Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank you!
    I'm laid off, have a lot of time on my hands.
    I'm 61 years old, much if not most of what I grew up with has vanished without a trace. The internet has some pics of "days gone by", the rest has vanished into obscurity, and I mean vanished. People and places from my youth are just gone, can't find a mention of them anywhere!
    I grew up next to small airport with a hot rodding older brother in the car crazy 50's and 60's. Jets were relativly new, atomic everything was the wave of the future, nobody had been to outer space yet. The world was full of possibilities, lot's less people. Four TV channels, AM radio, stereo was futuristic!
    I'm just posting stuff I find interesting in the hope others will too.
    If there are repeats, sorry, I'm not going to scour 91,000 pictures to see!
    The HAMB is one of the few places that seems to appreciate history, though it seems most of you weren't born yet!
    If you weren't, you missed out on one of the greatest times in American history!

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    garham likes this.
  2. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

You said it Gary! Post on Brother!

3. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Re post 91227: That car has been photographed many times in Isky's old shop since the car was 'rediscovered' by Hot Rod Magazine back in the late '70s or early '80s. Don't know if he ever had to cut off the pipes as seen here. That is a 426 Hemi back there. May have been a photo shoot set up to look like some guy working on his old roadster.

4. argand

argand
    from New Jersey

I'm 68,the world is even more bizarre to me. Worse than the changes to places and things are the change in the people. Car stuff here on this thread is cool but the street scenes of ordinary people are even better.You guys gotta keep it up - don't have no PICs to share

5. jroberts

jroberts

How about some Duesenberg action.

Duesenberg at Pikes Peak

[​IMG]

"
    If you looked at this picture and instantly noticed that both front wheels are in the air, you aren’t alone.
    To this day the 1932 Whitney Straight Type 91 ex-Scuderia Ferrari Duesenberg is the fourth fastest car ever around the Brooklands Outer Circuit having achieved a top speed of 138.15 mph on 13th October 1934 in the hands of famous racing driver, Whitney Straight." (Found at silodrome.com)

[​IMG]

Jimmy Murphy in the number 12 Duesenberg (bottom) is leading Ralph DePalma
    in the number 4 Ballot on April 10, 1921 at Beverly Hills Speedway. (Found at autoracingmemories.com)

[​IMG]

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

91221-91226 are at Dover Drag Strip in Wingdale NY closed in 76 but the spirit is still alive at doverdragstrip.com and every August at Lebenon Valley Dragway in NY

Here are some more pictures from the track. Circa 1964

Pat

Attached Files:

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

10. swi66

swi66

11. swi66

swi66

12. swi66

swi66

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Great old photo's from years ago when life seemed so much slower.

Thanks for posting because they really bring back memories for me.

Jimbo

14. bigsur

bigsur
    from Scotland

15. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

Lancia bodied by Pinin, maybe?

16. McDowell SOHC T engine conversion

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. Alexander OHV Ford conversion

[​IMG]

18. D. O. Dudda
    Shown here is the cylinder head of a Double Overhead Cam Dudda that was raced in the Illinois and Indiana area in the early 1930s. The Dudda engine was developed by Gustof “Gus” Dudda in the late 1920s and utilized either a Chrysler or Plymouth block. ​
    [​IMG]

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Great Dover shots.

20. Chrysler Imperial
    This 384 cubic-inch straight-eight with nine-main bearings, Winfield Model S carburetors, and magneto ignition was driven by Raul Riganti to a 14<SUP>th</SUP> place finish in the 1933 Indianapolis &#8220;500&#8221; ​
    [​IMG]

21. Aristocrat
    This engine was developed by Alexander Automotive Eng. Co. of Inglewood, California. It is an overhead valve push rod engine &#8211; Motor Racing News
    [​IMG]

22. Lawhon Special
    This 4-cylinder engine was designed and constructed in the St. Joseph, Missouri engine shop of George and Ernie Lawhon who campaigned it in their racing cars in the 1930s and &#8216;40s. There were at least two different versions of this single overhead cam engine, one with two intakes and another with four intakes. Both were cross flow single head and block castings with a separate crankcase and four exhausts. One of each of these versions of Lawhon Special engines is on display in &#8220;Speedy&#8221; Bill Smith&#8217;s Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, Nebraska &#8211; St. Joseph News-Press photo​
    [​IMG]

23. Gallivan
    This dual overhead cam Model T Ford conversion engine was developed by Jack E. Gallivan and was available through his shop in Illinois from 1926 until 1930. The engine had a pair of two-inch valves in each cylinder and the cams were gear driven. It was considered to be rather pricey with the head alone going for around $750 - The Illustrated History of Sprint Car Racing: 1896-1942 by: Jack C. Fox​
    [​IMG]

24. Morton & Brett Dodge
    [​IMG]

25. <TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width="50%">
    Popp
    Overhead valve in line 4-cylinder - The Mighty Midgets by Jack C. Fox​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

26. <HEADER class=entry-header>
    Duesenberg W-24 Marine Engine

<!-- .comments-link --></HEADER><!-- .entry-header -->By William Pearce
    Although his father was a co-founder of the Dodge Brothers Company, progenitor to today&#8217;s Dodge automobile company, Horace Elgin Dodge Jr. did not follow his father into the automobile business. But like his father, he was very interested in watercraft. In 1923, after his father had passed, he founded Dodge Boat Works in Detroit, Michigan. This venture was backed by a $2 million investment from his mother, Anna Thompson Dodge.
    [​IMG]

Dodge was very involved in boat racing, and he wanted to create a boat that would be unbeatable. In 1925, Dodge approached Duesenberg Brothers Racing to build an engine to propel him to victory in the Gold Cup race. An agreement was made, and a contact was signed on 27 January 1926&#8212;$32,500 for the construction of two complete engines with enough spare parts to build a third. The first engine was to be delivered on 15 June 1926, with the second following on 6 July 1926. Although Fred Duesenberg was involved with the engine project, it was most likely Augie Duesenberg who did the majority of the work.
    The contracted engine was essentially three straight-eight engines on a common crankcase, creating a W-24. Why a &#8220;W&#8221; engine configuration was chosen is not known, but it does provide for a powerful engine in a fairly compact space. At this same time in history, the Napier Lion W-12 engine was powering record-setting air, land, and marine speed machines, and it is easy to see how the Lion could have served as inspiration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.