Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

You look like me! Too many Irons in the fire! That T is cool, what's the story on that!

2. Definitely to many irons....I did just finish and sell the econoline, so that is good. The T is just a stock A chassis with a model T coupe body on it. Basically I had a cheap running chassis and got a cheap body. Nothing special or fancy.

3. BTW if anyone is reading this I need a round Stewart Warner Speedo for an A.

4. [​IMG]

Man,I love this truck! HRP

5. Monroe Swap this weekend Matt.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You may have a lot of irons in the fire, but they're all pretty cool irons. Sorry about your grandma.. :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I know just how you feel about all those irons. Keep at them, and try to do one at a time (something I am very guilty of not doing), and you will have a great fleet one day.

And I second the monroe swap promotion.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

8. Post. War. Stuff. Causing. Blindness. :)

Good gravy, not sure how you have the energy for all those projects...I'm sucking it up with just one. Lil pickup looks great, keep at it!!

9. Thanks HRP! I love it too. Gonna be sad when it leaves.

Totally spaced. Gonna have to try and make some time.

thanks man.

Oh I'm well past the "one at a time" phase....

And this is just the hamb friendly stuff :)...I've got a 67 GTO, a 72 K5 blazer, and a 1979 Ford supercab pickup( my grandpa's truck he bought new when he retired.) plus all the stuff I work on...

To be honest I have a fair amount of energy. I have ADHD. Not as bad as most people and luckily I have learned how to focus it well. It's just enough that I am bouncing off the walls if I don't work all day. I take on multiple projects because I loose interest easily as well. It's a blessing and a curse.

10. I've put in about 6 hours in the last 2 nights. If I can keep this up it might actually run soon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Getting close now, looking good.

12. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Wow that's looking really good
    you should be proud

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looking good. Get that banger fired up!

14. Oh man, you're so close now!

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking good Matt!

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

damn,, i'm looking for a 30- '34 pick-up also. very nice.

17. [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone! Here is another little teaser for you. It's a old choke cable out of a 39 buick. I don't know if it was original to that car. But it was the perfect fit for the pickup with the Winfield downdraft and it even fits the stock choke bracket.

18. b-bob

b-bob

I have been quietly been watching this thread and Hitchhiker and especially Chris's A coupe etc.

All this has me more interested in a Banger than working on my 39 coupe. I am slowly been cleaning up my older restoration Avatar, it was a daily driver that really needed a lot of cosmetic re-doing.

What I am trying to say is IT'S ALL YOU GUYS FAULT!!

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Definitely not original to the Buick. They had an automatic choke, my '38 did. I need to do the same with my choke situation, but finding 'the one' is apparently quite a hurdle...

20. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I also have ADD, but it is the reason I am having a hard time completing the 32 Woodie!:(
    Love your build though. Glad someone has learned to harness it:D

21. I heated and bent the shifter last night. It almost touched the bench when in 1st and 3rd. Getting close!

22. Tonight we learned that the F100 steering box is very close to the starter.
    [​IMG]

And here is another teaser for you. I think I bought to big of fuel line (5/16 ID) to fit some of the various things it needs to hook to. Does anyone think 1/4 ID is to small?

[​IMG]

23. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

If your using a pump and I think you are 1/4 is plenty

24. Mart

Mart

As long as the starter isn't actually touching the steering box that's fine. The old engine mounts are pretty stiff, the engine doesn't move around much. On my hudson box into a rhd v8 conversion it was even closer I had to replace one of the bolts with a countersunk one to get the clearance I needed.

Tidy job.

Mart.

25. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'm pretty sure that 1/4" is the size that you want from the firewall to the carb.

BTW, do you have anymore of the clamps you used for the upper radiator hose? Mine are just a hair too small.

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

PM me jan. i know where there is a dismantled 34 truck project

27. Excellent!

Good to know, Thanks Mart!

I've got some for you.

28. Well, I had a hell of a day trying to find fittings to make this fuel line work. I bought some 1/4 inch line and a bunch of other crap. I thought I was going to get to fire this thing today. But it didn't work out. I didn't realize my mistake in the beginning, so now I have a bunch of stuff I don't need, but oh well. I think I've found what I needed in the first place. But I had to special order it. I'm going to keep the 5/16 Cunifer fuel line I originally got. I found fittings for the fuel shut off valve and carb that work with the 5/16 line. and I found a 1/8" NPT male to 1/2" x 20 female adapter to fit the fuel filter and the pump. I've also found the 1/2" x 20 unf male fitting for 5/16 line. So I think I am good there. I'm going to double check all the bolts and everything while I wait for the fittings

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  29. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

sounds like you need to work on your hording skills ;):D

30. Matt, are you shooting for the Ford Picnic on June 1st?