Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. deuce354

deuce354

Picked up a new project over the weekend. A IMCA champ car. 96" wheelbase , spring front, paralell rear torsion car. Powered by a Hilborn Injected 427 Chev BIG BLOCK! Raced by Bob Davis of Dayton. This car could be the first sprint ever built with a big block. Bob raced this car at all the IMCA paved tracks. Winchester, St Paul, Dayton, New Bremmen. Ft Wayne. Bob qualified for the middle of the front row in the 69 Little 500. He was involved in a wreck about half way & flipped it. The wreck can be seen in Dick Wallens Sprint Car Highlights Vol 5. Its a really cool car. Im going to mock it up for now, & build some headers for it to display it this summer. Then i will build a engine for it. The paint on the chassis is pretty much gone. I might redo the chassis & leave the original paint on the body. It is a real beast. Has about a 50 gallon fuel tank.

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nice find! Very complete with good Wheel and Tire package. That's rare...

Good going!

J Shaw

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

NSSN published these pictorials during WWII, no menton of the exact date racing was stoped in the USA.

Attached Files:

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's been reported that A.J. Watson has died at age 90. watson 3.JPG watson 1.JPG watson 2.JPG

7. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

One of the really down to earth guys you would ever meet.
    God speed my friend

32STUPRES likes this.
  8. 80WTI

80WTI

This a couple pics of my Grandfather back in the day at Brisbane Exhibition Speedway in Australia, I will have to get over to my Grandmothers house and scan alot more soon, but hopefully this might interest someone here.
    [​IMG]
    This was his first car

9. 80WTI

80WTI

then he built this car from scratch, he built the first fibreglass body in Australia and was copied from a picture from the American cars and scaled up and then he built a solid timber buck and planed it all by hand and then made a fiberglass mould.
    [​IMG]

10. 80WTI

80WTI

11. .....glad your back.....like the new format....

12. pljas

pljas

wish I could get any early IMCA sprint records between 1963-1965 my uncle drove for Jerry Pittman in the 98 and this car looks like the same car driven by CRA stars they wanted to win I have a piece of vedio showing him and Nolan Johncock getting together at Winchester, my uncle 's name was Joe Giusti one of the bigshots around Stockton Sacramento who won the Gold Cup in 60 so he was no slouch ,just wish I could find more he was a great hero to me. Thanks for reading Jerry Smith

13. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

14. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Jerry, i have a lot of IMCA yearbooks from the 50;s, 60;s . i would sell them if i could do the whole lot. thanks, Tommy Caruso. let me know.

15. pljas

pljas

what do you want for them,I wish I knew he was listed as the driver of the 98 in 1963,1964,1965.thanks for your reply.Jerry

16. Racer12

Racer12

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400091347.359081.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400091376.232506.jpg

Any one on here know anything about this Crew shirt I bought. Did a little research an saw that there was a Chiropractic Special in late 50's at the Speedway. Thanks for any help'

Bob

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At Indy 1957 there were 2 Chiropractic Spls. One was fielded by Hopkins and driven by Jim Rathmann who finished 2nd. The other was fielded by Dr. Sabourine and was driven by Bud Clemons and was a DNQ. chiro 1.JPG chiro 2.JPG

18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

It's starting to come back....I guess.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Have you got your midget hammered back straight again? :) Zimm.jpg

20. ...still getting on with my street sprint project.....mounted the oil filter housing,and plumbed the oil lines....another headache over..... DSC05177.JPG DSC05178.jpg

pljas and Al Consoli like this.
  21. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I must be getting old. It took me forever to get hooked back up on here !!!

Black vette 59 likes this.
  22. .......Stan.....we're all getting old...:)

23. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Swiekert DA.jpg Just checking to see if I can post a photo.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Beats the alternative :D

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Stan, When I said "it's starting to come back" I was referring to this forum, they put it in the shop and it comes back different (grrr), but I'm getting use to it. Wish they would leave it alone...if it aint broke don't fix it. As for the midget it's good to go this Saturday, can't wait. The weather forecast looks bad though. Denny Z.

26. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

tommy h.jpg My buddy.

Al Consoli likes this.
  27. ........we're all becoming ''grumpy old men''......don't like change.....

28. pljas

pljas

Is this the travel on trailer special "nice"

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

30. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

After starting 32nd Rathmann was the fastest car on the track in the 1957 500. And he was leading after the halfway point when the handling suddenly went away. It turned out that a frame weld had broken but as you stated he still held on to finish second. The Salih laydown led something of a charmed life in both 1957 and 1958 in winning the 500. It was probably only a top five car by 1958 at best had it not been for the first lap crash taking out several better cars. In fact, the whole laydown concept was never really much of an advantage at all and only Johnny Thomson was ever able to win another Championship race in one. The laydowns were a great story for a few years but the truth is that you were always probably better off in a Watson roadster with a strong upright Offy.