Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buick field find UPDATE 4/19

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, May 13, 2014.

1. Came across this '50 Buick Special and may be able to pick it up. I need another project like another hole in my head but I hate to let this go by. Apparently, this was driven to this resting spot 14 years ago and it has sat on this gravel bed since then. Frame is about 8 inches off the gravel and appears to be in good shape. Interior is shot of course. Floors will need replacing for sure but everything seems to be there. It is a std shift car and the body style is the most desirable I am told. Will need rockers and lower panel work for sure.
    So I am looking for advice on weather to grab this or let it set. Guess I could grab it and flip it if someone would be interested in the car. Here are some pics. Appreciate any input.

Attached Files:

2. Hell yeah go and get it. Even if you can't do anything with it, you'll pretty easily find someone who can

sent via classroom note. pass it on

3. Looks like a fixable car, if the motor isn't in bad shape it should be an easy fixer.

Be aware any motor change except possibly certain Nailhead or other early V8s requires a fair amount of engineering to the rear suspension, because of the torque tube serving to locate the axle.

4. 5.0clay

5.0clay
    from Socal

50's Buick Sedanettes are gorgeous to me. I say go or it, If it's a good deal. Plus you could always sell it to me if you change your mind down the road.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I saw this on aaca...and like I said there I would want it if the price is right :)

6. khead47

khead47

7. i would so be all over that w/ a trailer behind me ...

flattyv8 likes this.
  8. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Little something going on at rear driver fender, but overall looks pretty darn good.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That could be the beginning of a nice cruiser or nice custom. One that's on the "if my garage was big enough for another" list too.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

It is cool...save that one for sure !

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Got the makings for a cool cruiser there. Go snag it!

12. I have to get in touch with the owner to see if he has a title and after that I believe I will cut the trees away and clear out the brush to get a closer look at it if he lets me. Will update this thread as things progress.

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49 & 50 Buick Sedanettes are not easy to find. If you like customs, that one could be hard to beat. Snag it!

14. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

If the price works, jump on it! I'd be on it like white on rice...LOVE the '50 Buick!

15. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

I grew up in Vt., didn't used to have a title until 72 or so, of course I haven't lived there for 40 years or so- looks like a great find, just needs a headlight rim! D

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like a cool old Buick, grab it! Lippy

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

When you get it, make sure to take pics of the removal process. Also how much you had to shell out to get it!

18. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great find, good for you man!

19. If I were you I would look up some traditional kustom versions of this car, then you'll want it. Anyone got some pics to post of early kustom versions?

20. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

That is a sick find. I can't believe the grill is intact. I love that year buick! Go get it

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Save that Buick,great looking cars.

22. Uh, yeah. That is too cool to leave sit

23. Vermont is non-title on cars 15 years and older. NY would be non-title on it too, and super easy to register.

24. Managed to catch up with the owner and we are to get together this coming week at the car. He is bringing the registration and the keys so this deal may come down. (I am bringing along the chain saw!) If I do get this, I will clean the interior out of the junk so typical of parked cars like this and then we work on firing the engine. At this point my plan is to save this Buick from it's resting place. Putting it at my friend's garage as I have no room for another project....we will see what comes of it. Will keep you posted. I will try to get pics as we move along.

25. The grill and tail lights are still intact. Grab it!

26. Met with the owner and agreed on a price and today I went back and removed all the brush and the trees. Looks different with all the garbage gone!
    101_3423.JPG
    Had a friend come by with his rollback and we pulled it up onto the deck. Wheels all turned and the tranny shifted into neutral with ease. Need a couple of tires for the passenger side but all in all it came out of it's resting place quite easily.

101_3425.JPG
    looks like I will strip the interior and seats tomorrow. Quite a mess in there for sure. Did find that the engine turns over so perhaps this week we can fire it up to see what we have. Looked at the frame and it appears to be in great shape. Gas tank looks like it was replaced with a new unit that is coated in undercoating. Probably a mess inside though. Will update this as I go.

27. Cub8556

Cub8556

Man what a nice find. I hope at some point in my life I can find a gem like this hiding away in the woods

28. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Congratulations on rescuing it before Mother Nature finished it off! Looking forward to more.

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Buick fastbacks rule!

30. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

A happy ending....or begining...or both LOL