Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I have your cylinder head problem figured out....paint "426+1 SEMI-HEMI" on the fender and slide that 509 in that MOPER:D

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

II FUNNY don't think that I haven't thought of that. You know I am not a mopar , ford or chevy guy to to say I like anything that sounds and runs good.

racer-x I am only going to playing with these 906 heads or the 516 because its what I have. This is shoes string budget racing at its best or worst. We are having to jack off the dog to feed the cat (the cat don't like it much but the dog sure likes it)
    The engine in the car has a 906 on and side and a 452 on the other. They claim the 452 is the same as the 906 but the ones that I have laying around to play with are not the same. I was just wanting to wake this thing up a little and maybe get it in the 12s without having the strap a jato rocket on it.

Saxxon the only thing I can say is Perfect.

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

It sounds like the dogs are getting ALL the action in your neighborhood...!:)lol!

Seriously though,just make the most of the junk parts you have on hand and giggle like a madman while guys with 10 times more money in their short block than you have in the whole car stress and obsess over shit while you're sitting in your law chair relaxing between rounds....
    My motor cost me $200.I already had the heads,carb,intake,oil pan,headers,etc from every other sbf that's been through the car before it,so I just picked up a used,supposedly low mile short block,cleaned the roller lifters with varsol,stuck a dinky little used cam in it,and called it good.
    Now granted,it's probably gonna die a gruesome death with stock
    Rod bolts and lots of 6500 rpm passes,but it will be fun while it lasts.:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can't wait to see te crazy shit you guys are bringing!:D

Has Ric been too busy out in the garage with Skynrd cranked,stabbing the new bullet into the Chevy to post on here lately?Im having acronym withdrawl.lol!
    Seriously,looking forward to meeting you both,and seeing Yesterday's Child hang the hoops and rip n snort!:)

Scott

Ps: My junk seriously only cost me 200 bucks.Dont stand too close to the fence or you may need to get medevac'd outta there when it spits its insides out...lol!

6. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

You're a dangerous lunatic who is going to kill thousands of...oh...nevermind...:D

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Baaahahahaaaa!!!!!!

Did I mention anything
    About the seal clubbing...?Its good cardio.:)

Scott

8. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Hey Scott, the "H" pipe looks to be in about the perfect location for a driveshaft loop...maybe leave the exhaust in it and let the "H" pipe do double duty??? I'm sure the tech guys would love that!

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I like the way you think Marc.:)

I was going to do exactly that BUT:

1: I want it to be even noisier and more obnoxious than it already are

2: Mongo not like when tech guy yell and humiliate him in front of 399 other Meltdown participants

I am REALLY antsy for July to get here!!!!:D

Scott

10. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Saxxon, the perfect is cool as hell !!! Like it alot. Dont let Quain see those pro mod bars or he will put you on the rotten list.
    Scott, Im bringing some bushel baskets and see who catches the most flying carnage..........
    On a side note,if this pans out, our (great lakes gassers) first outing will be on May 17th (Detroit dragway reunion) and there has been talk of a former miss michigan turned news caster covering this event and agreed to ride down the track for the race coverage, guess with who ? Cant wait till the 6 o clock news on the 17th comes on tho..........

11. dblgun

dblgun

Our 63 has run well into the 10 second range with 915 and 906 heads with no exotic mods. You should be fine with the direction you're headed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Hey Johnny , can i run next to you on said run? Might be fun to shoot some video of that action! :D:D

13. i would go with the 452 head. it has hardened seats and most importantly a raised short side radius on the exhaust. they do respond well to porting.

14. im so pumped up. i got word my son and i are both registered for drag week. it sold out in eight minutes. any one else going to drag week and the melt down.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

racer-x I have a pair of each 516 , 906 , and 452 and on the exhaust side I cant see 2 cents worth of difference on the exhaust side the only difference I can see in these heads is the 906 has a better short side on the intake side in my opinion (not that means anything) the 452 and 516 bottom of the port is real flat to the seat.

