Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not A SBC Timing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoodprop, Apr 25, 2014.

1. hoodprop

hoodprop

I am running a Performer RPM cam 7102 in my truck. My motor is a 350 bored .60 over 305 ho heads Edelbrock 1405 600 CFM carb. I had the idle set at 850 i could hear a slight miss in the exhaust on the driver side. So i check all my plugs and wire and cap that all check out. My plugs are gap to .40. Timing is set 12 degree advanced.

I bumped the idle up to 1000 seem the miss is gone if it drops below that you here it. So why is this. Is my idle set to low for the came is it overlapping I am hearing. Truck ran great before I put it away for winter. just doing a spring overview of ever thing. Am i worried about nothing.

2. Try some basic diagnostic work.
    Depending on your ignition, cancel one cylinder at a time looking for no or minimal drop In Rpms. That will be your missing cylinder.

Then swap a plug and wire from another cylinder and then see of the problem follows the parts.

Wires wear out, from use and age both. Caps and rotors get surface corrosion on the contacts from sitting. Fresh set if plugs never hurt anyone. gas goes old fast and old gas isn't going to help anything

3. Ole don

Ole don

Times two on the gas. I would say to take it out for a long drive, when you need gas, fill it with the next higher grade from what you usually buy. One tank full should help. Drive easy the first tank full, use all the crap.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The engine in my T Bucket is close to that and I idle at 900-1,000 rpm. Mine is also set at 12 advance. I gap my plugs at .035. I'm assuming you forgot that zero. When a wider plug gap is used, there is more resistance across the gap, and more energy is required to jump the gap. Increased compression will also increase the resistance across the gap.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ya if it ran well when you put it away something has changed. Gas maybe? Check your wires and cap. Check for rodent interference! lolol
    Jay

6. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Did you check your fuel filter?....

7. hoodprop

hoodprop

Well I ran it out of gas trouble shooting. I will go get some premium this week. I will go though the wires cap and rotor. It is only on the driver side that I hear it though the exhaust. True duals. Could it be a carb issue.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did you use an additive in the gas before storage?

9. hoodprop

hoodprop

No additive before storage

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Add some "Star-Tron" to the gas to remove moisture. It's only about $8 and just may work OR drain your tank and lines, then try fresh gas. You may have gotten some condensation in your tank.

11. Don't go chasing ghosts.
    You were troubleshooting on fumes, last years gas, and off the bottom of the tank where all the crap settles.

Change your fuel filter, get some fresh gas and see what happens.