Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making your paint look old???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzee

fitzee

I like the old worn out paint look and would like to see as many as I can.We have a F100 that I would like to do like this.Nobody in these parts have seen it done and I would like to do a truck like it.Any pics and how toos on how it is done would be great.Also would like to learn the process of doing the old lettering as well.Just seen this pic in another post and it got me thinking.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140698

2. RF

RF

At this stage, messing up is probably a good thing, so just take a stab at it. There are a number of different ways to approach "fauxtina". Starting from scratch, you basically want to do two paint jobs--underlying and overlay--so decide what opposing colors you want. On the top coat, you can easily "age" it by color sanding till you reach the base.

3. squirrel

squirrel

the traditional way to get old looking paint is to park the vehicle in the yard for 20 or 30 years.

Making new paint look old is one of the silliest things I've heard about...

but then I'm not a good hamber!

falcongeorge, Baumi and olscrounger like this.
  4. RF

RF

Yeah, but it's too easy to paint a car pink.

5. Steve

Steve

faux patina is gay. like that one car that got put in a magazine that had fake rust and shit, and startegically place bird shit. It just doesn't look right

olscrounger likes this.
  6. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Or just get the real deal......... Bill
    [​IMG]

7. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

i thought rust and faded paint was a badge of honor. Either way take some pics to show us. If this becomes a huge FAD will my rusty wagon and t-bird be worth more :O)

keith

8. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

Thats one badd ass truck!!!

keith

9. RF

RF

The guy asked for advice. I gave it. I've never fauxtinkled a car of mine, and I've never painted one pink, but I'd rather have a fake-aged paint job than a gay-age one. And look at this way: if the strategies weren't magazine-documented, how would you know it didn't look right?

10. 53Nailhead

53Nailhead

"Fauxtinkled"?LOL. Man I like that, can't wait to fit that into a conversation sometime:cool: :D !

11. [​IMG]
    Park it out in thr weather for 40 years.

Or spray it on dry then go after it with some steel wool.

Next spray it down good with some salt water, it'll make the steel wool that got trapped in the paint rust faster.

Old is cool and I guess that nearly all hot rods are imposters, but if I was going to spend money on paint I would like it to look nice. Of course I don't normaly achieve nice soooo...

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fauxtina is gay. The most over the top thing I have ever seen is painted chickenshit on a roadster to make it look "barnfresh". Pu-leeeze! :rolleyes:

falcongeorge and olscrounger like this.
  13. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

The idea of painting a car two contrasting colors sound very Martha Stewartish.
    Why not just destroy the current paint job so there's primer and steel showing though, then the steel will rust and you'll have to make up stories about how the car was originally a 60's era master peice that you found in a creek just waiting for you to rescue it, but you plan on leaving it just how you found it. Then people will think your retarded for not bringing it back to it's former glory, rather than being retarded for painting a car two different colors and ruining it!
    Oh yeah if you follow the steps outlined above make sure to take lots of black and white pictures in generic locals (you would hate for someone to see a modern Mcdonalds in the background). Once the pictures are printed crinkle them up and throw them in the washer with your rockbilly outfit (you know the one you wear on weekends) and place them in the glovebox so you can "just happen to have them" in case a greybeard walks by and says he remembers that car from his formative years. It will be the one that always sat in the back corner just waiting for some fool to anty up a race!
    Be sure to let the photo's air dry (it'll add patina to them too), oh and scuff them up with steel wool too! Maybe use those snazy scissors that cut curves in the edges too.
    Also since the outside is beat looking make sure to cut up the seats. This will take the most talen as they will need to look like they were chewed by rats. Straight cuts wont work!

14. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

some dude purposely shot his early 30s sedan with a handgun. he told me all about the strategically placed targets for the bulletholes.

i think anyone can do whatever they want to thier own ride. having a classic as my daily driver i hear this crap all the time: "you should do this & you should do that" i tell em, "thanks for the input but ill do what i like to my own ride. maybe you should get your own car if you have all these excellent ideas" although, sometimes i hear some pretty interesting ideas & i take em & run with it. usually depends on the source. backwards hat, gold chain kid "damn yo, you gotta throw some switches up in that piece with some subs in the back seat" uhh, nah....bags maybe.