I was on the Drag Week list 2 years ago and was so far down on the list I figured I would never get in so I screwed around and didn't get my car done then they Emailed me and said I could run because of the number of cars that had dropped out but I was not ready so I had to pass. I hope to be ready for next year.

16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Heres a few pics of Quain Donovan and Shannon from this weekend...wish I had seen it in person...oh, and "
    WHITE TRASH" got a new dress:D

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Every car in these pics will be at the melt down defending the South

18. We're looking forward to seeing you guys again in July. Make sure those cars are all ready... but don't break anything...;)

PS: Please tell Donovan the White Trash looks great in its new dress :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  19. Getting my project ready...

[​IMG]

20. the worst part of a mopar bb head is the exhaust port. to really see the difference you need a flow bench. throw in some big valves and a good 5 angle valve job. port them staying away from the short side ex. if you can get a bowl hog cutter and have access to a head machine you can remove a lot of material real fast. it will save you a lot of time with a hand grinder. you just have to do the blending. for a 40 plus year old design they do work well. if you have to buy valves,springs,retainers,locks,hardened or enlarged seats then do all the port and machine work it gets expensive. when all the costs are added up the indys may be the way to go. my son picked up a set complete with rockers for 650 dollars. either way good machine work and attention to assemble will get you the farthest.

21. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

For what its worth i have used these little goodies before in prepping a set of heads. They work pretty good if your at the beginning stages of learning bowl blending , at least they can give you a base line starting point.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/mopar-performance-cylinder-head-porting-templates

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Uncledirty616 I was planning on getting a set of those not having a flow bench I think it would be a good investment. And I was going for the steel shim head gaskets. That looks like my best chance for a little more compression on the cheep.

23. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

[​IMG]
    Pushed my wagon out of winter storage to move her to the shop and finish getting her ready for the meltdown. Made a list on a piece of cardboard and got overwhelmed at everything I have do do. First time I felt like I might not make it.

24. those plastic gauges will get you close but they are rather crude. they are plastic and need to be cut out from the sheet. depending on how you cut them out you could have three different ports. you could cut inside the black line. on the black line or outside the black line. a bowl hog is still the fastest and gives the most accuracy port to port. i have the tool to remove the inner spring seat and reshape the guide for pc. seals. pm me and i can send it to you.

25. Monte,
    Just don't worry about that "sleeping stuff"... It's overrated when you have a car project ....And a deadline

Don't be giving up this early....and you can use that cardboard north pad under your head, when taking a nap under the car:eek:

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

It's worth the thrash. Just take one project at a time.

27. Hey malibumonte78... Don't worry about your Wagon... most of us are still hunting for parts and will have to attend as spectators! (Again!) sigh.....

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Best advice ever.

I've done more work on my car in the last two weeks than I have in the last 20 yrs,and it's just from knocking down one job at a time:brake line,fuel line,subframe connectors,overflow bottle,carpet,seats,seatbelts,intake,carband distributor......
    This is the stuff so far....and there's lots more to do yet,but I'll get it.

You're on the right track with posting a working list on the windshield and knocking off one item at a time til you get the whole damn list wiped out.

You can do it Brother.Enlist a buddy or two to help cut the workload in half,and just tear into that list like you mean it.If it was easy,every pasty faced yuppie puke would own an old hot rod.:)

Scott

29. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Took the Falcon to the track this last Sunday and ran a best of 10.91 @ 125.56 mph. The 60 foot was still soft with a 1.70 but it ran well and now I have 25 runs on the engine so I will start sorting out the other stuff. Meltdown drags are only about 12 weeks away and time is flying.

Jon

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zPaxGeqXSYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey malibumonte78 if you need a hand or I my some parts help give me a shout I am only 20 miles south of Columbia and I work there (sometimes)
    racer-x thanks on the offer on the PC tool I may have one. For now I will be waiting on the word from the doctor to see if I have a patient.