Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects is this legal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by icecube, May 1, 2014.

1. icecube

icecube
    from Kuwait

Hi
    what a great forum , i enjoyed browsing it for few years now , i think its the time for me to start asking some questions before starting my build.
    i want to build a 1930-31 Model A hot rod.
    i will be shipping the car to Kuwait.
    so my question is
    is it legal to buy a title and body ,and use a new frame with it?
    i know its illegal to stamp the vin # on any new frame , but what about riveting a plate to the frame with the vin# ?
    i am doing this because of the strict import regulation in Kuwait.
    thanks

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your question is best answered by local authorities in charge of vehicle registration.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. If you really want a true answer according to the Law, go to your local D.M.V. and ask it not to a forum full of opinions.
    The Wizzard

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I agree, go talk to the authorities in KC.

Before I moved to the US from Ireland I used to ship a few cars there from the US. In all instances it was Irish regulations that were in effect as that was where the car was being brought and registered.

When I then moved to the US and wanted to bring my Cobra with me, it was then the US regulations that I had to abide by.

In short, it is the Kuwaiti regulations you need to worry about, not US regulations. The chances of there being someone on here familiar with Kuwaiti regulations is fairly slim. I would simply call them directly and pose your question. It would be somewhat inconvenient if the car were to arrive in Kuwait City only for it to be refused entry.

I had some dealing with bringing cars into Dubai and from memory Kuwait has a restriction on older cars, like anything more than 5 years old is not permitted into the country? IF that is the case getting a title on an original frame may not help you and in fact might hurt you.

5. Plan on asking your local DMV about anything you read here. You are also going to need to be sure customs and Kuwait law is happy with what you do. I would propose this path but again, check it with DMV before you start down the path. Buy a complete licensed car. Get it in your name. Ask DMV (in advance of course) what it would take to legally change the frame. You might consider just boxing the original frame. They will probably want to put their number on the new frame as well as the door jam. This should accomplish what you want. Don't let them license it as a current year vehicle as that will probably give you problems in Kuwait (of course that is just my guess, you need to check). In answer to your specific questions, to the best of my knowledge it is illegal to just buy a title but this is a question for the DMV. I think the title must go with the frame since that is where the VIN is located (there are no numbers on the body). I would assume that riveting a plate with a number to the frame would be the same as stamping it into the frame (and thus illegal).

Charlie Stephens

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WEX65 nailed it. It is always the regs of where you are going that are the main concern. Proof of legal ownership on what you are taking would be the only issue when leaving this country. Legal to drive or title or license in another country would not be an issue.

As he said you have to research and find out what they allow as far as a modified car goes and if they will accept one with a changed frame. It may be that you will have to ship the car over on it's original frame to get it past customs and other inspections and then swap frames.

A quick search produced this comment on one forum:
    ehicle Import to Kuwait Regulations

1. Owner's presence required at customs clearance for any vehicle
    2. Non-Kuwaiti individuals/firms are not allowed to import vehicles into Kuwait - you will have to go through a broker
    3. Vehicles subject to duties %% plus fees
    4. Used vehicles over five years old are not permitted
    5. Owner of the vehicle must have a valid Residence Permit in order to import an auto
    6. Contact destination agent prior to importation to obtain current regulations
    7. Documents required:
    - Registration Certificate
    - Purchase Invoice

no one i know who imported their car really thought it was a good idea after all the hassle
    - unless it's a vintage car it can't be more than 5 years old - plenty of cars here mate

If you are going over for a job and aren't from there originally you might want to read the vehicle section here (scroll down the page) http://www.movers.com/international_movers/customs-regulations/kuwait.html

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My first question would have been, "Is something home built, even legal in Kuwait?" Can you imagine being in a Kuwait jail, due to a falsified VIN. tag? Don't they cut off hands and feet for any given reason?

8. icecube

icecube
    from Kuwait

thanks everyone for the replays.
    i did ask the local DMV they don’t care if its a rebody or a new frame , all they do care about is that the vin # must be present on the frame.
    and it has a clear US title
    since i am a citizen i can import any car that's older thank 40 years it will be registered as classic car.

tfeverfred , we don’t cut hands , feet or heads in Kuwait .
    according to Kuwaiti law drug dealers a murdered should be executed , but the law is not active , so they just spend decades in jail .

i guess i have all the answers now , just need to find a good body with clear title .

regards

9. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Best of luck. At least you wont have to worry about fresh rust down there!!

10. icecube

icecube
    from Kuwait

wex65 , thanks
    i guess rust is not the problem , paint fading is. from the heat and direct sun light.

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

There is a reason they sell the star stamp. just don't tell the government.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not many flatheads there, warmer than Southern Cali?

13. icecube

icecube
    from Kuwait

Not many flatheads , I have seen few originals and factory five 33.
    It gets close to 130f in Jun , July and August.