Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Mattitude: the Beginning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TexasSpeed, May 31, 2011.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Uh? "Met a girl" still hasn't happened..

The roadster is still collecting dust in Amarillo, but working for a reproduction parts company has allowed me to go to all of the local swap meets, so.. That's not entirely a bad thing.

Keep holding your breath. When I update this thread, I'll be sure to let y'all know the body count when it happens.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Body count? Yikes, I was just kidding. Take all the time you need.:eek:

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Haha! The body count is from how many people will pass from holding their breath.. :eek:

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK, I'm breathing again. I'm also making a bit of progress on my '26 Chevy Roadster finally. Looking through this thread is very encouraging for me. Thanks for posting the blow by blow account. I hope you can get back on it soon. I want to drive mine to LSR in 2016 as long as I can avoid the "body count" for what ever reason.:rolleyes:

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Wish I could help you buddy. Throw a hitch on the crown vic and get the roadster up there. The c10 can wait!

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm trying to iron out a plan on getting the roadster down here asap. Thank you for the kind words.. I'm really fortunate to have kept the project throughout college. :)

I love early Chevys. Can't wait to see yours! Hopefully I'll get mine driving before 2016.. Haha. :eek:

Thanks, buddy.. No way. I need the C10 here too. It's my parts hauler and I'm getting incredibly fed up with driving a late model daily. Haha.

7. Why can't the C10 move the roadster?

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Because it's a short-step bed, I'm bringing down a lot more than just a roadster and the C10 (cherry picker, torch, drill press, cabinet, and so on..), and then there's the reliability factor of the C10. :rolleyes:

9. Sorry, forgot it was a short step...

Anyways....
    You know what they say

"everyone wants a short bed till they get to the hardware store."

Wish I was closer. Got a big old Ford truck built for towing.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hahaha! I actually hadn't heard that saying until now.. It makes perfect sense.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Moderators please close this thread, it's went down hill. :D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding!

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Since I last "officially" updated this thread, I moved to Arlington and my roadster stayed at the other house in Amarillo. The house I now rent in Arlington only has an one-car garage. Most guys look at that as a half-empty glass but I look at it as half-full.. Better an one-car garage than none.

Well, after long enough, I got sick of not being able to work on it and I started planning the last weekend out, making sure it would happen. Some things changed at the last minute but I was able to pull it together and over the last weekend, I was able to finally get the roadster moved down here along with everything I need to work on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last couple days have been spent putting stuff up and getting organized but tonight I said to myself "I need to make progress."

So, progress was made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's nice being able to move this thing around without having to straighten both front wheels every once in a while. It's not much to the experienced builders, but after almost 11 months since I last tried my hand at this, I brought the larger torch set-up and I was able to get these bent. I'm still a newbie with the torch, but after tonight, I feel a lot more confident with it. Practice makes perfect. I'm sure I'll have to come back and fine-tune the arms a little, but this kind of progress is what will get me on a roll.

Or so I hope.. :)

13. YES!!! Great to see you back on this again!

14. X2

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so good to see you back at it. stoked for this car to become a reality.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really happy about this, and your picks remind me of Malcolm's illustrating how a one car garage is suited just fine for building an A roadster if your creative.

Glad you got ahold of a bigger torch rig, it's not to hard to figure out and you'll be glad to have it handy. Good luck and let me know if you need anything now that you've resurfaced into hotrod land :)

17. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Real glad to see you're back at it Matt!

Life intervened for me as well and I haven't been able to work on my pickup since January. Maybe seeing some progress on your roadster will give me some inspiration to try to get back in the shop.

Also, working in a one-car garage isn't so bad. I prefer it that way actually...it's 'traditional'. DSCN2731.JPG

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Glad you are back at it. I've been chipping away in baby steps but I'm ready to be inspired. Let's build roadsters together a1000 miles apart. :cool:

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks everyone!

Tim - Nick's absolutely right. I think with an one-car garage, you're forced to prioritize what tools/equipment to have. I think in a way, this is forcing me to make progress using this as my mindset: the more parts I get on the roadster, the more room I gain having less parts laying around.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400781229.163553.jpg

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Heck you might be able to fit two in that one!

Haha, looking forward to your updates

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome, Matt -- glad to see you're back at it!
    Working in a single car garage has also kept me from having too many extra un-needed parts around or other project cars that just sit and take up room. Kind of helps keep life a little more simple!

22. Nice that your back to work, Having a one car garage myself, organization is key to success and cleanliness. Keep up the work.

23. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

looking good glad to see you back at it. I have always liked working in a smaller space myself you don't have to walk 50 feet to your tool box to grab a screw driver.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome back! It is a hobby so there are no deadlines. Bob

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Haha, Tim. It's not that big. The right side of the roadster is a foot from the wall. It is a little longer than your typical one-car garage. Plus an overhead attic.. :)

Malcolm - Yeah. It is kind of refreshing. I only have a few "extra unneeded parts" in the garage now. What I still have at home in Amarillo though.. :rolleyes:

Bob - Yes, but then again, it's always nicer to drive it. :)

No pictures but I worked on it last night some while packing for the weekend. The torch is my new favorite tool.. Haha. I assembled the steering box and started bending the pitman arm to clear the bone. I may have to put a leaf or two back in the front spring pack. Or notch the frame rails to clear and notch the wishbone a little. I think that would be a pretty cool detail to have, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

26. thunderplex

thunderplex

For some reason, all of your pictures are not available. Is it just me or is anybody else having this preblem.

27. thunderplex

thunderplex

28. Glad you can start back at it now Matt! I need to build something to store the '55.
    Your 1 car garage looks roomy after looking at my 2.5 car garage filled with strollers, bikes and tricycles haha

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm having this problem too. Must be the new forum. Or my Photobucket account is acting up? I'll investigate it when I get back from my weekend trip.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just a new forum bug.

Notched wishbone? Sounds like it
    Could be sketchy, but look forward to seeing what you end up doing