Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermann Michel* of Voorde, Germany was a foreman at the Krupp Germania shipyard in Kiel, Germany. Through his work, he experienced the common problems of two-stroke submarine engines. Seeking to avoid the disadvantages of conventional engines, Michel designed a unique, new engine. He believed his engine would be particularly well suited for marine use. His design was for an opposed piston, two-stroke, diesel engine. Beyond the use of opposed pistons, the Michel engine was unique in that it was a crankless cam engine. With minor changes in the basic engine design, the cylinder group could either be stationary or rotate like a rotary engine. Michel filed a patent application for his engine configuration in Germany on 20 July 1920 and in the United States on 23 August 1921.

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

On 17 May 1922 at Brooklands, England, Kenelm Lee Guinness set an official world land speed record* of 133.75 mph (215.25 km/h). This record was set in a Sunbeam racer, powered by a 350 hp (261 kW) Sunbeam Manitou V-12 engine of 1,118 cu in (18.3 L) displacement. This car was later sold to Malcom Campbell and became the first Blue Bird. The Sunbeam Motorcar Company was very involved in record-breaking and racing at this time. At Sunbeam, Louis Coatalen and Vincenzo Bertarione designed a Grand Prix car, but it was never built. The design ended up being sold to Prince Djelaleddin (sometimes spelled Djelalledin).

3. The 16-cylinder KHD Dz 710 two-stroke diesel. Note the blower at the end of the engine with the coolant pump below and the fuel injection pumps under the engine.

[​IMG]

4. Studebaker Commander Eight

[​IMG]

5. The old L-head straight six engine was the economic offer in the range. It delivered half of the power of the V8 and was actually less fuel efficient. For the 1960 Lark cylinder head and carburetor were improved. The engine was fitted with four main bearings and offered long life and good reliability.
    The more modern V8 was also very rugged, has five main bearings and was designed to run with long service intervals. As an option a four-barrel carburetor could be fitted on the V8, increasing the power with 15 HP. With this engine the Lark accelerated from 0 to 60 mph (96 kph) in about 9.5 seconds.
    [​IMG]

6. Stude Avanti by the Granatelli Brothers.
    638 HP in 1963!!

[​IMG]

7. Man, If I found one of those I'd build a period roadster around it! Looks like a little Offy.:eek:

8. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I think that is the Bob Walker than hauled boats for Chrysler in the '60's. At least that's how I remember him.

9. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I too spent some time in SoCal in the '60's. Remember raising front ends about '61 or so and put your car into the "Competition" look. Had to remove the front bumper as well. Old friend that worked at Orange County Register named Larry Johnson. Haven't seen nor heard of him in years. His dad was an Orange County Sheriff's Deputy.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  10. Actually I grew up in Oregon. Pretty much the same everywhere though California was ( and is) the center of the universe!

11. Great photos Gary, I have been sharing some of them in a Group, I am 63 and know what you speak of. Long Island, NY has plenty of Hot Rodding history going way back to 1904 and the Vanderbilt races. He was building Hot Rods out of what was available in His time.

12. NewportNic

NewportNic

General Eisenhower Command Car
    [​IMG]

13. NewportNic

NewportNic

Detroit, Michigan, Main Library
    [​IMG]

14. NewportNic

NewportNic

Detroit- Windsor Tunnel Entrance
    [​IMG]

15. JD Miller

JD Miller

That is Hart Park in Orange Calif. James R Wann 1930

[​IMG]
    Orange Police Department automobile in front of the Orange City Hall, ca. 1930

16. The engine in the car in this picture looks to be a double overhead cam straight eight and not a V12.

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Thank You Mr. Reynolds for the pics! I'm 62, Things change, people change, I don't like it !! I graduated high school in the summer of 69, BIG difference between then and now!! Chris

20. GreenMtnMan

GreenMtnMan

My Grandfather (left) and his brother. No idea what the car is, the license plate reads 1931.

Attached Files:

21. It looks to be a 1930 Nash.

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Man, isn't that the truth.
    I'm 63 and I am so grateful I was raised when I was. I grew up right in the middle of "Ground Zero" for all things hot rod related, just east of downtown Los Angeles.
    Imagine a kid today having to wait until the car radio "warmed up" before it worked? Same with the TV.
    Or not having an answering machine and having to keep calling until your friend was home and picked up the phone.
    Imagine wanting to know about "something" and having to go to the library to find out.
    And don't get me started about vacant lots to play in.
    Or when a teacher, parent, policeman (or any adult) for that matter, tells you to stop or start doing something, you just did it.
    Or when you wouldn't dare cuss when there were adults around.
    I am SO glad I grew up in the 1950's and 60's.
    I don't have to pretend that I know how "it was". I was there.
    I don't have to read about vintage drag racing. I was there. Lions, San Gabriel, Fontana, Pomona, Irwindale.....etc
    I don't have to hear about hot rodding. I was doing it.
    I just got lucky. Great family. My dad was a local police officer, and we had a good, modest life. My mom stayed home while my sister and I walked to elementary school every day.
    The best day EVER was coming home from school on a friday and seeing the new "Hot Rod Magazine" sitting on my bed. My parents got me a subscription in 1961. BEST DAY EVER....!
    Gary, I'm right there with you.
    I could type for hours and hours about all the cool stuff I saw and did....:)
    But I still have cool stuff to do. The '34 in the garage needs cleaning and I'm getting my camera gear ready for opening day at El Mirage Dry Lakes in two weeks. Oh, and looking forward to Bonneville in August, too.
    Gary....you understand. You were THERE!

[​IMG]

23. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

D.H., you hit the nail squarely on the head. Couldn't agree more. Alas, time marches on. We are just old (61 myself) rodders hanging on to our glory days. And, we are all just hanging by a thread.

24. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

When you go to El Mirage, would you see if you could take a shot of
    a silver camero (#85) for me please ? (Fergison & Adams) as I am
    (and my older brother) a friend of Reese, (long time member of the S.C.T.A.) :cool:

25. Also grew up in the Mecca of hot rodding, Southern California, Ventura County to be exact. Graduating in '62 was the best time ever to be a kid, in yesterday's America.

26. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

I am 77 years old, just got back from my air force reunion in Myrtle Beach. When I was young I owned a `32 Chevy coupe with a Corvette 283 engine. I enjoy this site and the old pictures, don't post much.. Besides the `37 Chevy coupe I have two original flathead Fords and hang out on the Fordbarn as Shadetree.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Will do, Mr. Hill

28. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Got one of these three doors in our shop fitting out with front disc, should be rolling next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.