Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Fun Texas Law! READ THIS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRH, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmartins

djmartins

This is way too political for this forum even though it DOES affect us all.
    I suggest if y'all want to continue this kind of talk, go to the Liberty Forum.
    It is at: http://www.libertyforum.org

regards,
    DJ

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

carry your fucking insurance, dont be a dolt.

when i bleed, my blood is green with pink spots and smells like light sweet texas crude.

...kill this thread.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only "problem" that all the above posters are bitching about is being forced to do something that they'd probably do anyway. Insurance IS extortion. Al Capone sold "insurance" along with his booze. I carry an uninsured motorist portion on my insurance. I don't have time for the bullshit that could ensue otherwise. It's just smart.

Is it about money? Fuckin eh it is. But I gotta watch my money too. Want something to bitch about? In Michigan...

So I have this car/truck/whatever registered and driving. I decide to take it off the road and work it over real good. Nice long hi-dollar project. Takes me 3 years. The cost of the plate for the year is, say, $90 (my bronco is $78). Now I'm done. I'm proud. I wanna cruise it. Cost of plates? 3 X $90...$127!!! They now back charge for past registrations!!! What the fuck is that!! "New law..." the kind lady told me.

Insurance is sometimes the least of our worries. Can I get around it? Sure. I'll sell the fucker to my wife for a buck and let her register it. Then she can sell it back to me. No tax to family members sales. 5 or 10 bucks to transfer title. Moral? You can bitch or use your head. It's up to you.
    Anyone hear the latest statistics about auto related injuries since speed limits and seat belts? Look em up.

4. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Anyone! who does not think you need insurance, has never been hit by someone who does'nt have it. Ask my son here in TX who was run over by someone without it and he lost a leg and spent 4 months in a hospital, he recieved a big TUFF LUCK! Thats why i have to pay extra money for uninsuranced to protect my cars from STUPIDS that dont think they need it!

5. gotcha

gotcha
    from Sanger, TX

The only thing that you CAN'T be arrested for while operating a motor vehicle in Texas is :

1: Speeding (unless reckless)
    2: Open Container of Alcohol

Any other offense is arrestable. Kinda sucks to get some hard nosed cop that takes you to jail for no tag light or no front plate. It does happen though.

JP

6. Slide

Slide

I haven't read this whole thread since I'm at work, so forgive me if this point's already been made, but:

When I moved here (Dallas) about 4 years ago, my insurance rates more than DOUBLED from Winston-Salem, NC. Due in no small part, I guess to the fact that Texas has been REAL lax on the enforcement of auto insurance in the past. I've heard lotsa estimates that well over half the cars in the Dallas area are carrying ZERO insurance on them. That means no liability insurance. (In every accident that has happened to someone I know here, at least one party had no insurance... usually the one that caused the wreck.) This makes it cost way more for those of us who actually DO carry insurance, cause it's pretty much guaranteed that if I get in a wreck, my insurance will be paying for the repairs (to me AND the car), no matter who was at fault.

Now that they have tougher laws on the subject, do you think my insurance rates will drop? DOUBT IT!!!! :mad:

7. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

It's all fun and games til you get the quaterpanel of your 70 Skylark caved in on Christmas Eve by an asshole with no green card, driver's license or insurance. Bastard was lucky I wasn't driving the Bel Air, I almost filled that POS Honda with 40 cal speedholes as it was.

8. farna

farna

You have a choice about insurance. Get the mandatory liability only. That protects the other guy, not you. I get a step above mandatory for my paid for cars, and comprehensive. I can stand the loss if I screw up, but if someone else does and takes my car out in the process, there's gonna be hell to pay!! I'm sure Hatch feels the same way about that!!

When I was first stationed in Mississippi in 2000, insurance wasn't mandatory. You got a ticket for not having it, but that was all. But it was legal to carry a weapon in your car (still is). By that I mean a LOADED hand gun. The intent of that law was to discourage car jacking, of which there had been a rash of in Florida in the 80s. Needless to say, MS never had a problem with car jacking! If you were stopped you had to let the cops know you had a firearm, and it was supposed to be in plain sight (that got overlooked a lot though).

