Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Dodge?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Humboldt Cat, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

As part of a stash of early tins, I purchased what's believed to be a 1930 Dodge coupe... looking for ID help. I will with Whatever it truly is, but keen to know.
    Original phone I captured the mock-up with, last June, comatosed around New Year's, saved some from Messenger stash, yada yada. Currently stashed in my shop. Thanks for any help.
    When packing the car, found at least one of the A pillars, possibly a front roofline. 20190323_144926.jpeg received_770703216599652.jpeg received_383673399132526.jpeg received_519328661890822.jpeg 20190323_104907.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Good save on the Mopar.

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I have a c1930+/- Dodge body, and it's not like this. Up through 1930, no Mopars had a reveal line running down beside the trunk. The reveal line ran from the cowl, under the doors, curved just beyond the roof, and crossed over just at the roof intersection to the other side. 1931+ Mopars had reveals running to the back of the body, which intersected with the transverse reveal behind the roof. Also, the reveal on the cowl was tapered, becoming higher as it went back, and then split in two, with the top portion crossing over the cowl at the base of the windshield. Also, the portion of the rear panel between the reveal line and the fender on 1931+ bodies tapers down continuously as it goes back. The body in your picture shows this panel as getting fatter beyond the top of the rear fender. I can say with certainty your body is from a Bugatti Type 34 Coupe. (Just kidding!!!)

Edit -- I'm thinking now it's a 1931 Studebaker. Does the body flare out a little to meet the rear fender?

Edit again -- rear looks Studebakerish, but reveal lines don't check out. And I think you have a 3-window, which i think were not made by Stude in that era. Their Rockne brand did. But the reveal lines don't match. Do you know if your cowl is from the same car? Its reveal looks like a straight molding, bolted on.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. NOT Dodge Brothers or MoPar of any year. Looks almost GM style with the flared rear quarters.

5. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

"Almost" just counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Post a picture and I'll tell you what's wrong with it, or eat crow.

6. I have seen that bustle rear end....I just can't remember on what.

7. Similar to this 1930 Cadillac coupe, but more pronounced on the car in question. That is why I said, "almost". 1930 Cadillac coupe.jpg

8. I seem to recall Hudson or Essex had a model with rear 1/4's kinda like that?
    Looks like it had wood framework too....

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'd be looking in the early to mid 20's. The body section height doesn't seem tall enough for even late 20's roadster/cabriolet/coupe-types. Stude flairs out ~ 1.5->2", very near the rear of the mouldline, quite noticeable if viewed looking straight down. Also, the way the panel under the trunk is shaped is very different, + the beadline running the length of the qtr appears very flat( Desmo, good eye, side panel does look to be separate from upper panels)not to mention the height of the qtr at the door edge being rather short. Unless it's an optical illusion from the camera angle. Really stretching here, but Jordan possibly? It seems I've seen this shape before, but can't remember where, probably in Old Cars Illustrated/Weekly or somesuch. I'm thinking a small automaker (so-called obscure?), not anyone large. Too bad you're so far away, as I really like the shape of it. Affording it, much less shipping = ;( . Nice save, however.
    Marcus...

10. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

It's possible the cowl is from something else. This was part of a 'pallet' sale of parts to my bud, touted to have been a part of it... Although for instance this other cowl was in the stash...perhaps it goes with the 3 window... online matchups I've done of pictured cowl indicated Chevy... 20190323_103757.jpeg 20190323_103858.jpeg 20190323_103806.jpeg 20190323_103909.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app