Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine valve to piston clearance problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, you should have had plenty of that......:rolleyes:

2. ENGINENUT

ENGINENUT

Hawg, The hilborn unit is quite flexible and takes the shape/angle of what it's bolted to.We changed heads once and had to reset the cross linkage to achieve balance--must have been a slight angle or height difference.
    Thats the beauty of using the flowmeter(uni-syn) you can see slight differences in flow.When its real even the idle,throttle response, and restart will be impressive.

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Root, I agree with ENGINENUT. I don't know that much about the Hilborn specifically, but I know a little about fuel mixture problems. A mid-range stumble comes from the fuel system, rich or lean. I fought the same thing trying to get a Holley spread-bore carb to work. Mine was getting too much air until it came up on the cam, then it pulled hard.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

Oh yeah, get yourself a new set of valve springs and check the cam clearance with Play-dough. I don't think you have a big problem there.

5. Bugman

Bugman

I don't suppose you could have fuel puddling or loading up somewhere that gets upset and sucked in when the car launched? What about uneven cylinder temps causing fuel to drop out of suspension on one or two cylinders? Or maybe fuel sloshing in the tank on launch is causing an air bubble to get sucked into the feed line? Just tossing out random thoughts since you seem to have all your other bases covered...

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

The tank is the same tank that ran with this engine since 1960 or so. I opened up the vent line to a 3/8" opening as well.

I'll hafta investigate the butterflies.....thanks for the input.

7. oneyed

oneyed
    BANNED

I would stck with the fuel theory. It has to be something really stupid. Check everything, I mean everything. Hope you get it figured out.

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

About the cam...Since you are changing it, did you measure the valve lift on the mystery cam while you had it installed?

The reason I ask is because if your new cam has any more valve lift, you are probably going to have to either run thicker head gaskets or fly-cut the pistons.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bass, yeah we have a rough estimate. It was about .510". The pistons are fly cut but we may hafta go a little deeper. There's plenty of material inthe pistons still...

10. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Where's your fuel tank? The fuel level needs to be above the pump inlet. Supposedly Hilborn pumps won't suck, fuel needs to be gravity fed to the pump inlet.

11. This was my thought, could the initial launch G-forces be causing a lean condition after launch? I agree the stumble seems to be fuel related and not ignition.

12. Do you have a fuel pressure guage in the car? If not get one. That would be the best way to confirm this theory.

13. runnin with the devil

runnin with the devil
    from flint

looks like to me, maybe valve springs are too weak for the rpms you are trying to turn or you need to relive the pistons where you are having the interferrance, if the decks arent square, you will only have a couple cyls
    not happy,
    worn valve guides may also cause at full lift some deflection in them to hit close piston to valve clearance

dont look to be lean to me.

good luck

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

The tank is a vertical tank and it is mounted about 6 inches higher than the pump. The tank is also the tank that was with this engine in the 60's. It ran with the tank until 76 or so.

15. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Good luck Root...keep us all updated on this one...more than one of us will surely benefit from all of this....Thanks