Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The German Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

MIGUEL,
    GREAT JOB ON THE GERMAN HIBOY! You just keep getting better with age. I like the nostalgic details; such as the Pickup grill, chopped windshield and hartz cloth top with side curtains, side cutout plate headers, white firewall, big and little whitewalls, 50's Pontiac tail lights? and '32 Ford rails with a 1930 Ford body in a stock Stone Brown color, etc..

2. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

Pure Ford Hiboy on '32 Rails and correct me 1931 Ford body as your first post states.

Attached Files:

3. marioD

marioD

Mac it is: Der deutsche Roadster

Mario

4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Got the pictures of the 5 window, looks like a great project.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As above, very nice job on this! I hate to bug you on the trivia stuff, but I was wondering if you also had to any other quirky lighting tricks? I remember parking with two wheels on the sidewalk on narrow streets back when I was stationed in Germany. When doing that, only the left side parking lights remained on the other one was turned off by with an unique switch setting. Or built in rear fog lights? Lastly, how did the fender rules work? Did you have to cover a certain number of degrees and / or did they have to be clocked in a certain manner? Beaut of a car. Gary

6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Actually fenders are not required in Germany on pre 52 cars due to a poorly formulated law, but most run them anyway because most authorities don't believe their own rule book and insist on them anyway. Loads of rods here run without them.
    The left/right only sidelight thing when parking doesn't exist anymore. Modern cars can't do that trick. Fog lights are not required before circa '72 or there abouts.
    I build rods for a living, if you can call it that, and I for one appreciate the strick laws here. They keep the poorly built and dangerous rods off the roads. Streetrods are a dying species here. Most rods are authentic traditional rods. Just about any traditionally and well built rod will pass inspection here. Streetrods, IFS, 350/350, billet wheels or TCI frames will not generally pass inspection and that's just fine by me.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting. Thanx for the fine points. Gary

8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I heard this is the case also in australia

9. Rogueman

Rogueman

I met the dude that bought it. He came by my house on his way to pick it up. My cousin's nephew.

10. Jenz38

Jenz38

I'm very curios about the Car if its arrive here .
    Richy is a good Friend of mine and I'm the One who fixed his Car if anything is happen with it.
    richy is a allweather Driver and when he's on a fast Longdistance Trip on Autobahn with strong cold Rain and Sidewind its better to have side curtains,thats the Reason he told me.
    here rules Function follows Form ... ;-)
    ... we wait now for the Car here ...

Greetings from Richys Mecanic

11. 4444Design

4444Design

generally i second that ...

the laws usually help to keep the crap off the roads but most of the time i myself feel kinda "over regulated" which is really a pain in the ass

anyway - waitin' to see this awesome ride 1st here in Germany

12. Jenz38

Jenz38

I go with you ,Thomas.
    We (Lifters Germany),buddys of Richy, are curious about what the german Tüv said, if it see the Car to legalize it for the like the german said"public german street traffic " .;)

I can keep you postin'

13. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Jens, great to hear from you and we would apreciate any help you can give Richi, please post some pictures of when the car arrives on the thread, it would be great to see the car driving around some German scenery. I heard Richi wants to take the roadster to the hill climb.

14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The roadster should get there the first week of june

15. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

Hot Rod Grill Wanted.jpg

Hi Miguel,
    I'm looking to buy a pair of 1929 Ford Roadster quarter panels or maybe 1929 Sport Coupe quarter panels. Will need doors too. I want old originals in any shape. I'm starting to collect parts again and want to build a 1929 Ford Low Boy. Also looking for a track nose and grill or 50's jaguar oval grill. Attached is a photo of track nose I had but it was lost. Maybe I'll have you and your shop help me build it as you do great work at reasonable prices. Thanks, Chris 858-866-4661

16. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Heard the roadster made to Hamburg, hopefully jens38 can post some pictures

17. That really looks great! I'm diggin the color too. Sehr schoen, baby!

18. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Heard it hit the German shores, hopefully Jens 38 can send us some pictures

19. Jenz38

Jenz38

hi guys..,
    yes, the car is here now.
    It stands in the garage from stephan,he's also a lifters member.
    he lives 100 miles from me , there is the car now for prepare it for the german Tüv.
    I was there at wednsday for a first look to the car. Sorry Miguel,we have no pics made,because its only in the garage on the lift.
    Some will follow, if the car is ready for the first ride.