My first thought was some moron without insurance was going to plow into my ride, then get out and tell me he hoped I had insurance because he didn't. I got a .45 or a .380 semi-auto in the glovebox. Hmmm.... "accident" waiting to happen, or what?? This DID happen to me later... almost. As of January 1 2001 insurance was made mandatory, but you just got a slap on the wrist for not having it.

A Nissan Extera plowed into my car in July 2004, bent just about everything from the firewall back (http://groups.msn.com/amcsforever2/farnasramblers.msnw for pics). It was a new Exterra, so the guy had to have insurance to get financing. Someone asked me if it was my car a few minutes later as I was standing waiting for the cops to come. I said yeah, it WAS, then the guy stumbles over "you know you ran that light, right?". I didn't, but realized it was the Exterra owner! I told him he should get the "F" back to his side of the road. He said something about I shouldn't be talking to him like that (I'm military, was in uniform at the time, he turned out to be retired), and started to follow me back to the car. I reached in to see if my gun rug was still under the seat before someone stole it -- and the .380 inside. Honestly, that's all I was doing! I swear I could FEEL the guy follow me though, and intentionally DIDN't look his way when I pulled the thing out (gun in rug). A neighbor saw the car and stopped, asked me if I was okay about that time, so I was distracted for 30-60 seconds. When I turned around, that A-hole was gone.

Later, when the cops arrived, I had 4-5 standing around me and my car, one over talking to the other guy. I mentioned to one of the cops (I had the rug in hand) that they didn't need to worry, if I were going to shoot him it would have been before they got there. They just chuckled, but one told me bluntly if that was his car, he'd be thinking about it.

As I was frantically trying to build another car (found one just like the wreck, luckily) in time for the 2005 Power Tour (would be running darn near through my back yard!!), I felt like going and shooting the MFer more than once. He was driving a new Exterra shortly after (totaled the first one) and lived in the area. Believe me, as I fought with the insurance company for a month just to get a reasonably fair price (nothing exobitant -- ended up with $9500 when they originally wanted to give me $3700), then worked like mad to get the car finished (missed it by 2-3 months, just no way to build the car part time and get done in six months!), I thought many times about sugar (or Drano) in the gas tank, loosening the oil drain just enough it would work out, removing diff fill plug (maybe adding some sand...), ice pick in brake lines, and long range 7.62mm through the head (not engine) or engine block (I've got some wicked STEEL CORE semi-armor piercing bullets), and I knew where the 'gator holes were at in the area. I had that car almost where I wanted it before getting hit, just needed to fix a gas tank leak and re-gear the axle. Had just got back the day before from a 1500 mile trip from MS, to SC, to Kenosha WI for a big AMC/Rambler meet, then back to MS. Was on my way to work that morning thinking it would be nice to have my Rambler in Power Tour the next summer!

Yeah, don't buy insurance - that's for idiots!! Just don't hit me. If something like that happens again, I don't know if I can hold back. No, I'm not likely to shoot on the spot, or even later. But I think I can loosen that oil pan plug without feeling bad about it later. I don't think I could do anything like pierce the brake lines. Might hurt soemone else.

9. oldguy829

oldguy829

Lots of good insight in this post, and I agree with most of it. But on the issue of insurance, it is about the money, and it's my money. Being successful enough to own a home, some cars and a bank account, I can't afford to go without insurance. Some asshole will sue me for something someday and take it all. But I've read nearly 30% of the drivers in Texas don't carry the mandatory insurance 100% of the time. So my insurance is about 30% higher than it should be to cover all the uninsured/underinsured drivers out there. Could be a hassle if you forget to put the card in the car, but I hope they nail every one without insurance, impound their cars and keep them off the roads.

No, I don't like helmet laws, seat belt laws, or gun control laws: but I think this one might actually help out the good guys.

10. 30modela

30modela
    from Kentucky

If the gov't would go along with it, insurance companies should cover the driver no matter what vehicle he/she is driving. Think of it as an interchangable insurance. It would be a good idea!

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

I am not anti insurance....I'm anti regulation(it just doesnt work). Protect yourself by buying insurance, because the govt cant protect you from anything.

And as far as guns are concerned, owning one should be mandatory. We would have MUCH less crime if the criminals had to think about grandma on meds with an uzi.

OK...I'm done now.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think we're all done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.