Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1928 ford blown hemi race car found!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lazlobassett, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow... it doesn't get much better than this!

Thor1 likes this.
  2. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Wow, what a find! Congrats !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. afaulk

afaulk

Some people have ALL the luck. Great hotrod!!!!!!!!

Thor1 likes this.
  4. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Man, waaaayyyyy cool.

Scotty

5. recycler

recycler

Great find! PLEASE keep the car as is and just get everything put back together and working. This kind of find with the parts and documented history is a holy grail.

Thor1 likes this.
  6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Incredible find, congrats!

7. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I ordered block hugger headers and the hemi info book from Hot Heads yesterday. It looks like the spalding ignition system will work and probably the blower kit too.
    They came off a 331 that was blown up. I don't know much about these hemis, never had one so I'm learning here.

The car was in a change when parked going from strip to street and never completed. The firewall is new at this time I guess, it is 1/4" plate steel! But has no marks for the radiator support rods or holes for mounting coils n the like.

There is no obvious provision for mounting the grill, the radiator mounts in front of it to tabs welded to the shell. Headlight bar was cut to allow the rad n shell to be forward, probably needed in any case with that motor. I'm thinking new radiator that fits into the shell.

It never wore the Rader wheels that came with it, only the steelies seen in the pics. i haven't checked to see what sizes they are, I know the fronts are 16". The new wheels are ford pattern for the front and pontiac in the rear. I'll see the sizes today when I get over there.
    I'll also take some pictures of the interior, seams for the chop and section. lots of stitches in the rear area.
    He ran a '32 gas tank that hung out the back, I have it, very nice piece, but I don't like to clog up the rear end of this car with a tank, it doesn't look good. And it looks great now. I'm thinking tank inside on the floor or some such.

Any feedback on these ideas? Hemi heads that know the compatibility between the 331 and 392?

kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  8. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

One more, I have never run a blower but always understood that blower pistons and cam are mandatory. I don't plan to run much boost rather have it just for looks, also 3 V belt pulleys are probably not around anymore so changing the drive wouldn't be easy.
    I'd like to hear from folks that know here too.

thanks!

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

This is one of those epic finds that gets written up in magazines. Or at least...should get written up... History, documentation, cool parts... and the best part... a guy willing to sell it.

We were at a local car show over the weekend where we had our work in progress 49 Prefect drag car on display. Had waayyy too many guys tell me stories of what is sitting and rotting in their yard and garage but are simply not willing to part with it. Even worse is that many readily admit they'll never do anything with it. Factor in some bullsh&t stories ... it still leaves a lot of history being hoarded.

10. titus

titus

Very cool find. i personally wouldnt run a store bought header for the car, id build set from, scratch to go with the car, its just to me a new store bought header is gonna stand out like a sore thumb.

Again cool find and an amazing collection of parts to go with it.

11. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I'm with you there Titus, I got a set because I want it to run....like right now! I have been wrestling with myself about cutting down the other header or making a new one from scratch but I don't gas weld, I can cut pipe and glue it together tho...
    Yesterday I pulled the plugs put oil in the cylinders and spun it a few times by hand, feels very good. I plan to mount the radiator and see about firing it up but need exhaust for that...

Cheers!

12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Truly the stuff of dreams. Congrats!

Thor1 likes this.
  13. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

One more post. I just found a post card from Dunkirk Drag races dated July 3rd 1960.
    That has to be where this car ran.

Anyone know of it? There has to be pictures .....help! Pass the word it would be too cool to find good pictures of this car running!

I hope its Ok, I'm going to post another thread asking for help with Dunkirk in the header.

Guess Ryan will let me know if its not ok....

Cheers!

Attached Files:

14. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

15. Very kool old hot rod for sure......Great find

Thor1 likes this.
  16. titus

titus

I hear ya, stick em on for now and do a custom set later.

Again, super cool find with such cool history.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. MoodyRides

MoodyRides

That this is wicked. I really have a cravin for the old race cars.

Thor1 likes this.
  18. Cool, first set of M/T Rader wheels I've seen since I sold my Vette in 1964.

Thor1 likes this.
  19. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Lucky!!!! Why can't that happen to me sometime?

20. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

So what did Honest Charlie's sell Radir wheels for back then? they will look awesome on this car.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. Its time for a Beer after see this"

22. autobilly

autobilly

Congrats. You've obviously got bitchen cars but that beast as an original shed find, almost passes belief.
    What an A1 fantastic mega-score!

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Just sat here and read all 9 pages on my phone while having my morning cigar,that is bad ass!!!! Have you gotten it running yet?

Thor1 likes this.
  24. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Not yet, Hard to believe but i have a few projects that are ahead of that one. i have had a great few months of car finding and that was the last one in.

I do need to get with Carl ( the previous owner and builder) and get the receipts, he wanted to make copies of them.

I'm still looking for more pictures from Dunkirk raceway that might show this car running.

I am also looking for a Chrysler 331 or 354 to rebuild for the blower and the Spaulding flame thrower ignition.

I hope to get on this car by fall of this year.

Cheers!

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What a great car, love the overall look of it. As the original owners of these cars start to get up in years we are seeing more and more of them becoming available. Cars that were never for sale before this are now being cut loose.

Really envy you.

Don

26. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

CONGRATS ON A GREAT FIND OF HOTRODDING HISTORY YOU MUST BE LIVIN RIGHT

Thor1 likes this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Congrats! This kind of stories are very interesting. Old history and barnfind story.

ROCK !

aulis

Thor1 likes this.
  28. This is amazing! That is a gorgeous car. Congratulations on you're find;)

Thor1 likes this.
  29. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

30. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto what the other guys said...Holy Crap!

kidcampbell71 likes this.