Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Impala SS 409/425hp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mechanic58, May 1, 2014.

1. mechanic58

mechanic58

This car is on eBay right now and its in my area. I have no doubts the owner is WAYYYYY off on his pricing for this car in its current condition. Hell, some have sold recently at Barrett-Jackson, fully restored, for just a couple grand more than his BIN price. I just wonder what this car might really be worth. Of course we'll have to assume he's telling the truth about the numbers matching, etc. Personally I'm skeptical. There just aren't many of these kinda finds left.

2. 61 chevy

61 chevy

if you have to rebuild 409, then the price will really go up for you in parts and labor, no 409 has ever sold low at B Jackson

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

If your skeptical go see it and check for yourself since it's "in your area". As for finds there are a few still around you just have to look.

BTW Bonehead Jackoff auctions cater to the elite side of the auction world, Most here don't care for them.

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

Well, it really doesn't matter what 'most' think - B-J is a good barometer for gauging the real value of rare, original cars. If a restored, numbers-matching 409 Impala sells at B-J for 27k....then this guy has a slim chance of getting anywhere near this kinda cash for this car. Because as you said - they cater to the elite - the people with the big money. This means people with little money sure as hell ain't payin that much for it. lol

I am going to look at it, tomorrow night maybe.

5. slammed

slammed

Ebay & BJ (zing) are not popular post material around here. From a positive outcome anyway.

6. Larry T

Larry T

If you're looking to go back original, an air cleaner will run 750.00 - give or take.

Needs fuel lines. You can get them, but the 409 guys seem to be real picky about the y that goes on them (needs casting number on the bottom and the repos don't have them.)

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would suggest buying one of the other numbers matching 409/425 4 speed Impala's for sale right now.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Probably the cheapest way out. What are they bringing $30,000.00 or ????

You won't restore that one for less money.

As far as what they are bringing, a customer of mine bought a running (just barely) numbers matching 63 QB Impala for around $10,000.00 quite a few years ago.

9. mechanic58

mechanic58

Yeah...if you can find one.

Yes I know. I am mainly just curious see one of these cars in the rough. Usually when you see one it's been restored and has a "don't touch" sign on it.

I talked to the guy on the phone today. I asked him where he came up with his pricing data. He started telling me all about how much he had in it....you know the rest of the story. He's one of "those guys...".

Doesn't know any history on the car....doesn't know any of the date codes on the block or trans. All he knows is that the engine ID ends with "QB". He's guessing at all the rest. At this point I'm figuring he'll be doing good to get $5,500 out of this car. I am going to try and slip up there and look at it tomorrow night if I got time. I really want to see it.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

engine,trans,shifter,steering column, rear end, seats and you are pushing 5 grand...

11. Larry T

Larry T

By 1963 the engines had the partial vin stamped on the block, so just having a QB block doesn't make it "matching numbers". And I'd sure check all the numbers on the transmission, rearend, etc. 425 horse 409s led a hard life, could have had lots of parts broke and replaces by the end of the 60's.

On the other hand, heads are still bringing over 2500.00 a set. Any 409 stuff with the right date code will bring a bundle to someone. 5,500.00 would probably be a low ball offer.

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

All I see is a fully restored one on ebay, what one are we talking about

13. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...yes I know, however he is the seller, not me. Shit is only worth what they guy with the money (who wants it) is willing to pay you for it. And that is a fact.

I really do hope I get time to go up there and look at it tonight. I am planning to take a wire brush and a good flashlight. I am very skeptical about this car's authenticity. I'm half way expecting to find out it has a 348 in it..lol.

14. mechanic58

mechanic58

He ended the auction last night because he said there were "errors" in the listing. When I talked to him on the phone he mentioned something about showing pictures of the wrong parts car that he was going to let go with it.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

He sounds full of crap. You must have got him thinking. Are you still going to look at the car? If it's real it's a rare one for sure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. mechanic58

mechanic58

I been a car guy all my life. I know other car guys immediately when I start talking to them. This guy is not a car guy. I suspect he is in the business of rooting out American classics and exporting them over seas. He has a large warehouse full of junk cars and trucks. And I do mean junk. Stuff you might find for $800 a pop on craigslist. I knew he was full of shit the minute he told me how much he paid for the car. You never tell someone how much you paid for the car, that's the first rule in the car guy manual. He also wouldn't tell me how long he'd owned it or where he got it from. Said he couldn't remember. A real car guy would remember every last detail about the day he discovered a car like this.

17. There are inspection services that will go and look at the vehicle for you (I do it in S Florida). they will look over the vehicle top to bottom and check numbers BEFORE you bid or buy. This one has a RED light on it.

18. mechanic58

mechanic58

It's only about 60 miles from me.

19. RamJet1

RamJet1

When my dad got his first job out of school at IBM, he immediately went down and ordered a brand new '64 Impala 409/425 dual quad, posi, dual exhaust, two tone red and white hardtop.
    I hope you get pictures and post them up, would be cool to see.

20. mechanic58

mechanic58

Here's some of the pics he had on ebay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. mechanic58

mechanic58

The hole in the floor for the shifter is little bit suspect to me...

22. Larry T

Larry T

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like it has the idler pulley that was unique to the HP 409s, alt. pulley might not be right..............

Just more stuff to look at.

Attached Files:

23. RamJet1

RamJet1

I was thinking the same thing on the shifter hole situation.
    Thanks for the pictures.

24. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

That tach doesn't look right too me.Shouldn't it be same color as dash?

25. mechanic58

mechanic58

Yeah, I see that now also. Like I said, I really do not believe this car is the real deal. Here's the VIN: 41447S314007

I haven't decoded it yet. Even if it is a real 409 car, I am very skeptical it's got all its original parts still.

26. mechanic58

mechanic58

27. Take a look at his completed auctions. How about a "1967 Camaro SS RS" with the 1969 front clip (detail not mentioned in the listing), or the 1980 Corvette he sold twice. He's a character alright!

Steve

28. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I haven't done that yet, good idea.

And it's his wife's eBay account.

29. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...that Vette was also on the local Craigslist here. What a turd. And I can't believe someone paid $6300 for that Camaro...he doesn't even mention in the ad that it has '69 sheetmetal on the front and doors. Wow.

He's selling this stuff overseas, no doubt.