Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Steel or New Glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserchief, May 14, 2014.

1. Diehard32

Diehard32

I bought and built a Speedway Lowboy that someone had already started because that's the look I liked and that's what I could afford. Had a blast building it and couldn't stop smiling while driving it. When a hot rod drives by, everybody stares and gives the thumbs up without ever considering whether it is steel or glass. Build what you want and enjoy for yourself. 1400119800599.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have one of each and enjoy them both. The advice here (including this post) is worth exactly what you're paying for it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. gas & guns

gas & guns

Glass makes me itch.

4. O.K So that brings me full circle, I'd like to hear from the guys that have built a glass body and what you thought of the Body/company/support ...Possitive, negative, why

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

How I always reply to questions like this "if you have to ask go for the new stuff" you will probably be happier with it. Leave all the old stuff for us guys who just have to have the old stuff.

6. rails32

rails32

I bought a glass 32 5 window. not because I can't work metal it was cheaper. New Age Motor Sports makes the best glass body.comes chopped with all windows installed,garnish moldings,tilt out windshield,cowl vent,doors and trunk installed.stock firewall,not some flat piece with maybe an x.It is as close to steel as you can get.mine has been on the road for 8 years with no problems.bolted right on to an original Henry frame.

7. So you're with me on the steel corvette thing, right? :D:D

8. 22 track

22 track

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I built 2 glass 32 Ford 3 windows, The 2nd one I made the cowl vent, back window,and fold out windshield all work. Put outside original style hinges on it. most people thought it was real steel for years. I built glass because it was cheaper. I really liked the glass cars. Then 2 years ago a real Henry fell in my lap for a good deal. Working on the steel car now. Still driving the 2nd glass car. My opinion, the 32 3 window is my favorite hot rod,and would not trade for a Model A. Since this your last build, make it the car you always wanted the most.

Ago

10. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

"Real Henry Steel"
    Sorry to point this out, but isn't that statement an oxymoron?
    I read all these builds, cars for sale, etc, followed by that statement: Real Henry Steel, then they're repaired with NOT Real Henry Steel patch panels; some of these cars have more patch panels and MIG wire than Real Henry Steel left, so what makes it real?
    I'd take a quality built glass body over a bucket of rust/patches/wire any day. Sure, that's my opinion, but come on guys, Hot Rodding might have been started by modifying existing STEEL bodies, but when they're becoming extinct, you might as well buy a quality glass unit, and get on the road years ahead. Yup, I'm sure this is going to start a war.