Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 3 speed question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Apr 26, 2014.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Got a 78-7006 case from an early 40s Ford 3 speed and am looking to run it with open drive behind my nailhead.

I understand there is a need to switch out the main shaft but not having played with these boxes before can someone confirm that I can get the trans mount mocked up by simply switching out the rear seal carrier to the open drive verion (as shown)?

Attached Files:

2. Are you trying to say the 78-7006 case is a side shifter or are just illustrating the rear seal carrier/mount?

Charlie Stephens

3. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Charlie

Just really trying to confirm that the setup shown with the rear carrier will work for the purpose of mocking up the trans mount. I.e. that rear mount will work on the 78-7006 case.

Yes, I am going with a 3 on the tree setup...

4. b.r.

b.r.

should be good to go. that's your new bearing retainer and mount.
    the open drive stub will just stick out slightly.

5. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

The case in your pic is an 01A-7006 side loader case. The 78-7006 case would be a top loader with the floor shift.

The side loader case will carry any 42-52 open drive gear set, using the rear support you have there in the photo.

6. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Many thanks for the replies guys. Seems I am good to go. Have Bob Hilton picking up the car this morning...!

The gearbox is in good condition but after spending the last 10 mins browsing the vanpeltsales.com website I know I can get the other parts I need.

Mac, you are of course correct, I was mistakenly looking at the top loader boxes.