Register now to get rid of these ads!

divco wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leon renaud, Nov 30, 2005.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

what is the big deal about Divco wheels i've seen a couple of posts now that say their rare.I live in what used to be dairy country and these things are all over the place.I'm wondering if mabeyI could sell some to finance my rod .Are there specific ones to look for ?I know one form that had 30+ of these trucks rotting in a back field lots of doodle bug tractors around here were cut down divcos with dual trannys we could get old milk trucks free from the dairy plants

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Divco wheels were never really found on Divco trucks.

From what I gather - I've never owned even one - they were an accessory wheel manufactured bt Kelsey Hayes and were some sort of aftermarket wheel or possibly a dealer option for buyers who needed extra ground clearance.

Apparently some milk trucks did have these particular wheels and they were given the Divco name the same way you ask for a Kleenex or make a Xerox. There was a decent discussion on this a few weeks ago.

Several people have mentioned a repop wheel in the works but I don't think anything has been made official. I've even heard rumors through friends of whom it will be - but it's just rumor at this point so there's no value in spreading what might be misinformation.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

From what I've read the Divco wheels were a cheap way to use the 18 inch INDY tires at the Dry Lakes & Bonneville, thay fit the 1928-48 Ford bolt pattern.

4. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Grimlock, I like your kleenex/zerox analogy, that's a perfect way to describe the Divco versus Ford milktruck confusion. I'll have to use that one in the future.

5. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Leon,

The wheels came on the early 40's short wheel base Ford delivery (Box) trucks that kind of look like the Divco trucks, hence the nickname. The reason they are so rare, is because not only did they not make many of these trucks, but they were also just an option for ground clearance. Most of the wheels thet are still out there came from the early lakes racers that actually went to the Ford dealership and ordered them over the counter. I know a couple of the old timers that did that.

Hope that helps ya out.

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I need to check these wheels because I'm talking about actual Divco milk trucks from 50-60s what sucks now is I think my uncle had the exact wheels your talking about on his 47 ford dumptruck but he junked that as far as i know 5-6 years ago

7. Leon, The wheels that you are talking about are like the ones in Bobby's avatar. Maybe Bobby can post a better pic for you.

8. 392_hemi

392_hemi

If you find any 18" wheels that are 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern, I'm interested.

9. Philofab

Philofab

I swore I saw a set of 20" 5x4.5 wheels refered to as "divco" on one of the Gas Monkey cars. The black 31 with a "mild" chop.

10. Thats cause GasMonkee is a tool.

11. Muttley

Muttley

I'm pretty sure those came off of a tractor.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Like I said guys now I may be spinning MY wheels because I'm talking actual milk truck and the thread i read apparently was using the term genericaly!I don't know if we are actualy talking about the same thing.But like i first said they are all over the place around here.Divco IS the model name of the truck I think they were International based they all had 15 horsepower 4 cylinder engines and top speed was about 45 empty but they would pull like a bulldozer especialy if you added a second trans when using them on the farm as a tractor

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

If you find any 18" wheels that are 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern, I'm interested.

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Most Divco trucks came from the factory with split rims, not the wheels refered to as Divcos. So sorry we all caused you this confusing excitement. It's not the holy grail you may have thought but keep your eyes open.

15. 1932 wires are 18" all day long. :D

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I joined hamb to learn and I am, nothing to appologize for I can just imagine the exicitement I may have caused cause i got emails to cover the first 2 truckloads i could get hell I could have built a deuce coupe instead of a rat T!well time to look for a new goldmine!

17. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Steelies, not wires.

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Philo,

The 20" wheels are high clearance wheels from a Dodge. Dodge offered an 18" and a 20". I have a set of the 20" and only one of the 18", I'm still hunting for more.
    But anyway, like the term "Rat rod" which is now used to describe anything not billet, "Milktruck" is now the word to describe any wheel that was a high clearance option rather than stock.

Make sense?

Just to let you know, I have been collecting accessory wheels (mainly Ford) for the past 10 years. Thanks why I know all this usless info.

19. Philofab

Philofab

Thanks for the info... either Arron or Richard from gas monkey told me those wheels were from a Divco milktruck when I asked. I told them I have seen a few sets out here but NOT on any milktruck.

How wide are they?

20. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

How wide are they?[/QUOTE]
    3-1/2"

21. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Bobby(Them!) post up a pic of the Dubs...er... uummm the 20"s ...Please,Thanks.

22. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

pics....some might not be "divco's", I'm still learning...

EDIT: I should have renamed the files......I named them when I was first learning....now I can help continue on the incorrect name...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

[​IMG]

I threw out my Divco wheels..........Littleman

24. Sent PM

Steve

25. HeyMang

HeyMang

Nothing cooler than rocking 5 divco's on a cut-up indy car trailer....

26. Here's the pieces I need.

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

27. Here's another pic - note how the passenger side hood panel is not properly attached - the upper and lower panels are one piece - kinda looks like a raised cowl pressed into the hood - I only need the lower part of these panels that wraps down the side of the hood.

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

[from hop up magazine

[​IMG]

29. HA HA!!! ITS BRUCE!

Yep, those are the wheels everyone refers to as "divco"....

30. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug