothing real pretty about a 46 Florida tag, but here's mine 001.JPG .

24. Here is my YOM plate for my 1937 Ford.

Attached Files:

25. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I run YOM Plates on all my cars ,In Texas you have too register your plates as antique and you pay every five years and only drive them too car shows, parades, club meets but the Johnny law never checks where your going.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631575.832225.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631590.350741.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631602.384090.jpg

Posted from Austinrod

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

We all agree that running YOM or something other then a state issued tag is cooler, but be aware that in many states running an improper tag is a felony. I've even read on the HAMB where a poster said he lives in Kentucky but runs an Ohio YOM tag when he goes to Ohio. Even on this thread someone commented on running a tag even if it wasn't legal. In Kentucky which has about the most liberal YOM statutes there is, running an improper tag is a felony and could result in jail time if some local yokel wanted to push it.

27. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

In florida it has to be YOM and original paint. Send it to the state with a check and if the paint is good enough they pass it. Still have a yearly tag. Horseless carriage is a life tag. No big whoop other then finding a good plate. The real challenge is find a good county number plate in your county, if ya care too. Any county is fine. Shouldn't really be that complicated to get a old plate registered, is there a criminal ol timely plate mafia or something :) ha ha

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

For my Black Widow….[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Dempsey

Dempsey
    from Murray, KY

I love old plates. I have my home state from 1916 to the 50's and then hit and miss.

This thread has me interested to see if I can run vintage plates.