Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just picked this up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by binderbart, Apr 26, 2014.

1. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Haven't been in here for a while. Just got this thursday. Planning on getting it road worthy as soon as possible. Not a bad little rig. We got the flathead running and ran it for about an half hour last night and dropped the oil. Patched the gas tank today. Needs about everything for the brakes. Not having much luck finding parts.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      157.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      151.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      145.7 KB
      Views:
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it and think the color makes the car,I also think some aluminum slots with just a little dish and/or "medium fat" (for lack of better term:D)tires would complete it.

Congrats and good luck;)

3. Try Apple Hydraulics or Andy Bernbaum for parts....
    http://www.applehydraulics.com/

http://www.oldmoparts.com/Default.aspx

4. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

thank you......and my wife thanks you. I got the car thursday and she was at her sisters. She walked in the door of the shop friday nite and saw it and her first words were "ohhhhh thats my car". Looks like the oldmoparts has most of what I need.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

5. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

I think we're keeping the color, the wife is in love with it. I'm thinking different rims also, and agree with the slots. I'll have to drill the alignment hole in them. I'm also building a scout II now and looking for slots for that. I really like that rim.

6. I'd put different wheels on it rather than just the rims. Lots easier

7. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

original hub caps were in the trunk. I spent the day at a few bone yards looking for 15" rims, no luck. Did a search tonight and come up with alot of possiblilities. another day.

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Does the hubs have a guide pin for the wheels?

You might be able to just get rid of the guide pin???

Does your car have lug nuts or lug bolts?

The driver side will probably be left hand thread reguardless.

If it has lug bolts It might be difficult to "safely" figure out a lug bolt configuration with shanks needed on em to accommadate the aluminum slots or any other wheel that takes a shanked lug nut.

Im sure it could be done but would take a little doing.

9. caitlinna

caitlinna
    from london

I also think some aluminum slots with just a little dish[​IMG]

10. I love it that it still has some original bullseye headlamps in it.

11. Try NAPA..usually if they don't have the brake parts in stock they can get them and if not try Kanter. HRP

12. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

It does have the guide pin and the bolts, and yes one side is left handed thread.

13. R Pope

R Pope

You can drill the hubs and put in studs, then run any mags you want.

14. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Napa is one of the vendors for my shop, I called him saturday as I was headed out the door. He was going to see what he could find and call me monday morning.

15. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

That might be one of the options. Never a big fan of the bolts or the left hand thread.

16. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

The patch on the tank held. Put seven gallons in, no leaks. Its swap meet season here. Had a guy stop by and drop off a set of 14" port-o-walls. Spent the rest of the day dropping in a transfer case in the son-in-laws Nissan Titan, that was the payment for this car. He ended up with the car and told me buy him a case and put it in and the car was mine.

17. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Back in 1970 I had a 2dr 53 Plymouth Cambridge. Wish I still had it. I've only seen 3 Cambridges since then. If you can find some of the "little books " there are usually some custom 53-54 Plymouths. Almost like shoe box Fords. Have fun with it.

18. jhutch713

jhutch713

Nice ride...I can't get over the fact that you picked it up...I went out to my garage and I couldn't pick my truck up...I must be weaker than you.;) ...Very cool car...

19. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Cool ride! Cooler still that the wife's on board with it. That makes things sooo much more pleasant! Enjoy.

20. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

You might want to think about converting to modern day discs. Scarebird makes a good setup for the fronts, while AAJ Brakes takes care of the rears and the MC (dual well conversion). It will set you back almost $1000, but you'll have modern day brakes that work very well.

Chris

21. Great looking car, and even better that your wife not only likes it but has claimed it for her!

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script>

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When Mama is happy.............everyone is happy!!:cool::D

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Probably because I work out every weekend......12 ounce curls :D

24. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

exactly, I was going to sell the project sitting in the corner cause I got this one, a 56 IH pickup body on a 2WD chevy pickup frame and drive train. Since she wants this one it means I gotta keep mine and do it now ;)

25. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

She even named it......Bertha

26. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

played the parts hunt game again today. Not much luck. I was wondering if there was anything I could pull off another make and model car to drop in front and have disc. A different rear axle couldn't be that hard to match. Something newer so parts would be easier to get. I wonder if the front of a crown vic would be close. Even if it changed it from a 5 on 4 1/2 to a 5 on 4/34 or 5 or 5 1/2. I'm not married to any set of rims yet.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some early F100 guys were interested in the Crown Vic aluminum bolt-in front undercarriage, until they found out how wide it is!
    The F100 'bolt-ins' were of the '66 on up, not the narrow older models.
    On your Plymouth they'd resemble something between training wheels and outriggers...

28. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

guess a guy can dream. I have a junk yard that I can get stuff dirt cheap, thats why I was wondering.

29. chopo

chopo

just picked this up...... wowzers you must be strong :)