Filters:

Type:
Video Uploads x
Remove All Filters:
x

No media has been added yet.

31 B'ville, Feb 9, 2009
    • 31chevymike
      After seeing your Pontiac on the Bowtie thread, had to take a closer look at your great looking project! So in order to place the body on your new wood structure, you had to cut the body apart and fasten to the wood in sections?
    • 31 B'ville
      @31chevymike Thank you for the kind words! You were correct with your previous comment on the thread. After CAREFULLY measuring and assembling the wood structure and constantly comparing it to the dimensions of the body skin, I removed the rear tires (for clearance) and slipped the body over the wood from the rear forward. I had to pull the lower sheet metal lip of the rear window up to get past the wood and then hammer it back down to nail it to the wood.
      I have no proof, but I believe that the factory built the wood as I did and then welded the 3 body pieces together (L and R sides and center section). (You probably have noticed on the inside of the body there is a vertical weld seam on either side of the rear window). I did not want to cut my body apart and weld it back together, especially over my new wood frame, so I tried the method I just described and am happy with the results.
      I got the wood kit from Autowood.net. I wanted to chop the roof 3" at the windshield and 2.5" at the rear window, and they made the affected wood pieces to match my dimensions. I also coated every piece of wood with clear epoxy before assembling the structure to hopefully preserve it for a very long time. I don' think the factory did anything to preserve it.
      Some other features of my '31 are a forged , drilled I-Beam front axle, narrowed '57 Pontiac rear with 3:08 Posi, Buick finned aluminum front brake drums over repop '39 Lincoln brakes, '69 Pontiac 428 with dual quads, Turbo 350 trans, Pete and Jake's rear ladder bars with coilovers, and the frame has been boxed and a modified Chassis Engineering '32 Ford X added for strength.
    • 31chevymike
      Enjoyed seeing your build process, because our hot rods are similar in alot of ways - Nice job!
      31 B'ville likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.