Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ANZAC Day 25 April 14.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 21, 2014.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ANZAC Day 25 April.

April has always been a month of torment. I was going to post this on the Doolittle Raiders thread but believe those men deserve their own thread.

Australia, in 1914 had population of almost 5 million people, of that more than 1.2 million Australians volunteered for service in WWI, of that 330,000 Australians fought for King and Country. Of them more than two thirds were either killed or wounded.

WWI is the first war that Australia and New Zealand fought under our own National Banner's as Australians and New Zealanders. The Gallipoli landings on 25 April 1915 forged our National Identity's when after the planning and beach 'prep' by the British they then promptly landed the ANZACS on the wrong beach, one full mile (1.6km) from their intended target.
    16000 Australians and New Zealanders landed on that beach, nobody knows just how many fell but in the first several hours it was found that approximately 900 were killed, 2000 were wounded and 4 were taken prisoner and a beach so well defended that it was deemed impossible to land on had been taken.

At the end of WWI the rural town of Ballarat constructed a Victory Lane with an arch engraved with every local that had died in the war, they planted a tree, one on each side of the road to honour those names. Victory parade runs for 14 miles. Hundreds of other towns did just the same for their boys.

From that to WWII, Korea, Malaya, Indonesia, Vietnam, Timor, Gulf War 1(Iraq), Afghanistan, Iraq(Gulf War2) and many more Australians and Kiwis have proudly marched off to serve our country's.

This Friday the 25th, I will honour those Australians and New Zealanders that served before me, my family members that served and the 14 mates I knew that laid down their lives in service of this great country.

Please, this Friday the 25th pause for a minute to remember they who fell.

Paul 'Doc' Watson,
    Royal Australian Army Medical Corps
    (031-2, AAMC, AME-Fixed and RW, HAPO, HUET.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Firefly

Firefly

"Lest We Forget"

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Lest We Forget"

Amen.

4. Kiwi Bob

Kiwi Bob

"Lest we forget"

I'll be at dawn parade on Friday Doc (probably at Beenleigh), I never served , but I go for my two Grandfathers (WW2),and my uncle (Korea).

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

For all who fought...

6. deadbeat

deadbeat

well written Doc,,"lest we forget"

7. Thanks Doc, my Mums Dad (1898-1976)was in WWI and was wounded by a German, i still have his tobacco tin the bullet passed through. He later was the NZ Govt. stores manager during WWII and was overseer for our lend lease agreement and in charge of all NZ post war asset sales. He never spoke of the wars. I will be at our local dawn parade this Friday. Least We Forget. JW

8. 35desoto

35desoto

Yes Friday deserves all our respect - I'll be at the Auckland Cenotaph for the dawn parade.
    Had one grandfather who served on maintaining Submarines in England during WWI and the other was a mounted Horse man in WWII here in NZ. While they didn't see battle there was also the silence when either WW was mentioned.

Then on a Rod run in the afternoon
    Pay my respects in the morning
    And then cruise in the afternoon to recharge the batteries

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them
    LEST WE FORGET

[​IMG]

My Grandad is in this photo. 9th Div Cav.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

You can be sure I will remember this Friday and will pay my respect to your mates.

John
    3rd Squad,7th Cav ( US )

11. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Lest we Forget

Dawn Service
    then 2up

12. fat141

fat141

LEST WE FORGET

My uncle Aub King never returned from Gallipoli in WW1
    My Dad did return from New Guinea, never spoke of the WW2

Most special day on the Aussie calendar
    Rod

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  13. A very special day indeed.
    I read An Anzacs Story a few years ago. A very powerful story that I recommend to anyone. It really put WWI into perspective for me.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Well said, I just got back from dawn service and it's getting bigger every year I go. Great to see the kids coming along and that the message is getting through. Not about glorifying war but remembering those in the services and others, and those individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country. Being my birthday it has always been a very special day for obvious reasons.

15. Weasel

Weasel

A reminder that Freedom is not free.

16. Shedrat29

Shedrat29

Lest We Forget

G V McLeod #13825
    20th Batt 2nd NZEF
    POW, Mentioned in Dispatches

Love you Dad.

17. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a fifth generation Australian Soldier currently overseas this day means so very much to me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

We Yanks do not forget our Aussie and Kiwi cousins who sacrificed with us to defeat tyranny.

19. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Yep last we forget .
    I`ll be toasting the boys with bundy and milk at the Kangaroo & Kiwi pub in Seattle with all the x pats.

20. Wardog

Wardog

Australia would be very different if it was not for these brave men.

21. Lil32

Lil32

Lest we forget. our son served in Afghanistan and thankfully came home safe.
    Radio advised maybe 20,000 people in little Anzac Square this morning at 4.28am for service
    Happy birthday from Lil32

22. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Ga Day Mates, Lest we forget. I am an american currently visiting in Numurkah, Vic. I just attended the AMZAC parade in downtown Numurkah and was Blown away at the the patriotism of Australians. I am visiting my Father in Law who served proudly in combat in WW2.
    Thank you guys for the Freedom that we all take for granted.

23. Thanks for reminding us, Doc. As a sort of an amateur historian, I am very aware of the sacrifices made by our cousins from Australia and New Zealand. I will have my own moment of silence today for our Aussie and Kiwi allies who served so valiantly. My heartfelt gratitude for all who served and for those that made the ultimate sacrifice. May God bless you all. This American will NEVER forget.

24. fat141

fat141

25. I just found this book ('Never meant to be Heroes'), online. The subject is my grandfather, and it is published by his son, who we have never known of until today.
    So obviously this is a special day;

http://www.sparrowforce.com/shop.html

p.s; The gravity of incredulity surrounding discovered war stories continues. There are many amazing stories, some so sad.

26. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Thoughts, prayers and thanks to our "Mates" down under who served!

27. Muttley

Muttley

28. 35desoto

35desoto

18000 people at the Auckland Museum this morning for the Dawn Service - very moving and a poignant reminder of how futile war can be sometimes
    The ww2 guys are now thin in the ranks yet the Korean, Malaysian insurgent, Vietnam and now the gulf wars boys and girls now fill the gaps

29. "we will remember them"
    B85078 RNZAF

30. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

thanks for the link, my Dad was based at Darwin, so I'll be looking at getting something from these blokes." Lest We Forget "