Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Vintage Road Race Programs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Jalopy Journal, May 1, 2014.

1. The Jalopy Journal

The Jalopy Journal

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Maybe this time the art

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, Jay. That second Langhorne cover ('56) . . . the cars have the somewhat anthropomorphized personalities, while the drivers are lifeless, ghostlike blobs.

Headlights as eyes, grills as mouths . . . certainly can see why you like this one! ;)

5. autobilly

autobilly

Me too, thanks for posting these great examples. Although not a program, the art in my avatar is from the NHRA '62 Winternationals decal, of which I have an unused original and a repop sticker on my tool box.

6. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

There were road races held in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park in the 1950s, hard as that is to believe today. Air bases were popular venues in the '50s as well. Many WWII pilots came back from Europe with the sports car bug and that gave rise to organized races on military bases. USAF General Curtis LeMay, famous for his cigar-chomping style, had a '58 Corvette and participated in a few of these events. The one problem was that enlisted personnel were used as "volunteer" labor (anyone who has been in the service shudders at the word "volunteer") and they began to grump about losing their weekends to staffing road races for the officer corps. The wives complained too and that was the end of airbase racing. My dad caught the sports car bug un the early '50s when he was in the USAF and bought a '52 MG-TD, then a new '66 MG Midget which he traded-in on a new '67 Austin Healey 3000. Good times.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bonneville Butch worked on a number of Cad Allards that had been brought back after the occupation.
    He prepared 3 of them in 1980 to run the Classic at Laguna Seca.
    We were trailering one down and stopped at the CHP scales, about 20 miles from the track...the CHP officers were all over that car, a thousand questions.
    Butch said he had been up all night with linkage and ignition problems, hadn't road tested it.
    The sergeant said, "No time like the present...go ahead, our blessing."
    Butch fired the Allard up...Noisy! He left gingerly, the guys were ecstatic.
    I followed him in the truck. An exceptionally cool alliance.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I like the second Stockton one....

9. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I wonder what compact car was raced@ Daytona back in 1960

10. Carrell Speedway 1948

Attached Files: