Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jalopy Journal & The H.A.M.B. - Version 7.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 12, 2014.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i like the look and the style if the site itself. way tooo much white space and the font is small and to read in places . at least for this guy... i find myself not even browsing due these few things. this is all just constructive criticism.

Gizzy likes this.
  2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

Beautiful work, as always, Ryan.

3. aldixie

aldixie

Glad your back. Looks great. I work in IT and know how things don't go to plan.

4. In other news today, Ryan's head explodes!

cronkite-9c7a0a89eb55bb19f783531c560faf3645f2d9c9-s6-c30.jpg

nuclear-bomb-explosion.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    gwhite likes this.
  5. My old eyes love the big print, the site is beautiful.

6. griff321

griff321

I like what I see so far nice work

7. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I agree,too much white.Otherwise I like it.

8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Changing a website is never an easy decision to make for a number or reasons.

I find many people dislike like any changes because they become complacent and the thought of learning something New or even different scares them.

The other problem for web designers is no matter who tells you the changes will go smoothly moving things around or changing to New servers it's been my experience that the changes you make never go the way you think they will. Some how it always sounds easier on paper then it really is.

I like the New look and I thing you have done a very good job of changing with the times.

Jim Hill

9. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

great job Ryan, they should have got you to do the Obumma care rollout !

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The two most common complaints to far:

1. The font is too big and there is too much white space.
    2. The font is too small and hard to read. How do I make it bigger?

These will settle in fellas. This is a common reaction to change... Give it a chance. You'll get to used to it... We actually did a lot of testing on font size and contrast...

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

What are 'trophy points'? and why does Ryan have 38 under 'most points'(notable members)
    and 1 under 'staff members' (notable members)?

12. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

love it ! thanks Ryan

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm confused

14. I like the font size and spacing. I sit at a desk all day, and my computer is about 3-4 feet away from my head. It's a comfortable size for someone who isn't mouth breathing on their screen.

As for being too bright, I wonder how many people have their screen brightness or contrast cranked up all the way. I keep mine at about 50% and don't find the white background to be problematic at all.

15. Here's another vote FOR the font size and white space. Lots easier to read.

16. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I'm seeing ads on the app now, what's the deal?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I like the new layout.

It was due for a change. People will bitch and complain at the start, and even "threaten" to never come back. But they will...when they google search info and the best answers direct them back to the hamb, because this place has the best info on the web for hot rodders and customizers. For those rejecting the new Hamb, take a deep breath and relax...this site just got better and you dont even know it yet.

Cheers to Ryan and his team for their hard work and vision. Glad youre back up and running

Big T and gwhite like this.
  18. Those ads are courtesy of tapatalk...Ryan is raising Hell trying to get them removed.

19. Zeke

Zeke

It's been a while. Didn't really like the last version at all. too clunky and just didn't feel like home. So I bailed for the most part. Only pop in to see how the 40StudeDude's 60 build was going. Seems like an major improvement visually at least and that is what pained me the most before. I really like what I see so far. Good job!

20. OUTSTANDING!!!!

21. 69fury

69fury

Looks great- One request (might already have been made) Can we get the preview of the first post back (when we hover the mouse over a thread title)? It's nice to get the preview to pop up without having to click on every thread.

22. super-six

super-six

Same problem with me as others. Font size too large and too much line spacing. This is causing excessive scrolling and not enough posts per page. I did not see any way to change this in the user preferences. I also miss the hover-for-preview feature.

23. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

Very nice work, Ryan and team! And great choice of switching to XenForo & WordPress from VBulletin. You now have a ton of features to build from.

24. Every time the HAMB goes into the shop, I have the same question but always forget to ask. Who exactly is "the German"?

25. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Looks Sweet! All your hard work paid off. I'm sure there will be growing pains and lots of new stuff to learn.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A terrible man really. I suspect he is some sort of a closet Nazi - only less compassionate. I work with him because he has his hands on a very dark secret of mine. It's extortion, sure... But he's also pretty decent with a keyboard.

Never get involved with a German - German cars or German developers. They will make your life miserable.

hotrod mike likes this.
  27. Crankhole

Crankhole

I agree with others about the font size and line spacing. Hopefully, my eyes will adjust. But, I ain't goin' anywhere, regardless.

28. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

can you make the logo bigger?

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I agree, I totally grooved on this little feature!! I hope it does make its way back.

30. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Just logged in, first feeling was what the f... first because i hate Facebook. Really loved the site before, wont rule it out right away will give it a chance...