15. fitzee

fitzee

It may be fake but I like it.Can`t leave it alone as is cause the truck needs more patch work then I care to talk about.You must remember that up here in the rust belt cars don`t last long.If you can find a old car with the frames around the windows in good shape your in business,it don`t matter that there is not a floor or rocker to be found on the rig.I am a bodyman by trade and spent 20 some year painting custom paint,shiny is more work to look after then I care to talk about.been there done that..The flat black thing is beat to death so I am looking for a neat look that I don`t have to spend hours preping the body for paint,ding and dent!! I can live with them.I just want to have something I can drive and not worry about a body job and paint that I have a million hours into.Get into it and drive.......

Here is a bit of what we rebuilt up in these parts.This in my 49 Hillman.back of the car was rotted so I made a truck from it. There is not a floor or rocker in this truck,around the windows was good tho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Fitzee,

"Induced Patina" is an art form un to its self. Over done, it looks like a
    guy with a bad hair piece, done well, it says' yeah!

I'd go with flat enamel finishes from the start, I've sean flat clear used,
    after all the work was done, and that's ok 'till the clear pops and than
    you're back ta where ya started. Use lighter and darker shades of the same
    colour, with a darker shadow for your lettering. Stay away from the loud
    reds and yellows, unless ya let them down with white or umber or you'll
    have the 'circus wagon' look goin' on. Stains used for funiture can be used
    ta get the rust-look, or to induce stains into the paint, but that's a look that
    is tough ta pull off well. Over sanding some, or all of the surface will add an
    aged look.

17. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

Self enduced patina, aged with care and ready to sell on Ebay as a rat rod for $10K :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Psych likes this.
  18. rebstew187

rebstew187

its hard to have the real patina when you have done a bunch of work. patch's, chop top ect ect.why not fake it a little if thats what he likes.just leave some small spots on the truck that you didn't work on and let it show thru with what you do.myself I would do the under color in red and flat black it.start sanding with 220 grit til you see the red pop out a bit and then move on to 600 grit then 1000.use the 220 where all the normal wear would be under the door handle, tops of the doors where your arm would sit and on the high points of the body lines.as for someone else talking about bullit holes shot in the perfect spot.I did see an lay out years ago in one of my rod magizines where a guy had a bullit hole in his dash.funny thing is that he cut it out of an old car he found somewhere and welded the patch with the bullit hole in his dash.some guys are nuts.hell I'd just shoot mine or have someone do it if I wanted one that bad.I couldn't believe they even printed that.if any of you want a bullit hole in you car just let me know.I can do it for ya...

19. BigChief

BigChief

Wait.

-Bigchief.

20. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Battery acid is one way of getting new fresh steel to rust quickly, pinstriping that has been worn through(sanded back) will also ad to patina. Park the thing in any shopping mall carpark for a week and it will soon get plenty of dents and scratches:D . Throw lots of stuff especially bricks, beer kegs, pieces of old angle iron, engine blocks etc in the back and drive down a few bumpy roads that should start the dents scratches and rust in the deck/tray.

21. Here's some lettering I did and real patina from sitting outside for a while.
    http://public.fotki.com/HotRod28/32_roadster/
    Ive found that in general leaving things outside and just using them is the best way to age them. Some guy around here has a '32 3-window with fauxtina and it looks cool as hell, but in certaint light you can see all the wet-sand marks(not good;)).
    -Dean

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'd like to look more rugged, I have kind of a baby face.
    I'd like to look more like Charles Bronson, do you have any tips, RF?

23. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

It would take to much work man...maybe shoot a li'l lower for your first attempt. You can always redo it, right?

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Cool patina isn't going for that much on ebay. Our 48 was bought for $450 .....and the rust is real!!!!!

Attached Files:

25. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

You can always piss on the paint or primer...

26. Squablow

Squablow

My Carryall has so much "patina", big chunks of it fall off onto the highway when I drive it.

Attached Files:

27. Mother Nature and Father Time do the best job...

[​IMG]

28. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Here's my old 54 p/u

My wife did 90% of it.

I know...You hate it, you hate me, it's gay, I suck, how dumb, yada yada yada.

I could care less.

We liked it. :D

Attached Files:

29. If you want some quick surface rust, as in a few minutes. Take the bare metal and rub some apple cider viniger on it. Let it set a little bit and you will have a nice red rust. Ive used it on metal for sculpture projects. Doesnt smell to great but it works.

30. bones35

bones35

Patina. what a word, sounds like this girls name i once left some patina on. heres 65 years of it.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.