Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buick 8 in model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pitfarm, May 16, 2014.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen several pictures of the Model A in Bonneville threads over the years. But that is all I found right away. I am not sure but I think the other car is a Buick and may be from Russia. Long tow. PS I ran a Dodge Hemi with a T frame at Fremont plenty of times. That was then. Now i would not do that.

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe thay weren't Hot Rods but the Straight 8 Buick two man cars did well at INDY in the 1930's. A restored one with a HAMB member driving it holds most of the Vintage Hillclimb records in the VSCCA. Bob

3. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

In the early/mid 60's, one of the members of a firetruck manufacturer's family (Seagraves?) ran a Buick straight 8 very successfully in the lower altered classes. It might have run E/Altered as that was a catch-all class for the odd stuff. It was in front of a roadster body. The length of the engine looked out of proportion to me though I liked the car as I've always been a fan of underdogs. My recollection is it ran in the low 14's/high 13's. Sorry my memory isn't better but someone should be able to help on this.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In the early 60s Dave Dozier ran a Chrysler straight eight altered roadster around here. It was a low 12 second car. We sometimes in in the same elimination bracket at Fremont. With the engine in a FED he won the D/D class at the Winternationals one year. Later with a B&M blower on it and in a streamliner of his own construction it went 250 at Bonneville. Dave was very talented. And proved an inline eight will run.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love this stuff. I have a 1953 Buick 263 waiting to do something cool like this. Keep us up to date when you get started.

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

If this picture loading works, here's how the car looks today. It's been in the care of Dave Blake for sometime now. He's the guy in the big ole hat on the left.
    On another note; this big blue lump just happened to be hanging around when I got to work this morning.

Attached Files:

7. jr9162

jr9162

You miss it do you? She's going to east TN sometime this year.

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'd be lying if I said I didn't. But that's the life of car ADHD...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

9. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

Nick;

The 33/34 roadster pictured was in one of the little mags back in the 50's running a Duesenberg engine. That must have been a ride! It reappeared a decade of so later with the Buick, the Duesy having been removed, properly so, for a restoration. This is all from a misfiring of ganglia in my brain, as I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

And then there's this roadster with a Pontiac 8 in it. It's not quite finished yet. He still has to finish putting the front grill sheet metal on it.
    100_4409.jpg 100_4413.jpg

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Personally I think the proportions of most early Fords could do with a bit of a stretch ahead of the firewall. Raising the axles and fenders relative to the body helps to make the visual improvement effective.

12. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

This information is unbelievable guys thank you.
    Brandon, do you know what the chassis is on the red roadster?

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someone must have a shot of that twin plug NASH 8 in a Roadster that ran Bonneville in the last 10 years or so. Bob

14. flyin-t

flyin-t

Bruce Crower ran a Nash 8 back in the 80's.
    [​IMG]

15. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

It's a 37 Willys.

16. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

17. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Just to clarify, The Geronimo roadster never had a Buick engine. It has had a Duesenberg motor since the Ulrich brothers and Andy Granatelli built it back in '47-'48.

18. sit in the rumble seat maybe ?

19. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Ha, now I think yr taking the mick!

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Interestingly, though the photo isn't really good enough to tell, the Duesenberg-powered '34 seems to defy the general rule of hot rods having newer parts in place of older parts, in its grille shell as well as its engine. For many reasons I've tended to question the historical universality of that rule.

Perhaps it is safer to say that the more sophisticated the context, the less was the tendency to follow the mainstream motor industry's lead.

21. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I'd go with a inline Chevy or Ford Six with a crank driven blower. That will give you your long stretched hood!

22. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Rap rap, I think that is wise advice....unfortunately I have this Buick behemoth taking up all my shed space! The good news is...I have a blower for it...Godfrey K300. But will have to be side drive!

Need to think in terms of bigger chassis than Model A...how about Chrysler G70?

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

How about a Model-AA truck chassis?

24. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Well Pitfarm, what do you think of the suggestion I PM'd you?
    Ed

25. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Ed, you are now directly involved, I bought the Rover chassis. Good thing this is not a Tradit......oh..

26. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

OK so yr average trad hot rod didn't sport a 1947 Rover chassis, but hey..its in period!

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Oh cool! It is an amazing frame though! Did it come with a V5? If not finding a Rover 16 logbook shouldn't be difficult, or getting a new V5 for that frame. It'll make registration easier too. Check the regs to see how much Rover you have to keep to avoid SVA. I think that frame will take the Buick. Those underslung frames are easy to build because the engine and transmission sit on top of the frame, not inside it.
    What body is going on it? Coupe or roadster?

28. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Building a fresh frame out of box section steel isn't as traditional as pulling a cool old factory frame out of a junkyard. Many 1940s rods used oddball frames especially those built for the dry lakes. It's underslung and that makes it so cool. It's a 16hp so I think the rear axle will handle the Buick.

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/specials.720448/

30. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Dawie I could probably recite that thread verbatim! Specials and hotrods run parallel and cross over all down the history line. I do have previous too... Ford A in Frazer Nash chassis. Vintage hot rod!

Ned Ludd likes this.