Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn Find! - 1949 Ford with 129,000 miles! (edit) :-)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, May 13, 2014.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

I've been teaching at this high school about a half hour north of me called East Central. They've been working really hard at trying to improve the school- between last year and this year we had about 40 percent of the teachers get replaced!

One of the new teachers who's right across the hall from me bought her grandfathers old place. Its a really cool farm! I was super jealous of the old wood barns on the site... its about 45min north of the school... near Lake Superior.

One day she was talking about these two old 49 fords she needed out of her barn. I tuned in right away... and followed it up.

What I found was this amazing car... with 29k original miles that her grandfather had owned... and a 50 parts car to boot and another 49 front clip with complete grill.

It was a time warp... sitting in the car and breathing in this smell of old mohair.

I swear it smells exactly like my old 49 did when I bought it at age 15.

Initially I was expecting to find a couple of parts cars... and parts cars are what I need. The shoebox fords I have are missing clips and all of the other parts that burned in the shop fire. I really needed a clip for my chopped 49 so I'm stoked about that-

I don't need any more projects... but a car this clean I just couldn't turn down.

It has every option known to man- overdrive, dual spots, skirts, fulton sun shield, 15" wheels, some other switches under the dash I've never seen in a shoebox before- map lights maybe?

The key even works in the trunk.

I'm going to get it home, clean it up- spot in the paint where needed and just preserve it... and use the parts car and clip to save the other stuff. Slightly lower it to dial in the stance...
    Its the right color. BLACK. I love it-

The seats are in really nice shape- wasn't any smell of mice or signs that they had been inside anywhere- some wear and stains on the door panels-

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG 10296938_1432045897049912_1817093603_na.jpg
    8-25-49 came from Blackduck Mn.

I'll post more pics when schools out and I get a chance to haul it home-

Tuck

Model T1, volvobrynk and Copper Top like this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow Tuck congratulations very cool car and great find. We can't wait to see what your plans for her are.

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Man, it pays to stay in school! Cool find, those teachers are the best!

4. Brings back memories. The first car I remember riding in was my dad's 49 coupe. Always had a soft spot left for one. Great score.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool find.. My first car was a 49 Ford...

6. perk30

perk30

Cool find. Looking forward to more pics.

7. Ole don

Ole don

There is a 49 coupe near where I live with a near perfect body. The guy will never part with it, but he is in poor health. You young guys save your money! I plan to help the family sell his stuff if he passes away.

8. brady1929

brady1929

Cool, congrats

9. looks like it has 129,000 miles on it by the way the interior and steering wheal look

10. what a great find !! congrats !

11. nice car, if you don't wont it bring it to my house!

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

49s are my favorite shoebox . Way to go.

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

There are multiple Phillips 66 oil change records in the door with dates that look like they progress to 29k- last licensed in 76- there isn't a spot of rust on it- so for this area (salt)
    I'm just going with what I saw- agree the wheel looks pretty worn- and looking at this pic the clutch pedal has good wear on it too... I'll know more when I get it home! Even if it was 129k It wouldn't matter make any difference to me- I don't even care about the mileage- its so cool its never been messed with. Stock floor mat, kick panels are there- original headliner- its just amazing!

Most of the cars I've come across have been really blown up on the inside and rusty- I didn't take any pics of the engine bay but its very clean.

I paid $2500 for the two cars and the extra 49 front clip!! Both cars run. That's just over scrap prices in this area. Her dad was doing the negotiating and originally wanted 3500. I just stuck to the 2500 because that's all the disposable cash I could throw at it. I ended up having to do yearbook staff this year which was a PITA and that covered most of it.

I need to pour cement and wire the shop in august so I need to save $-

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  14. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Nice find. Now you and @tokyo can race to get shoeboxes on the road.

15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Lovely car. The better one was worth three times what you paid!

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

That first picture looks like a model car in a diorama. How did you do that?

17. Very cool car!

18. Oh man! Awesome!

19. Ha)-

Man, I will give you 2500.00 for that black car alone..then you can have the others for free :D:D:D

20. Zerk

Zerk

The right buyer, the right price. Congratulations!

21. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Good Score:) Sure brings back good memories, as my first car being a 49 Ford Coupe:)

K
    Taildragger&fenderless

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool find! Congratulations! I know you will do it justice.

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looks to have overdrive...bonus!

24. very cool car! pictures of the teacher? is she hot?

25. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Man, sweet deal!

27. Whoops " Only if you could bottle up the old car smell I would buy a Gallon

28. Nice to see you get those, helps make up for the previous losses you've had. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Tuck what an awesome find like I told you!! :cool:

Jason