Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Remembers CARtoons..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Anyone on this site remember the CARtoon comics that had "Iron On Artwork" in each issue...? [​IMG]

Do you know of any surviving issues with the Iron on Transfers...? [​IMG]

That was fun stuff decorating t-shirts when I was young...! [​IMG]

Mark

2. My brother has one with the iron-on still in it. I had it for a while learning how to draw the cartoon cars, had to give it back to him when he moved out of state.

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I may still have a few old copies laying around....I read that magazine all through junior high and high school...learned to draw from Trosley and Kerri that way!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

What are ya kiddin me ? I grew up on krass and bernie !I loved those toon , cycle toons ,van toons ,Cartoons ,Dragtoons.I have a pretty good collection of them and some even have the iron ons still inside !along with MAD and Cracked were some of my childhood favs . [​IMG]

5. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

YEAH!!! CARtoons was a huge part of my childhood...I was always mystified as to how "Big Daddy Roth" could be in a cartoon as well as being a real person. Unk and tha Varmits, Hamb & Bones...never realized Krass & Bernie were GAY though! [​IMG]

http://www.georgetrosley.com/cartoons.html

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...Von Tingler! [​IMG]

I know what you're talking about...I recognized his style right off the bat, though...

...all his characters have one of three favorite expressions...and he stacks his gals!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Cartoons rocks! I still have some issues in the spare bedroom at my house. Krass and Bernie were great! A couple of stoner guys into cars... kinda reminds me of some HAMBers I've met...

8. Thanks for the site....! [​IMG]

But I couldn't find the "Stroker McGurk" transfer...? That was my first attempt at transfering...! I didn't see it on the site.. [​IMG]

(It didn't go to good..., too much heat = burned T [​IMG])

I did notice a lot of simularities in some of the HAMBers art styles..., and now I see where they got it...! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mark

9. Muscle machine was trying to do some cars with that cartoon licence

10. Rocket88

Rocket88

I've got a stack of them at home from th early 80's.
    I'm pretty sure they still have the iron on tranfers.

11. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

HUH WHA!! Krass and Bernie were GAY [​IMG] CARtoons was a cool little mag though.

12. lostparts

lostparts

hell yeh, thoses mags were great.
    one of the main artists george trosley, still shows up with his bag of tricks at the "hot rod hoe down" in philadilpha.
    he also has a website. check him out as well as the hoe down, you won't be sorry..........

13. Spike!

Spike!

George is a local guy. Real nice too. I've been trying to get him on here for some time. I'll keep working on him..

spike

14. hemi

hemi

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Krass and Bernie weren't gay you homophobic idiots...they were single bachelors building cool cars. If that was the stereotypical homosexual profile, this place would be full o' fags....or at least more so than it already is, anyways... [​IMG]

They always did it right:
    They built the car, and then they both ended up with a couple of chics with big boobs, and no noses.(nobody likes nosey girls anyways!)
    What an inspiration and a decent set of role models for gear headed kids! Hooray for K&B and their fake blowered V-Dub powered rail.

I do remember seeing a Trosely Cartoon in Hustler when I was really young...I was in shock, like learning that your grandmother actually poops or something....there it was, the familiar Trosley signature, the wobbly lines, the facial expressions, only there weren't ANY cars....just a rice paddy worker pooping, and two tied up dogs talking to each other, saying. "Well damn, There's old Rex."
    My brain is permanently warped....

I think that Shawn Kerri was one of the greatest artists to ever live...her work was so distinctive, so dynamic, and so full of energy that I believed the people she drew were real.
    It is such a shame that she is gone [​IMG]
    RIP

If it wasn't for CARtoons, and Trosely, and the rest of the guys who held those dream jobs, I seriously question if I would have stuck with drawing....

15. jdubbya

jdubbya

If you go to www.georgetrosley.com there is a link to Cartoons magazine, and they show alot of the iron-ons.

Attached Files:

16. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

oh man I forgot about those! the iron ons were awesome!
    what year was that? I was pretty young if I remember but I clearly remember those iron ons now.

thanks for the links

17. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Trosley does a full page cartoon for us every month. Next time you're at the liquor store, put down that issue of Beaver Hunt and pick up a StreetTrucks and check it out for yourself.

18. I'm like Rocket,still got a box full!! Hey anyone still got any of the old comic books like"drag racing" or "racing wheels"??Any body even remember them??I'll have to dig those out when i get my scanner to do more than make "fart" noises. [​IMG]
    the Reverand

19. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

Ah yes I loved CARtoons as a kid. Shit I still do. It was a big influence on my artwork. We (as a family) would go to the grocery store once a month cuz that is how ya did it as a family living out in the middle of sticks. My brother and I would sit by the magazine rack and read the CARtoons issue cover to cover and then go home and read em again and again. My favorites were definitely Krass and Bernie (FUCK that they were not gay! They were always trying to get chicks, check out the issue when they did the Traffic Jam Merc...) Oh yeah Shawn Kerri rocked too. Her style was insane. I loved the movement style she added to her vehicles. Trosely "How to Draw" were always another favorite. I always put a WWWAAA or a Dugga dugga dugga on my drawings just as he did..

