Register now to get rid of these ads!

rat rod question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by talksfast99, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squablow

Squablow

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gowjobs
    Oh yeah - airbags are for pussies.

Well, that would explain all the ass holes around here.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with the majority that the '40 Ford pickup would make a fine hotrod. Minor suspension mods should get you a stance that you'll be happy with. Keep an eye out here and you'll figure out what to do with it pretty fast.

Oh, and keep the old mesh grille inserts. For whatever reason, I really like those, they look like they were very well made.

2. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

Thanks for mentioning our site AGAIN........to be honest.....we would've answered his question 24 post ago instead of beating the proverbial dead horse and trying to make the kid feel like a horse's ass for making such a "newbie" mistake on the "Holy Grail" of all Traditional Hot Rod sites. Well done!!!!

BTW....while i'm mentioning dead horses....red rims aren't liked much at all on our site either.....except for the one red rim.....but you'd have to be a card carrying member to know what THAT means.

Thanks for your time.

Blast away!!!!

3. Red69Hoss

Red69Hoss

Concur, Woode. Didn't expect this forum to get shitty with a kid over his choice of words. Sound like a bunch of lawyers at a concours Mustang show....

4. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

My opinion? not that it matters,

Who cares?? Its a name...big fucking deal. If you built it, and you know what it is...it doesnt mean shit WHAT someone calls it. Its your ride.

All you guys getting your panties in a bunch over a word...you are the same guys asking does my hair look ok? do my "period correct" cuffed levis have the right wrinkles in them?

The general public is always going to Group things...Every time a new music genre comes around doesn't take them long to tag it, Neo-punk...Punk-a-billy, rock-a-billy, Speed metal, blah blah blah....just words.

Call my rides whatever you want, hell, you can even call it a ....streetrod..I could care less :D I like em and I'm not out to impress anyone.

Its just a term...fer fucks sakes...LOL

Scot

BTW back on topic for the new guy,
    Build it how you want, make yourself happy. And by all means call it what ya want :D Everyone else will label it anyway so don't sweat it just enjoy it.

5. Tony

Tony

No blasting here...I just think it's funny you waited so long to reply if you and the guy's on 'your' board would have answered his question 24 posts ago..and i see you didn't answer it either..

Here's my own personal take on your truck, which by the way is very cool! 40's are very close to the top of my hot rod list..

I'd think that a dropped Beam axle, split wishbone's, and a reverse eye'd spring will get the front closer to 'terra firma' in the traditional fasion. Possibly even go with a 'new' front spring that was designed to be low right from the start..Although depending on how much the spring is dropped you may have to notch the frame above it for clearence issue's..not a big deal though..
    Plus i think it'd be the easiest for you to do yourself and most affordable.

On different methods, you could alway's MII the front end and run 'bags if you want that "i think i broke my springs" look, which i have no problems with..sometime's i really like the look..
    But, with that come's cost. The MII set up is not all that cheep, and to run bags you are obviously going to have more cash spent than if you were to go the basic route with a dropped beam..
    OR.....you could spend the cash for a MII set up and just run dropped spindles..if that alone isn't low enough, you could always step up to adjustable coil overs for it..

There are many options to achieve what you looking for...much depends on how much you want to spend, and your ability to do the work (yes i know you said your just learning and i think thats GREAT that you asked)..

Again, my own oppinion (which i'm sure isn't worth shit) is to run the typical dropped beam set up with 'buggy' spring..

Good luck and nice truck..regardless of what you wanna call it.

6. I thought I was just being honest! Next time I won't refer to ol skool rods sorry.

7. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

If I'd seen it sooner, believe me, i'd a jumped right on it.

I think several people have already answered his question quite well. I was only responding to the negative take on the other web site that most of the people on here don't even bother with but seem to know so much about.
    Now THAT's what seemed funny to me!:D

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What Tony said..............

you can sit your 40 as low as you want, its all in how much money you want to spend.

As for blasting a guy for asking a question and using the most hated phrase "Rat Rod". How about just telling the guy that the Term "rat Rod" is incorrect and he needs to call it a hotrod.

it he likes red rims, so be it. new people into this hobby are going to build what they see in the mags. black primer and red rims. until they have built it themselves or been around, they will not know its now uncool to alot of folks.

Slamming him is no different then some old timer not giving you the time of day when you asked questions about his ride (when you did not know any better)....

Its 2006, how about we all try to stop being tough guys and gain some patiences with new members before blasting. In the long run it will only decrease the number of people who think the HAMB is an unfriendly place full of pricks

9. You mean those thin-skinned folks that dont have the balls to stand up for what they believe in and enter lively debate over said belief?:D

On a serious note, rat rod= POS, I personally dont want to be associated with the term, the attitude or the people that think shitboxes (thanks Jack) are cool.

10. Could someone close this post?

11. Naw Kenny, lets just start over. Mr 99, what parts dont you understand about suspension and what are your goals with the pickup? Style? Driveability? Folks here will help you, they just need more info to go off. Just never utter the rat thing again.:D;)

12. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

There's a number of ways to lower the front end. Like Tman says " We need more info". Are you strapped for cash or can you afford to go all out and do it right. I would highly recommend to look around at trucks you like and study the proceedures they used to get it to LOOK that way. Please take one important topic to heart.....the end result needs to be pleasing to the eye. Regardless of others opinions, it needs to be something YOU are proud of. I've seen alot of these style trucks where the front axle has been set in front of the frame to acheive a lowered stance. In the process the proportions are thrown completely out and you wind up with a cartoonish look instead of a cool ride. Hope this is helpful in someway.

See. it's easier to be helpful rather than run around closing threads.

