Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage coil pic thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 4 banger 4 life, Feb 2, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I want a round bottom mallory. When you find one, do they usually still work? Any quick tests/things to look out for that you can do at a swap meet?

What sort of primary/secondary numbers should I be looking for on a multi meter for one of these?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You can't really do a total test, because most dying elderly coils break down under heat and function adequately cold.
    If you carry 2 wires with alligator clips and a short secondary wire you can easily find out if it makes sparks...using the fleamarket vendor's vehicle for power. I wouldn't worry about using 12 on 6 briefly, though it might soup up a weak coil a bit. One wire to power, hold the secondary with its end close to metal, ground and release other wire to simulate points. If the thing zaps, see how far it can zap and check color of spark...a thin blue spark is not good, fat yellow one good. But the test does not matter until it has run up heat and distance in your engine compartment, so it remains a crap shoot.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Bruce, Sounds like roll the dice, hope for the best.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To enhance the experience, have the seller hold the secondary wire..."Here, hold this so it doesn't scratch your fender will I figure out..."...while you work the primaries. The quality of the audio will indicate the quality of the spark. Then if the damn thing is no good in actual use, you already have your vengeance...

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I had a Crumbliss coil just like that one Carter has. Glad to see someone appreciates neat stuff like this!

6. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya keep em comming

7. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

Did Harmon Collins ever make a coil?

8. Carter

Carter

Not that I've ever seen.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pretty sure not. For their earlier distributors I think they specified Ford 1942-8 coils.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've got a '53 Echlin electrical catalog here...the IC 55, one of the many slightly different versions of the bulb resistor beehive with its Bear logo, is described thus:
    "universally recognized as the word's finest ignition coil--featuring easy starting-low current draw-high output."

11. moose

moose

Here's my Mallory Mag-Spark (6-volt) and matching Mallory dual point, on a Plymouth flathead 6 in my Model A.

Attached Files:

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I was a kid, that was one of the first things my "mentor" did to me. Picked up a mag, held out a plug wire, said "hold this" and gave it a spin...:eek: ha, ha, ha, big friggen joke, make the 12 year old jump out of his skin...:rolleyes: Now, sweep the floor, when you are done, clean the crank thats in the parts washer...

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My cousin chased me around the garage spinning his Buick Vertex mag in the early 60s. :D

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oh, yes...could you bring me the condenser? I left it on the bench by the electrical plug...

Well, it weeds out apprentices with weak hearts...

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to buy every neat old coil I can find if the price is right. Last year, I sent a couple to Skip Haney in Florida. He can check them out and tell you if they're good or not (my old "round-bottom" Mallory checked out A1). he usually specializes in early Ford coils, but he can rebuild some other makes as well. I don't know if he wants to get into mail order coil testing, but he did me what I consider a huge favor for a reasonable cost.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Is it possible to change out the 6V to 12V on a 1C 55, I would definitely run it if that was possible?

Attached Files:

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just experiment with coil resistors...I think 1960's Mopar ones drop to roughly 6V area...and keep the bulb ballast to keep it in its happy relationship with the 6V.
    I would think you want around 7v, since cars really run on generator voltage, and you will need to see what specific resistors do with your coil operating and warmed up, since actual current draw will determine actual results from a given resistance.
    If the thing turns out to be dying, then think rebuild with fresh innards.

18. Carter

Carter

Another variation on the '39 and back Echlin I recently picked up.

Attached Files:

19. A couple of my own...nothing fancy, a 28-29 Bosch 'slant pole' and an NORS "United American Bosch" coil (dates from approx 1930-1938).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Muttley

Muttley

I found one like this Echlin for my Dad to run on his '31 Coupe:

[​IMG]

21. Carter

Carter

I hadn't really thought about it, but the Echlin I just bought looks identical to the New Haven coils except for the cap. I wonder if they made that style coil in San Fran or if mine is just a later coil with an earlier cap?

22. That's cool, never saw a clear coil. Would be great with the clear valve covers I've seen.

23. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Ultra High Frequency...
    HF coil.jpg

buickvalvenut likes this.
  24. WOW!!!! I guess I need to pick your brain about what coil I should be looking for. Nice collection!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd like to find an old Wizard finned coil if anyone has a line on one.

26. +1; @Carter knows his stuff!

27. Carter

Carter

@Hitchhiker
    Thanks! There are lots of cool old coils out there. I went on a coil buying binge last year. Not sure why, I just think it's another one of those little details that can really stand out to a lunatic like me.

@JeffreyJames
    I'll keep a look out for one for ya JJ. Will you be at the Jalopy Showdown this year? I have something for you.

@gwhite
    As do you, sir.

28. snelson57

snelson57

I knew enough to buy these today at an estate sale, but that is about where it ends. Two Bear IC55's and a Filko AWC-6HD. I thought maybe they were from earlier cars, but it appears from the above posts that the Bear's are 1930's. Can anyone tell me anything about the Filko?

Attached Files:

29. Lunatic's like US o_O

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

image.jpg Here's a Blue Streak I just scored.

Last edited: May 17, 2014