Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A dropped front axle and mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wideglidejoe, Apr 24, 2014.

1. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Info please! I've got a bone stock '30 A coupe. I'd like to lower it some, but not drastically, as for now I'm keeping the mechanical brakes. I may convert to juice brakes someday, but not right now.

So, how much of a dropped axle can I use and still use the mech brakes w/o too much fabrication to all the linkage? There's a 2" drop axle on here for sale, will that work? Or should I just reverse the front spring eyes and delete a leaf or two to get to front end down a little?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. I would get the juice brakes done first, then work on getting it lower. I don't care what anyone says about how mech. brakes are fine, they are not safe in todays world with the guy in front of you having 4 wheel discs. I like the idea of getting the A on the road in stock form, just make it safe first, cool second.

3. 32 spindles and perches
    32-34 axle
    a wishbone
    spacer between axle and wishbone
    reversed eye spring

[​IMG]
    lowers it pretty good
    [​IMG]

Dannerr likes this.
  4. Wardog

Wardog

Tub, great work. Are the 32 spindles needed to fit the 32 axle spindle boss or for the steering arm location?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

5. The spindles have replaceable steering balls for one and the look cool following the drop on the axle. Model a's would work
    Tk

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. jkeesey

jkeesey

Just removing a few leafs will drop you 2"-4". It all depends on how low you want to go.

7. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

You can get pretty low and keep mechanicals. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398812714.792002.jpg

8. Wardog

Wardog

Low buck, nice coupe. What method did you use?

9. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks man! What do you mean about what method did I use?

10. doctorZ

doctorZ

11. Wardog

Wardog

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I used a reversed eye spring, leaves removed, with complete 1935 Ford axle swap and 1935 mechanical brakes which I'd rate as better than themodel A items.

Beware your steering geometry when you lower it as things can change slightly.

Oh, and also used the 35 wire wheels which will help get it down lower...

Attached Files:

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

16. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Thanks for all of the replies! This is the first car I've owned with mech brakes. My dad had a A and a '36 before I was born (I'm a 52 model), and he had '40 & '41 cars and '47 1/2 ton after I came along, so I've got some exposure to the older stuff, just not mech brakes, until now.

Since this '30 coupe is so virgin, I'm trying not to do very much to it. I've switched to 16" KH's w/ 6.00's & 7.00's so far, and I'm considering some banger speed equipment, instead of a flattie, even tho' I'd love to do a flattie.

Thanks again, I'll check out the links for improving the mechanical's. I just want to get it a little lower over the 16"s.

17. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Attached Files:

18. laurel&hardly

laurel&hardly
    from minnesota

I have same goals for my 30 coupe. Slight lower stance with the 16 inch wheels. More power, better brakes, and much better steering. Bought the car wanting to do a av8 but now not so sure. Hoping I can gain some pointers here.

19. Salty 28

Salty 28
    from Mandurah

Great info
    Thanks for sharing

20. I did a pre-war build on a '29 Tudor a few years ago, got a 4" drop using Ford parts. Read my build thread '29 banger... 78.JPG 116.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021