Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split wish bones

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wildbill29tudor, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Splitting wishbones is not rocket science. When in doubt, study, then install as suggested.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So the caster is set in the spring mount cross member then you can make small adjustments with the wishbone mounts. And the wishbone mount height is more of what looks wright. Am I thinking correct or just full of shit?

3. evintho

evintho

Bingo!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moving the wishbone mounts up or down changes the roll center of the vehicle, and will affect handling.

Jet96 likes this.
  5. trollst

trollst

All these varying opinions just scare the shit out of new guys, my opinion is, sit down right here on the net and read all you can, come to a plan that works for you and get on with it. Fact is.....there isn't anyone here, me included, who hasn't done stuff like this for the very first time, and wasn't full of self doubt as to whether it is right. All of us learn by example, reading and doing. Good luck, education is power.

6. JLB3

JLB3

When the split wishbones are mounted out on the frame rails, does that not cause the tire to rub at full lock?

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Tire rub depends on how wide apart the perch bolt holes are.. If using an aftermarket axle you'll have no problem.. Some stock axles(like a 40 Ford) you will have tire rub...

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Does any one make flat top axle perch bolt that has an offset head that would allow for caster adjustment. Some what like camber bolt for struts.

9. Some good information about that here; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824962

Different length bones, different steering setups, concerns about turning radius will all play into the bone mounting question. If you are building standard fare, it is easier. If you are building outside the box, learn the basics, listen to people who have been there, done that. The link above is a great example.;)

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hadn't considered this before, thanks VERY much for posting it. Down raises it?

11. flthd31

flthd31

If your spring is mounted in a cross member that didn't have enough caster when the frame was built, these perch pins are available to allow more caster without putting the spring in a bind. Not too traditional, but they work well.

Attached Files:

12. Give you an idea, Model A axle (same perch centers up to '36) and '40 bones with the rear mount on the inner edge of an A frame. 5:60 x 15 on an early F-100 rim. Less than a quarters diameter clearance to the bones with the spindle against the stock steering stop.

Attached Files:

13. WillieRides57

WillieRides57

A lot of good info here. I'm working on my 1st Model "A" and plan on splitting the 'bones and making my own rear brackets. Built quite a few dirt cars in my time so 5-7 degrees seems reasonable. More initial caster = more difficult they are to turn so I'll stay closer to 4 1/2-5 degrees.

14. mgermca

mgermca

15. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

my 32

Attached Files:

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

17. well writen my friend

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Unsplit wishbones will allow the body to roll more and have a more flexible suspension. Splitting the bones will bind and stiffen the roll (like anti roll bar).

Ago

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

True, but I believe there is a limit as to the amount of strain that split wishbones can sustain over time
    without fracturing, especially if they are spread wider and wider -for instance out to the side rails.

20. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It's amazing how everyone thinks they are an instant mechanical engineer . As if what Henry Ford did was all wrong. Henry Ford had the X configuration suspension all figured out, nothing could be better.

But today everyone thinks that wishbones need to be split, torque tubes aren't necessary, anti-chatter rods are useless, etc etc

The only reason to split a wishbone is to make room for an alternative engine. Your mounts will be determined after you set the axle at 7 deg caster.

dmar836 likes this.
  21. THATS A NICE CHASSIS UNDER THAT TRUCK. ak

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not instant. It took me 8-years. I'm a slow learner.

23. just remember dont buy super bell axles they are cast and they brake, mine did at 35m.p.h. buy SO-CAL axles they are forged

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Also Chassis engineering and Lucky seven are forged as I'm' sure there are others. I believe Australia requires certified aftermarket axles.

Ago

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Very true, But early in the last century the roads were really bad and the chassis were really flexible. I remember driving my Dad's stock Model A in a grass undulating field slow and the whole chassis would bend and twist with the landscape.

Ago

V8-m likes this.