Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects making the Woodward Roadster out of my 39 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quintin, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Impressive fabrication skills on that hood and grill assembly. I'm hooked on seeing where you are going with this.

2. Quintin

Quintin

I like where the bed sits there. Thanks for the photoshop. I had plans on raising the back of the bed up too. Crazy thing is that i already lowered the bed around 5 inches from when I got the truck on trade.
    Thanks for the positive feedback- planning to kick some ass friday night again.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

YES on 'raking' the bed! Two inches is all I ask...

4. Squablow

Squablow

Here's what that would look like once the bed is tilted.

I'm really enjoying following along with this build and I can't wait to see the weekend progress.

[​IMG]

5. A Boner

A Boner

^
    Last pic looks good......neat little truck you got going there!

I picture it with a modestly laid back and modestly V'd homemade windshield.

6. You have taken a lot of ugly off of it !........ made it flow nice!

7. Quintin

Quintin

Well i took the box off.......... and I kinda like it. Not 100%

Attached Files:

8. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

I'm with you the not 100% sure. I like it better without the bed , but it still looks unfinished. How about some 47 Buick rear fenders with a filler panel in between?

Elwood

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you want to run it like a Modified, I think your rear end needs to come in 6" and/or a bigger wheel and tire. Also going to want to bob the frame back there a bit.

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Keep the bed, just add a rolled pan under the back edge and some skirt panels along the sides to bring the bottom down even with the body.

11. Quintin

Quintin

If I did ditch the bed I think I would get a different gas tank to go the width of the frame

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

X2 for keeping the bed. Like the suggestion for roll pan and side skirts.

The body isn't right for a speedster look.

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

13. Quintin

Quintin

Got a couple more panels made. Hopefully more tomorrow. Still undecided about keeping the bed. Im trying to picture a fordson style tank on the back and cutting the frame off behind the spring. I'm just going to focus on the front end for now i guess.

Attached Files:

14. Quintin

Quintin

I'm not a photoshop guy. This is my (paint) photoshop of my half buzzed up idea of a gas tank.

Attached Files:

15. rideordie

rideordie
    from Oregon

really cool build looking good!

16. RussTee

RussTee

Keep the bed it will be good with a little reworking plus it is practable on runs to carry a few beers and a foldup chair or two it looking good

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My exact thought. You see that droopy diaper tilt to the bed way too much on frame swap AD trucks and the top rail of the bed needs to be on the same plane as the style line of the cab and hood. I'm going to assume that he has spent all of his effort on the nose and dash area and just hasn't got there to deal with the bed yet though.

I sure like everything that has been done to it so far and this one ought to be a knockout when it's done.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd keep the bed as it gives it it's own distinct personality while capturing the flavor of John's Woodward special.

As I said in my post above the turn off on the bed is that the line of the top rail sags towards the rear instead of keeping the same plane as the style line on the body. I'd either put some blocks in the back or drop the front or a combination of the two to get it on the same line as the style line and stand back and look. I don't know if it has to be exactly lined up with the bottom half of the style line but that might help.

19. jdownunder

jdownunder

lots of good advice it'll get you thinking
    im just watching where you take it
    nice build
    j

20. ^^In complete agreement!!!^^

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. A Boner

A Boner

Run it with the bed. Just don't put one of those dumb ass floors in it. The floors that are 6" from the top of the bed just look dumb. Just build a luggage rack type tubular structure in there to strap on your traveling gear.

22. Quintin

Quintin

After looking at it more.... (and alittle more beer), I think I'm gonna run the bed. As for the bed floor/ cover, I dont have too many choices. The fuel tank and spring perch are fairly high, even more when I lower it. But again I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I agree that the box looks best, and you could still run one of those oval gas tanks on the back, just mount it in the box so about half of it is visible above the bed rails and fill the rest in with a tonneau cover or something to cover up the frame step. Would be the best of both worlds.

The new hood panels look good, can't wait to see more.

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I like it with the bed... But maybe an earlier bed... If I remember right the earlier Chevys had a shallower bed side and the stake pockets were kinda curvy... Art Deco like.. I think that would flow nice with your new front end... Even if you do nothing more that truck has improved 100%!

25. Quintin

Quintin

I got a 32-33 Chevy gas tank from an old timer in town for 5 bucks, and got the head lights mounted as well. I jacked the rear end up about 2 inches. Got some steel to finish some frame work this weekend. Cheers

Attached Files:

26. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Wwo, you really made this truck look nice. I really like the front work you're doing. I also say keep the bed as well. With the minor tweaks and a tank like you're thinking, it should look killer. Keep up the great work!

27. A Boner

A Boner

Bigger pic's are better!

image.jpg

kiwijeff, Quintin and sko_ford like this.
  28. Quintin

Quintin

I finally got my gas tank back from getting acid cleaned out and made a mount for it. Finished the frame work-filled holes and welded in gussets. Mounted my taillights and headlight bubbles on. Getting there.....

Attached Files:

sko_ford likes this.
  29. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

It's looking great!!!!!

30. Here's a couple of ideas.
    Turtle deck, like a model T, but built to size.
    Boat tail, made using a 39 hood.
    Probably way to late now, I like the original deck, but the two ideas mentioned, hadn't been, so thought I'd throw them out there.
    I'd like to see a Photoshop of the boat tail idea.
    Any updates?