Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Plymouth Valiant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, May 19, 2014.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Well, ok....after several years on here and a couple of time filler projects...I finally have something that is doable. She is a 1965 Plymouth Valiant Base model v-100 w/ 225 slant 6. Of course she needs quite a bit of work. The good is that she is a running driving car. The bad is that she needs a lot of attention. Since I got her a couple weeks ago, I've taken all the drums down and cleaned the plates and ordered new wheel cylinders, springs, and shoes. Wire wheeled everything I could that to reuse and painted the parts. I plan on putting it back together in the next night or two (less the parking brake mechanics). She has a busted horn on the exhaust manifold and I'll be addressing that with a used one soon. I've heard that the late 70's early 80's 225 exhaust manifold will fit. I'll have to check into that one. The real bad is the body. Mainly the front fenders and hood. The PO said that the hood latch popped and the hood flew back onto the car. The springs don't look sprung but the drivers side hood bolt area has been buggered and the hood doesn't line up at all. Both front fenders are hometown hammered and has a ton of bondo. The gas guage doesn't work. Not sure if its the sender or the gauge itself. Looking into all of that later. Needs a few spots in the front floor pans replaced. Giving her a new tune up and new parts soon and then putting on new shocks. she'll be good to drive then. I'm pretty excited. I love the 65's. Interior needs new headliner and back window tray. Has new upholstery on seats and carpet. That's all down the line though. I'll be once again wearing out the posting, so just be patient with me. I've loved being on here for a long time now.

well, ive tried to figure out how to get pics from my iphone on here...but I cant. i'll keep trying

2. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

Can't go wrong with a Valiant. It should not be difficult to find sheet metal if you decide to replace. The '65 fenders are different from the '64 or '66. The slantsix.org site is a good resource.

3. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

see if this works

Attached Files:

4. skoh73

skoh73

5. looks like a nice start - good luck with it.....can't beat my little 64' or 67' Vals for reliability and parts are not that hard to get.....there is a "ABody only" site as well....(hope that's okay to say)

6. Very cool!! I have one as well. The manifold of a later 225 is a bolt in, I did it in mine. Good luck with the project I love these cars!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. skoh73

skoh73

Be sure to check out the build thread as there is info useful to anyone building a Valiant in the future at the end of the post (plus it is a kick ass car).

8. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Hey 57 fargo, which year manifold is the best for a direct bolt on?

9. Just saw this, sorry for the slow reply! I used a manifold off a '78 225 but I'm not positive if/what years are all the same. As a side note I love slant sixes, that's what is going in my '57

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. GTS225

GTS225

For what it's worth, all years of slants used the same bolt patterns on the intake. If you want to pep up that engine, try to locate a "super six" package. That consists of a two-barrel intake and carb, with appropriate linkage and filter housing. The super six I'm referring to would be found on '76 and up slant-equipped cars, vans, and pickups, but not all had them. The EGR valve boss can be blocked off with a home made plate and gasket.

Warning!! If you stumble across the e-beam welded aluminum intake, have it powder coated before using. Many of them had a porosity problem that could drive a tuner nuts.

E-beam welded was cast as upper and lower halves, then welded together around the horizontal axis.

BTW.....Do register over on slantsix.org. Lots of smart folks there.

Roger

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hey, Nash, what size wheels does your Valiant have? I think I have a couple early Valiant wheels, but they're not an exact matched pair either.