Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Painted or Powder Coated Supreme Wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ~PK~, May 13, 2014.

1. ~PK~

~PK~

Anybody ever done any ie have any photos of any? Can't find anything on Google. Chrome is pitting and I've got to do something. Thanks in advance!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Muttley

Muttley

I'm guessing there is a good reason for that.

slammed likes this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

take a brillo pad to them. anything but chrome will be goofy and worse than the rust.

4. slammed

slammed

Replace them after you sell the distressed/patina (yes he did) set to some one that does not mind the wear/pitting. Supremes other than chrome will look cheap.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I had blasted and painted a set of Cragar SS wheels and added trim rings to them. They didn't look bad, but they end up looking like a Torq-thrust wheel with the painted centers. I don't think that would work well on a Supreme.

Get some good chrome polish and do your best to keep them maintained. I think the paint is going to look worse than the pitting.

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I had a friend that touched them up with aluminum spray paint then took a brillo pad to remove the paint that got on the chrome. They didn't look to bad.......................

7. Squablow

Squablow

I've done that with crusty bumpers except I wipe the excess off with thinner before it fully dries, just to fill in the little spots. Not as good as new chrome of course, but it can really bring an old bumper back to life for a driver type situation.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Maybe powder coat a darker silver. Need to do the caps to match. Still not chrome.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Chrome is pitted on the rear "Supremes" type wheels on the car in the picture in my avatar...apparently if you're going fast enough, Hot Rod mag will put a picture of your car on their web page, whether or not it has rusty pitted wheels.
    In other words, clean them up the best you can, and drive the car and don't worry about it.

10. RatPin

RatPin

CLR and fine steel wool should have them looking good as new.

11. luckystiff

luckystiff

lemon juice. if it's pity you can do lemon juice and baking soda made into a paste...

but i forget who but one of the companies making the copies is doing a painted version. seems like i saw them on ebay or summit one....

12. never crossed my mind to paint them, anyone have pictures? o_O
    i cannot picture them in my head. i keep visualizing torque thrusts