Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Prefect - "Altered" Style Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 22, 2011.

1. -4 fuel lines with alky??? LOL....

els likes this.
  2. c322348

c322348

What size Hilborn are you using? Will you run alcohol or gas?

els likes this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

2 7/16 Hilborn on alcohol.

els likes this.
  4. I was going to say the same thing!

I feed my pump with a -10 and then by pass with -6 as recommended by Hilborn - and this is with Gasoline

els likes this.
  5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Ok guys...please read the previous posts...

The line from the fuel cel is -10 and the distribution lines are all -6 as per recommendations from Hilborn and AlkyDigger as well as the inlets and outlet sizes of the parts themselves.

The -4 is for the priming system but thanks for the concern

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    els likes this.
  6. c322348

c322348

Will you be doing any dyno work, or just the butt dyno at the strip? Curious what HP you'll be at. I've got a 2-1/2" Crower going on my SBC Thames on gasoline, but mine will be streetable (I hope!).

els likes this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

We wanted to put it on a dyno for set up but we are running out of time. We "may" put it on a chassis dyno if we get it ready soon enough but we have a lot to do and my Scout gasser is sitting in the corner waiting for it's turn to be re-assembled.

We know the motor made 505 hp with a carb on alcohol before the rebuild and the few extra tweaks done to it. We are hoping for 530 - 540hp. Our limiting factor are the heads. They are decent Dart Iron Eagle but they could be better.

Love the Thames !! Easily one of my favorite body styles. Good luck with your setup.

els likes this.
  8. Hey I wasn't laughing at you, I know you know better ;)

els likes this.
  9. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Great build Saxxon!

els likes this.
  10. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

BITCHIN !! Chris

els likes this.
  11. c322348

c322348

Thanks! My Thames will likely go on a chassis dyno mid-year. I have the following heads which may breathe a bit better than yours, though not at all vintage: http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_33

els likes this.
  12. You still making progress?

I hope you guys didn't freeze to death up there!

els likes this.
  13. Saxxon

Saxxon

Still banging on it !!

Not so tough to do in a warm shop when the outside temps are dropping to -46c with wind chill. We are expecting more snow this week ... great !! I'm splitting away from the project for a while to get the Scout re-assembled then it's back at it.

Pipes are being repositioned and welded up, electrical schematic being drawn up and hopefully we'll have that sorted out in the next week or so. Cooling lines being sorted out. We are having a bit of an arguement on how to do this. My brother wants to use pipe. I want to use AN and hose and Larry says he has stuff under his bench we should be using... we just need to get him to bring it so we can see it. Too many cooks sometimes make for difficult decision making paradigms. Our next dilema is adding the driveshaft tunnel required for center steer cars. This will mean we have to fabricate a panhard bar / watts link of some sort. Again... too many opinions have us frozen on this subject.

els likes this.
  14. sc5080

sc5080

Message received. Hoses and fittings are in the trunk of the car and will be at the shop tomorrow. I have also done up a wiring diagram for you and will bring that as well.

els likes this.
  15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey... social media works... who would have thought ??

els likes this.
  16. Saxxon

Saxxon

-50 with wind-chill tonight... holy crap !!

els likes this.
  17. warrant

warrant
    from Canada

I feel your pain, its 30 here and feels like 35 returning to -23 on tuesday:(

els likes this.
  18. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Prefect took it's first tentative steps out of the shop... Ok...we pushed it into a trailer and took it to a car show... in snow storm.

The Rodarama show is out on by the Manitoba Street Rod Association. It's a no frills up close and personal event held in the middle of 2 hockey rinks. It's a very cool little gathering. The MSRA barely tolerate drag cars and are totally against trailer queens of any kind. But the hard core rod guys really liked the Ugly Beast and it's one of the few cars there that had folks stopping and staring with more than a few points and headshakes... I love it

Here are some crappy pics of the Ugly Beast's first public appearance
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Car looks great just as it is, do you plan on painting it?

els likes this.
  20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Love it!!! Especially the steering wheel!! ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els likes this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks great Saxxon! Looks close to being done too!

els likes this.
  22. Saxxon

Saxxon

The jury is out on the paint issue... I want to take it the barn find direction right down to adding a faded sponsor logo on the side and then clear coat the patina. My brother likes the idea but really wants to paint it. As he says... Metalic Green with enough metal flake that you would cut yourself if you leaned on it.

We also have a metallic red wheel that would match the stacks. Until we paint it (if...we paint it) we may go in that direction.

It's a mag hold down clamp, fuel pump belt and cooling hoses away from first fire up...

First shakedown pass means adding the required drive shaft tunnel It'll mean some fab work for a panhard bar or something similar. The problem is too many cooks with different opinions on how to do it. We get stuck analysing the solution rather than just doing it. We also need to set the timing and set up the Hilborns. Shouldn't be too far off since it was set up for alcohol when it came

els likes this.
  23. Saxxon

Saxxon

1st public appearance was a great success. Lots of positive feedback. They even saw fit to award the Ugly Beast with a 1st Place - Special Interest. We were also informed the Prefect was in the running for people's choice. Very cool

Now... enough of the posing crap... time to get this thing running and pound the crap out of it !!

Oh yah... see the look on the kid's face ... that's what's it all about !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    els likes this.
  24. HomerWinch

HomerWinch

That car is " PRETTY DARN TOOT'N " !!!

els likes this.
  25. congrats on winning at your first show...look forward to seeing it..

Rick

els likes this.
  26. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Fuel Injected Suicide Machine is Alive !!

My brother fired the Prefect for the first time last night... and I wasn't there.
    I'm torn between being seriously pissed that I wasn't there to see - and happy we've stepped past this hurdle.

Next step - move under it's own power and a burnout out the back door !

Apparently it's loud as hell and it was blowing stuff off the walls and shelves... all I can say is ... AWESOME !!! As Mike Belina says - "It's all about the show".

els likes this.
  27. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Cool.............really looking forward to seeing it at the Meltdown.

els likes this.
  28. Thomas B

Thomas B
    from WI

Watching this car develope has been awsome....great job!

29. Saxxon

Saxxon

Gauge panel mounted and cooling system finished. Also added a tow loop off the frame and a bit of moulding to hide the butchery, I'll add some similar moulding around the front and rear nerf bars
    Almost there kids

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Prefect moved under it's own power for the first time in almost 40 years and the first time as a race car. We made 2 laps around the parking lot, noted about a dozen things that needed attention, not the least of which was the loose steering and trail of ATF trailing behind it. (Easy fix). Then we welded in the driveshaft tunnel (required for center steer). We'll be shaking it down next weekend at the track (weather permitting). Pelissier Family Racing will be there in force with the Scout, the Prefect and my niece running 7.50's in a RED. Should be fun !!

We need to figure out how to use the leak down tester to help set it up as we believe it's running lean. We know nothing about Hilborns so it's a steep learning curve. We have our engine guy showing up today and he builds for a local sprint car racer. Hoping he can shed some light. Building isn't tuning.

els, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.