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Passing the German safty codes is not easy while trying to keep the traditional period correct parts on the car .
    I'm shure you are going to find a lot of bugs on the roadster, We never had a chance to test drive the car because most motorist in Mexico don't have insurance and it's a big risk taking the car on the road.
    I thank you and Stephan for helping Richi with his roadster, it will take a lot of patience to dial in the 80 year old mecanical parts but in the end , it's a great reward to drive a flat head car and shift that 39 box..

21. Jenz38

Jenz38

I'm work many on the Car..after it come to Stephan, i had fixed the bend Brakelines in the rear, new Pushrod and a Boot for the Mastercyl. After we see that it too much to do for Stephan i take the car with me to my Home.
    a complete rebuild kit into the Steerinbox with new Worm, Shaft, Bearings and clean the Adjuster to do now its Job. hi lo beam switch had got a pair of good Screws,Fix on the Columnsteering the Turnlight Switch for operate with the inside control lamp. A Horn with self manufactured Horn Knop, Battery holder is on it now, had fixed the Trunklock for accept the Ignition Key .. many Nuts was to tighten and to secure..Shock brackets in front and rear are not in a save working position, in front i have bolt in new Screws from in to out side , now with close Nuts on it and in the Rear we must fix new good working frame brackets for that they can work in a correct angle if the suspension is while driving under work.I also unstall endplay rubbers for that the rear axle dont hit the frame and or stoped about the Shocks.
    The Exhaust brackets in rear has clamped the Wires of the rear Lights ..it was near to a short cuircuit, here i build new brakets directly to the crossmember.
    Had also fixed the Choke and Carblinkage for correct working. Had changed a damage wheelbolt in front left, align the brake shoes .... the E brake handle have now a new place under floor for pull the (also fixed)Brake cabel in a good acceptable angle.... IMG_20140910_192433.jpg

IMG-20140921-WA0042.jpeg
    IMG_20140908_173522.jpg
    To be continiued ;-)..

22. Jenz38

Jenz38

After a little break i have finished the work on the car wich will important for Tüv.
    Rear shockbrackets at frame are compl. new, the ones on the axle i have fixed in a better/lower position for that they can work in full lenght.
    Axle to frame bumper are mounted now for secure the material if theaxle is punsh through on bad streets.
    Had adjust the toe in of the steering.
    The gastank is a little leaky at the steering bracket but it will be ok for the first longer test runs.
    Had weld in between the fenderbrackets flat bars against the spinning/moving of the Fender in front and rear.
    Wiper i had also fixed with a cut out of the front wooden roof frame and have shorten the arm for proper operation with the chopped Windshied.

Yesterday in the dark evening at cold wet 30 ° F,was the first test ride inside my village on dry streets... (without registration, its vorbidden by death in germany :) )
    man, ....what a small car inside ;)....
    steer , brake or shifting will not work (for me) together because i'm with my 5'11' too long for this vehicle:))
    Richy is shorter than me, hope for him he better can work behind the Wheel.
    Next step is to bench the shiftstick far more to the passengers side for driving is a bit more "ergonomic" ; )

Next pics are will follow ....

Wish you all a couple of cushy christmas days.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  23. Jenz38

Jenz38

these days the car is registrated and ready for the street .;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At first with an optional Gastank in the trunk, because of the leaky original one... :mad:
    Next winter we pull it out and repair it
    [​IMG]
    The first BBQ ;at next weekend, where Richy comes with his Roadster ..

Martin_F and tb33anda3rd like this.