Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tony Miller's Custom 40 Ford Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Apples and Pineapples. That's a '41. :)The conversation above had reverted to the glamor of some 41s. Not an easy car to make over and look good . Like if not done right ,leave it stock. I have never seen an ugly 40 . hmmm?:D

AND How about that color (paint) ? It would look good on the Tony Miller's Custom . Showy don't you think?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Pay attention, John. Posts #445-449 were all referencing '41s.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey Tony,

Gregorie's handling of the '41 makes total sense given his back ground as a yacht designer, he had a thing for tight,'' flowie '' lines. His work on the original " Connies '' was lite years from the last run of the Lincoln " K Series " Too, the '39-'40 Ford designs were penned in what, '37, early 38 for 39 production? There were still several stand alone fender designs in production, in the industry, outside Ford Motor Company during that era. His work on the '41 looks to be the next step towards his ''envelope'' designs.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

True dat, but I think few of us would regard the '41 as a superior design to the '40 today.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

But the thing is Gregorie did!:)

If we could look look at the 39/40, not thru the prisim of a hot rod/custom icon, but from the auto design rolling ''freek show'' of ''productionized'' details ( much like the 32's were) that they were, we could see where E.T. Gregorie was comming from. Park a 38, 39/40 Delux & a '41 model side by each, and study the many design details that changed in just one year of production.
    It musta been a real mutha for Gregorie workin for Ford Motor Company in the latter days of the Depression, with Edsel sick, and Henry's '' henchmen'' wanting to stab Gregorie in the ass, first chance they got. It's a wonder the designs he did do during that era were as cohesive as they turned out!;)

6. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Guys, the last couple of days I have been looking throught my collection of "Little Pages" trying to find the Car Craft article on John Dietrich's 40' DeLuxe coupe built by Valley Custom. John had his Valley Custom mild custom 51' BelAir in the October 1955 issue of Car Craft, the 40' was to be in an upcoming issue...

This Black 40' had big & little WSWs, mild custom mods, chromed up dual fours on a Cadillac. In 1955 John had both Valley Custom Hot Rod & Valley Custom...CUSTOM at the same time... I think I should mention the stunning brunette pictured in both articles.

Wanted to use the photos to show how the premier restylers of the day often tossed those out of place military looking taillights away and replaced them with the fitting and very approriate 41' Studebaker tailights... Valley must put them on at least a half dozen 40's.

Wonder if anyone ever questioned Gregorie why he used the chevron lights. It's odd that Gregorie didn't mention the 40' in his biography, because I think its generally excepted that the 40' is the standout over the 39' offering, and that is very rare in automotive design, the second year bettering the first version. Example; the simple & clean lines of the 57' Olds and the 44 lbs of trim on the cluttered 58' Olds models.
    John Dietrich his cars, his ladies have been my hero for long, long time...dyno dave

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Congrats are in order for 50Fraud, his fraudlent 55' Victoria made its way into this months issue of Street Rodder, p.110-112... Nice photos and a good coverage of the Vic's features. Tony, just keep on "Slicin & Dicin" them Frauds....dyno dave

8. Thought I'd add a picture for Dave's comment above.

[​IMG]

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A sneak peek from Don today:

[​IMG]

10. Getting exciting Tony!

11. turdytoo

turdytoo

Wow, great vision and execution.

12. I can't wait. It has to be killing you Tony!?

13. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

fantastic build ! love the grille idea, will watch
    side note, what happened to the gto in the early pics? (im a goat nut)
    goatboy

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The chassis build is moving pretty fast now. Don is working toward engine start/parking lot drive-around in about three weeks, and a running/driving debut at Paso Maria five weeks later. No paint, interior, side glass or top, of course, but a real driver to walk around. Yes, I'm very excited.

It was in Don's shop for quite a while for a makeover, but I never saw it finished. Maybe Don will pipe in and tell us the outcome.

15. Great news I look forward to getting to see it in person at Santa Maria.

16. DRD57

DRD57

The GTO is still here. It's been over in the paint shop (mostly collecting dust) for a while. In the process of color sanding and buffing it now. I'll make sure it's in the background of another shot soon. :D

17. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

this has been an exceptional build,big vision and big talent,,awesome coverage,, i would think a tv series, would be a big hit

18. I love that grill....

19. DRD57

DRD57

Anybody know how to invert a video that some knucklehead recorded upside down. I've got spy video of Tony driving this thing around the parking lot.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  20. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Don,

You can rotate it in Windows Movie Maker

Cheers,
    Rob

21. DRD57

DRD57

Thanks, that worked.

Next stop, Santa Maria.

22. Awesome can't wait to see it there!!

23. FASI

FASI

Tony, it is really taking shape and will be a spectacular example that should be admired as a milestone custom. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Keith

24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It's about time for an update on this awesome car!!

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You are pretty much up to date. The last time the car was together for "looks" is shown in post #414. The next day it was torn apart to build up the chassis for real. Progress photos of the engine and chassis appeared in posts #431, 434, and 459; the bare body went back on the chassis and the various linkages and lines were hooked up for a test ride last week. That's shown in Don's video in post #471, above. Now the body's going back together and will be re-primed, and will get a little bling hung on it for a trip to Santa Maria on Memorial Day weekend! Of course we'll post pictures of it when it's all back together again.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Crazydaddyo likes this.
  26. Well, it's officially alive now Tony! Yes, I am jealous, but in a good way.;)

27. Good to see it running Tony. Too bad about that ugly guy behind the wheel.:D

28. Sounding good - a first run is extra special. Should get plenty of interest at the event. Hope we see some pictures.
    All the best.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Important decision about side trim: No, that's too long.
    [​IMG]

Important decision about tailpipes: Yeah, that's it.
    [​IMG]
    I realize that these are hardly interesting updates, but I'm 200 miles away from the car and I hungrily pounce on any news I get from Don. Hard to grasp that a week from tonight we're supposed to have it in Santa Maria.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  30. DRD57

DRD57

We're READY!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Chili Phil likes this.