Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects return of the TELSTAR

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kustom7777, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

keep me posted, cory

2. alchemy

alchemy

It would look more like a real hardtop if you could remove the stump from the front of your door's top. When guys leave those little parts sticking up it seems they didn't finish the job. To make it perfect, trim it flush with the rest of the door top. Just like a real hardtop does.

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i may do exactly that,,,,when i stand back and look at that piece, it kind of annoys me too,,,:)

4. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

When I made my hardtop window frames, I started with square tube so that I could bend it without it kinking. Then once I had them shaped right, I used a mini air saw to cut out one side of the tube to create a C channel. It was pretty easy to work this way, and the bends were really clean without the waves from working it.
    When you cut out the one side of the tube, you can leave a little lip on the edges to hold the felt channel in place.

Kustom7777 likes this.
  5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

a few update pics...hardtopping operation well underway!....filled in some of the catwalk and sail panel,,,,found a donor roof so i can finally get that gaping hole in the roof filled in,,,,,,(don't have it yet)......if you look at my avatar, you can see i made a primitive attempt at a photoshop section job,,,two inches looked best, so that's where it'll go this time,,,,the "magic formula" of one third window, two thirds body" seems to work here....i will still be doing the stude fins,,,and some things i will keep secret for the time being,,,,,feels great to be making progress again on the car.....here are a few pics,,,,can one of you photoshop experts possibly lower the car, add wide whitewalls and 53 caddy caps, and maybe fill in that hole in the roof.. :)

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

THIS is the photo i was hoping someone could photoshop...

7. 10366314_10200999787676981_8569877510233520693_n copy.jpg

Attached Files:

Outback and koolkemp like this.
  8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it looks absolutely spectacular james....exactly what i was looking for. thank you SO much! this confirms for me that i'm heading down the right path,,,lots of neat surprises coming up!

koolkemp likes this.
  9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Cool, I like this look better myself. Good luck, anxious to see the build process.

10. FLAT BLACK 42

FLAT BLACK 42
    from West coast

Car is looking good

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Greezeball

Greezeball

Been following this on FB its going to be killer!!

12. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

I really like the fins. Is tail light treatment a secret?

13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

about time good luck

14. Looking forward to more of this build, nothing like having a go at it yourself. Nice to have the right climate to work on it outdoors.

15. 416Ford

416Ford

I think you have it now. The front lower radius and the rear radius seem to match. One sharp and one rounded may not look as good. The Merc has a much heavier chop and can pull it off.
    Hope you get this version completed.

16. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i'm determined to complete the car.....way more focused this time around,, :)

17. James nailed it. longer roofline but it needs a tad more crown

18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it's the stock amount of crown,,,maybe the angle is just weird,,james d didnt make any alterations on the roof,,he did fill it with color....basically he lowered the car for me, added wide whites, and caps....i sectioned myself via photoshop (that's ll i could manage with my limited photoshop skills)..originally i was thinking i would REMOVE some of the crown,,but i love it as is....

19. That will be a turning point. Not to flat and not to much crown. Good luck!

20. The amount of crown can appear to vary wildly depending onthe angle of the photo. I wouldn´t worry about changing it, as it seems to be about right on every other shoebox.

Just made up some Hirohata style window frames for you. It´ll look good I think.
    10366314_10200999787676981_8569877510233520693_n copy copy.jpg

Outback likes this.
  21. Torchie

Torchie

Now your cooking. Looks great and I agree with James. Don't mess with the roof crown.
    Torchie.

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

you did a great job on those as usual james..thank you SO much for all your help....now, and throughout the years.......now, hopefully i can duplicate them in steel..

23. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

a little more progress on the drivers side.... 019.JPG

24. This is awesome! I can't wait to watch the progress of this bad bitch.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Some major surgery going on here.Will be following along.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

here is a rough idea of an idea that's been brewing in my brain for the past week or so,,,i've always like the copperhead shoebox ford owned by billy gibbon, and have been trying to picture my own version of what the car would look like as a 3 window coupe. i would extend the doors 6 1/2 inches, move the jamb to compensate of course,,,mine would be a 3 window coupe HARDTOP...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!10_n.jpg

27. I like the Hirohata window trim better than the 3w mockup

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it would still have hirohata merc style window frames...but be a three window hardtop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hirohataframes.jpg

29. Jim,
    I really like the straight line coming up from the bottom of the paper mock up...makes it look like a convertible top. I'd be tempted to do a two tone thing with that top.

ps. When will we see the return of Misfit?

30. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

3 window coupe, reminded of billy gibbons "copperhead" ford. Very cool.