Then I remember the first time I saw his stuff in Hustler it was a two part cartoon of a guy filling ballons with his fart vapor and then selling them to children in the next panel dressed up as a circus clown.. Ah shit he did some funny shit for that mag.

I miss CARtoons though. I was in the middle of a subscription when BAM no more issues no warning or anything.

20. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I dug the real early ones with Unk and them Varmits. Also the ones with Robert Williams. All time favorite, any strip that Errol McCarthy did (the "what happened next" series). The best artist they ever had, hands down! -stick

21. i liked the earlier CarToons from the 60's with Unk and the varmits too....but the ones i REALLY liked were very first ones...1959-1963 when pete Millar was still there before he left to do Drag Cartoons....Drag Cartoons was the best

22. but the ones i REALLY liked were very first ones...1959-1963 when pete Millar was still there before he left to do Drag Cartoons....Drag Cartoons was the best

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I must be a little old fashioned but to me Pete Millar WAS CARtoons.He was my hero and my inspiration to start painting from the first time I saw his work in Hot Rod magazine in 1955.Arin Cee and his sidekick(that crazy cat with the bandage wrapped around his tail).
    Some of the first work I ever did on cars were plagiarized Millar characters.I had a conversation with him about a year before he died and he was a great guy to talk to.What REALLY blew me away was I got a call one night from his daughter!She had seen some pix of my car with the tribute to him on it(which co-incidentally was right next to my phone #)and just wanted to call and thank me for remembering him.Really made my day!
    Before I get called on it this is in no way to minimize the work of the other cartoonists who helped make CARtoons such a great read.I have the utmost respect for anyone who can crank out stuff like that.

23. hemi

hemi

I agree, Pete Millar and the rest were CARtoons...Unk and them Varmits were as cool as it gets. Only problem is, it was the early 80's when this little fella was going to the super market and getting an education in cars....It was this time period that helped shape my brain. I absorbed each new issue like a sponge, reading, and re-reading and drawing what I saw. I even had a few letters published...

I'm sure I was born too late, but if I had been a lad of the early 60's, I would have read the same book, (kinda like Trosley's "Then and Now" bit) and had a different perspective artistwise, but for me, and my first hand experiences, Trosley, Kerri, Joe Borer, Scott CARter, Tom Foxmarnick, that Leslie chick, and the rest ARE Cartoons....I had to read the other stuff much later in life. I still dig it, but there isn't any warm and fuzzy feeling reading Unk and them Varmits, like you probably get...I just think they kick ass.

24. Rocket88

Rocket88

Are 20 year old iron ons any good?

Attached Files:

25. hemi

hemi

Cool!

I don't know if they are still any good...they never were that great when new....wash the shirt inside out, and hang it dry if you give it a whirl.

26. I would give anything to have all my old issues of CarToons! Man I loved Unk and the Varmits. I think I have one issue left out in the garage where Unk hot rods a skateboard and the usual madness ensues. Also one where two guys fire up a motor on a stand and it is so loud they try to muffle it by putting their asses over the headers and the cops show up and the thing launches off them while they are cracking up. I think that was Trosley's work. I never did get into mainstream comics, I was raised on CarToons and The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (man Gilbert Shelton could draw cars!) from my dads underground comics collection. I wish I could thank everyone from CarToons in person for the influence they had on my art! Anyone have any issues they want to donate to my library????

27. quickrod

quickrod

CARtoons rocked!i used to go to the convienence store next to my junior high school and get every new issue to read in study hall.loved the little details pete millar would draw into his stuff{parts and tools and shit layin around} krass and bernie wer'nt gay STONED yes,but not gay,i mean come on they had a fuckin hippie van dude!the funniest shit to me by far was when trosley would illustrate a car makin a pass with his"WAAAAAAA{shift}WAAAAAAA{shift}WAAAAAAAAA!!!that little "shift"thing used to crack me up......wish that mag was still around...quickrod [​IMG]

28. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I remember lookin thru those when I was a kid! Those mags rocked! I was a little too young to get my own, but my dad always got 'em. I have ALL of his car mags, from the late 50's/early 60's all the way up til the subscriptions got put in my name... I bet I still have some cartoons somewhere. I have BOXES full of old car mags that I've never looked through! [​IMG]

29. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

my ol lady bought me some for christmas last year...i was so excited...they brought back alot of good memories