Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Old License Plates are always cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 20, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Old License Plates are always cool

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If I could find one of these:

germany.jpg

I'd run em - legal or not!

3. 012.JPG Have two originals on my Coupe and Roadster! The one on the coupe was made buy Don Coleman from 2 different plates.. The one's on the roadster say 32 and are from an era of the build style. COUPE 006.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I was stoked when the law makers decided to let us run a YOM tag. HRP IODINE STATE.jpg

5. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

This is a cool Thread, but it would be wise for all of us, if some things are not discussed on a public forum.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Malcolm likes this.
  6. Way cool subject. Thanks.

7. RatRoy

RatRoy

I was found out recently that not all law enforcement understands this is legal. Be prepared to explain and have your paperwork.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. hbwoody

hbwoody

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0473.JPG YOM Tags provide the finishing touch.
    Mine.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been running YOM plates on all my old cars, both in NYS and through quite a few other states though the east coast & mid-west for 20+ years and have never been stopped. Maybe my cars aren't that interesting......... :(:D

11. With the law being passed within the last few years here in South Carolina there are officers that are totally unaware of the law.

We have a sticker that is issued just like the current tags but only have to keep it in the car to prove that the tag is up to date.

We are also issued paper work and a registration card with the YOM tag numbers on it to satisfy the officer if or when we are pulled over or a license check.

I have been stopped once,I think the officer was more curious about the tag than any offense. HRP

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I collect 1940 plates for a display. I am only missing Louisiana and Mississippi. If anyone has either of those at a reasonable price, I am interested. I try to stay under$75, condition is not really important as long as its fairly legible.

14. svodoc

svodoc

Alabama passed the yom tag law a few years ago, it becomes the car's permanent plate. We pay $12 one time and never have to pay for another thing ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400604777.740550.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

mkebaird, kiwijeff and WornOutOldMan like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I recently registered my roadster with a 1928 Nebraska plate - first time I've gone through the process here. It really wasn't too bad. I restored the plate, took it with me, along with required paperwork and they put a 'Historical' sticker on the plate. The really nice thing about it is that it's a one time deal (approx. $90), no yearly sticker or registration fees... good as long as you own the car!

Malcolm

Heavy Flat Head likes this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has to be the best state for YOM usage. No fee, no inspection of the tag, no hassle. The only stipulation is the current tag must be in the vehicle the YOM Tag is being used on.

65pacecar likes this.
  17. Agreed. I like to run late 50's plates on the car I'm building. I talked to a guy this weekend who runs 50's plates on his 40, and he got pulled over and had to do some fast talking... so, it is a risk.

18. they aren't too hard to find, surf the evil-bay. they turn up from time to time. i recently traded a mint 56 armed forces in germany to a buddy.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Kool thread. I grew up in Oakland in the 50s so this was a good find.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

Much like other states we have a handful of different size plates in AZ.

32-34 plates are pricey due to being Copper and much smaller.

And then in the 50s, only even year numbered plates were made requiring a tab much like various California plates for odd years.

As long as your plate isn't in use on another vehicle, it's as easy as walking into a mvd office and using your period plate.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Couple of plates from my 'collection';

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the new plates California may be putting out are nothing like originals. they will still look wrong on your old car. modern plates in old colors, that is all they are. better than a white plate I suppose.

23. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Picked up these at a swap meet a couple weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How about a leather plate from 1905?
    leather.jpg

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

running modern plates on an old car is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

1oldtimer and kiwijeff like this.
  26. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Cool topic, Old plates on an old car definitely look better than the new white ones for sure. I agree with one of the above comments though. For example if you built a 1928 model A ford as a pre-war or even post-war hotrod, to be completely period correct it would not have 1928 plates on it-this is the rub with the YOM program, but if the choice is 1928 plates or 2014 plates-i think we could all agree that 1928's are going to look far better for sure.

27. jroberts

jroberts

In North Carolina we can run YOM plates if you keep the registered "new" plates in the car. This has been the case for quite a number of years but there are still law enforcement folks that are not aware of the law. I keep a copy of the statute in my Studebakers just in case. A friend of mine's son has a '58 Commander and was pulled by a local city officer. He was charged with displaying the 1958 plate. (He was still in high school at the time) He explained the legality of what he was doing to no avail. His dad went to the station with him with a copy of the statute that allows YOM plates. He spoke with the chief and showed it to him. The chief was floored as he had never heard of the statute. He took back the ticket and asked if he could keep the copy of the statute to copy and hand out to his officers. All is well that ends well.....

CapeCodBob likes this.
  28. 2014 Black roadster 4 sale 010.jpg Just 1 of mine

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. lucky after an old house in my hood was torn down - I looked in the old garage - low and behold a full collection from 1950 up to about 1971.....well....couldn't just leave them there....

30. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

So you can run any older plate you want to run under that law? If so, that is a cool way to do it. I agree with vonpahrkur that running the 29 plate(in my case) isn't really correct for our coupe, or most builds, but given the choice of California's ugly white plate, or even a personalized plate vs the YOM, we went with the YOM.

[​IMG]