And Max Wedge, I wasn't bashing you personally, just wondering why OL School Rodz was even mentioned. I do appreciate you second comment. Thank you!

13. dalen nelson

dalen nelson

wow! talk about a bunch of bullshit over a word i guess if i spent most my time on a forum just to see how many post a can reach so i have enough guts to slam someone on a forum without getting attack by the other post counters, admitt it the only reason you dont like the word ratrod is because your always reading the word(because your on here all the time not building your own cars and slaming other peoples). this is why i dont post nothing always have to read shit like this

14. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Not to hijack, but do you have any pix of your bro's ride? Sounds kinda sweet really...
    Talkfast, in the words of Digital Underground 'Dowatchalike':D 'Rat rod' can really mean so many things (try searchin' ebay with the term!) So what's your idea? As for Ol' Skool, I think we'd all be better people if ya'll just ran an all Sabina issue-just a thought:D:D:D

15. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

For the record, I wanted to point out that I was trying to give this guy some friendly advice before he had his head bitten off by someone...not pick on him...

Secondly, as far as the truck goes, I really dig it. You mentioned that you are new to this hobby...I would guess that you got into this whole thing because you wanted something cool, but also because you wanted to create something with your own hands. With this in mind, if you have limited welding/fabrication skills, I would opt to go with the dropped I beam/reversed eye spring approach...this direction only involves unbolting old parts and bolting up new ones...It will give you a better understanding on how the suspension works under your ride, and also a sense of pride and accomplishment when you can complete the job yourself! Good Luck, and if you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask....

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am building the same chassis you have right now. I can take pics as I go along if you want. What is it you don't understand? It's really about as basic as it gets. I'll try and answer any questions you may have.

I would look at some of the websites like Chassis engineering, Posies, Pete and Jakes etc. and read a lot....

17. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

I've got some pics of the buildup of my '40 pickup if they'll help. I have a 4"dropped axle with a Posies reversed eye spring and split wishbones. It's plenty low....I had to regrade the driveway to get it over the apron and into the garage ( the wishbones were scraping). Good luck with your project.

18. Tony

Tony

Now thats good advice :)

Good luck with the truck, and don't be shy....post update photo's so we can see how it's coming along.

Tony

19. The Anarkist

The Anarkist
    from Canada

I agree with you Butch. Ask a simple question and he gets blasted with a ton of bullshit about his choice of terms. LOL.

20. The Anarkist

The Anarkist
    from Canada

Thanks Tman for taking this in the right direction. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see ya here.

21. Yer from Aberdeen, like your opinion counts?!:D hahahhahhaa

PM me, not many Sodak folks here on the HAMB.

22. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

Not only is that funny,it's a damn good idea!!!!! I second that!!!:D

23. gowjobs

gowjobs

Sport N. - I mentioned Ol' Skool beause he mentions rat rods built out of Model T's in the same paragraph as wanting to use his '40 to do one, so I figure he wants to make one of those bobbed off, way-too-long pickup cabs on a heavily Z'ed chassis things that OSR seems to like covering in the magazine. You'll notice I went on to giving him some suggestions on how to go about getting his truck down to the pavement without building another ode to ugly trends.

Youngbuck is another victim of the same mindset - I don't know why he's even bothering to use a '40 Ford cab as the basis for his ride - he could start with the cowl and doors of of just about anything, fab up a cab back and build the rest of this oversized T-bucket.

Maybe I'm just a crusty ol' mutha, but I think the best hot rods - even those built out of an old pickup cab and a beer keg - are as compact as possible. There should be no wasted space on a hot rod. No more than a couple of inches between the engine and the firewall - the front axle shouldn't sit two feet ahead of the radiator unless the thing is built digger-style, with 18-21" spoke wheels and a round-tube space frame. These eighteen foot long monstrosities just show somebody who either wasn't smart enough or didn't care enough to really engineer their creation - they just slapped crap on until it was low enough to scrape, then blew on some flat black and lipstick red with a coule of skulls or maltese crosses stencilled on.

What do I know - I drive an Olds with plastic bumpers.

24. Well good luck with it 99.

The rest of ya, take a good look at the truck on the trailer. Is that what you're refering to when you say: Laying frame, or scraping frame? I never thought of adding an extra frame. Interesting concept.

PS, this is the first time I've seen a thread turn from ripping a newbie a new ass to VERY constructive advice. Good job, fellas.

Oh, one more thing, who is Sabina?

chili

Listening to The Bad Livers - Industry & Thrift

25. JamesG

JamesG

I want to coin a new term....... Let's start calling them Scat Rodzzzz.....

Since most of the cars are here are so shitty and all......lol.

26. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

I want to build a rat rod too....... you guys take this shit way too serious......... LUKESTER

27. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

What he said! 'Rat rod' is a metophor for 'turd on wheels'

28. talksfast99

talksfast99

once again sorry about the rat rod thing. i didnt know. i dont want to make everyone mad at me. ive never even been to any car shows or any thing like it. ill try to watch what i say i dont want to hurt anybodys feelings. i appreciate all the help everyones given me. its been a big help.

29. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yeah, the "R" word can be a touchy subject. Bottom line is you didn't know, and you admit that. Nothing wrong with that, its how you(and everybody else) learns. I don't think many people were "born" kick-@ss hot rod builders, its a learned thing for the most part.

I'm glad some members stepped to the plate and gave you some helpful advice instead of bashing you. The bottom line is that if you hang out here, and study the tons of good info available here, you'll be fine. And learn what hot rods are all about. That truck will make a great project for sure, good luck

30. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

My future ex-wife :D :D :D

I can wish, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.