Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

Has anyone actually got a set of the new bias look radial American Classics yet? I am considering it, but the cost is stopping me until I hear that they are round and ride well. They show as in stock at coker and other online vendors. I emailed DB a couple of weeks ago about their ones, but have not had a response, which I assume means still no word on release date.
    cheers
    ricki

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Honestly, I seriously doubt they'll look like a bias tire. I want them to because I'd consider getting a set. But, after a lot of reading, on another forum, I doubt they can pull it off.

3. I had a set of 820R15's show up last night - they look good to me - Need to get them mounted - but i think they are gonna fit the bill.

4. Can you post up some pics for us?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I e-mailed Diamondback twice a couple weeks apart with no response (I know...could've called, but not as convenient during my work hours) regarding their Auburn Deluxe Radial (bias look). I ended up going with the Firestone Deluxe Champion WWW bias plies from Coker & have had good luck so far.

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must be the odd man out here but I have been running the regular old Coker "Firestone" bias black walls on my Model "A" for over a year. Around town, on the Interstate and 120 mph at MOKAN...zero complaints.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

7. Better knock on wood quick!

8. I don't have the "Firestones' but I do have the bis ply Coker whitewalls on my pickup,,7 years now with no complaints! HRP

9. hudson48

hudson48

I believe this is a set on a car being built in Toowoomba by Warren Wilkie.
    They looked OK and would like to see how they ride.

Attached Files:

10. Those are Coker Classic 16" radials.

11. 59 brook

59 brook

new coker frt and rears . while customer service has been good i have also experienced problems with the silverton white walls on 2 occasions with an avg of 8 oz of weight per tire to balance but the tires were egg shaped

Attached Files:

12. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I'm probably gonna sound like an idiot, but what are those wheels?

13. 59 brook

59 brook

got them off ebay a few yrs ago all it said was "HALIBRAND STYLE" wheel

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

15. Scumdog

Scumdog

Imagine how much they will cost by the time they get to New Zealand...:eek:

16. They're breathtaking................the price is!!

17. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

how'd you make out with these tires, I'm curious to know because I contemplating on buying a set for my coupe deville. nice looking tire.

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

19. Keep

Keep

They look like ET Wheels. I was just looking at some prior to reading this thread.

http://www.team3wheels.com/

20. jer11ren

jer11ren

I've seen them in person and was contemplating a purchase until then. The rears looked so close to my 215//85-16s in size and tread appearance that it didn't seem worth the effort and money. I went with firestone bias and have put 3200 miles on them in the last month and love them. Had them road force balanced and the fronts required no weights, the rears very little except we discovered I had a bent wheel and they still balanced to 17lbs road force. It ran smoother than any of my dailies on the trip to Austin from PHX, but at 75 there was a slight vibe. Replaced the bent wheel and now I have to be careful as I often look down and I'm running 85-90. My first bias and I'll never go back on an open wheeled car, they just look right.

Jerry

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. So any pictures of the new bias looking radials on a finished car with all the weight on the wheels.? I would like to see if they keep the look of a bias or bulge like a normal radial.

22. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

Some 16inch Coker Classic Radial Pics:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741950.100001631479433&type=1&l=caf08c19ff

We just compared firestone bias-plys ( 6.00/7.50x16) to the coker classics & excelsiors and a set db 195/80R16 - 215/85R16 combo:
    Coker classic drives a lot better than bias ply firestone. Cornering, braking, wet conditions, smooth at speed 90mph, runs well straight down the highway, everything is well at the radial. Excelsior is the choise if you go frequently above 100mp/h. Its a good performance tire. Not everybody likes the 30ties racecar thread of the excelsiors. Best tires on a full fender when it cames to driving performance is the DB combo.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  23. dodge59

dodge59

talked to a gentleman today that has bought the new coker bias look radial tires. 7.10x15..
    He is not a happy camper ...so to speak.. he says " the tires have to narrow of a tread and the sidewalls like to roll under when cornering. making quite a bit of noise"." the tires ride real nice on the breeze way and likes his old bias tires he had previously".
    He just does not like how it corners. the tires look awesome I think !

24. dodge59

dodge59

I could not tell the difference in the side wall on the new bias radial tires. I thought they were bias until I asked to owner of the car about the tires . NO radial bulge appearance at all.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  25. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

Well, you guys kept me in suspense for too long, so I bit the bullet and purchased a set of the Radial American Classics from Coker for my 1949 Chevy. 6.70x15 which I mounted on '55 Chevy rims. Here is what they look like. This is more of a show than a tell, as I have not used them enough to report on real handling characteristics. But so far I am happy with them.

In the photo the ground is sloped to the side the photo is taken on (so slightly more weight on that side I guess). Tire pressures are set at 32lbs, I am going to up it to 35lbs and see how that looks/rides. Coker recommends 32 to 35lbs. I think they look good, which they should as they are expensive tires. They balanced and ride just fine (felt like the radials I put on it when I drove it over to storage, except a little lighter in the steering, due to less width of rubber with the new ones). Admittedly only driven 30 miles in the dry so far. I did take the old girl up to 65mph on the freeway, no shake, shimmy or lane jumping but it was a nice smooth freeway.

The car needs a wash as its been sitting in that storage unit for over a year now. I put the new tires on it and drove it home so I can get started on it. Right now its all original except for 3" lowering blocks in the rear and one coil cut from front. I've collected most of the bits and will be changing the driveline, interior, some body mods... its going to take some time.

I'll try and make time to air them upto 35 this weekend, put it on flat asphalt and take another photo so you all can see them. But this gives you some idea of how they look and with the pressure set on the low end of recommendation, presumably, the max radial bulge.

cheers
    ricki

IMG_3447.jpg IMG_3461.jpg IMG_3463.jpg

GreenMtnBoy likes this.
  26. yruhot

yruhot

I bought a used set of L78-15 www Coker tires from a hamb member used off a caddy about 5 years ago. They are on my truck and it seems to drive just like a bias ply would. Does a little searching with the stock front end on the truck but I had the tire shop do a hell of a balance job on them which helped alot. I love them and they look cool on the truck.yruhot....Doug

27. Please guys, keep this on-subject.

There are already 374 other threads about bias opinions.

28. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Keep some pics & driving reviews coming. Finally some photos & actual running tires?
    Anyone w/ blackwalls?