Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1959 Cadillac find!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spacecowboy81, Apr 23, 2014.

1. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

I have been reading lots of posts on the HAMB this year and working on my Olds a little. Lots of things get in the way such as this! The other day I was doing some work in a neighborhood and spotted this beauty stashed in back of a garage. You could not see it from the road so no one probably knew it was there all those years except for neighbors. I kept my cool which was hard because this is the car that got me into cars when I was a kid! I went back on Saturday and knocked on the door. I was greeted by a woman who went and got her father who apparently used to drive this thing back in the day. He came out and showed me the car. He didnt' know how long it had been parked there, he just said "years". I could tell from talking to him it may have been parked in the '80s but could have been the '70s.. he found the title and it shows he titled in in 1976.. he said the transmission was slipping and thats why he parked it behind the garage. I was disapointed at the condition when I viewed it up close but over the following days I started to think, wait a second.. thats a '59 Cadillac coupe and I've ALWAYS wanted one, since I was 7 years old anyway. So I called the owner back and I offered $1,000. He thought about it for a few seconds and said sure. So I tried to contain myself the rest of the week and went back the following Saturday and put tires and wheels on it and got a local wrecker to drag it back to my house where I pressure washed it. I have chrome steel wheels ordered for it already just so I can legally post in the customs forum. :D Plus, you rarely see one of these that doesn't have whitewalls and the original wheel covers other than the occasional bizzare street rod, so I think it will be cool to make it a mild custom rather than go the full restoration route. Now that I have it back in my shop, I can see its really not that bad, he had plastic covering the ground under it and there are small holes here and there on the floors and trunk pans, but no big issues. I want to hear what you guys think!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car . . . looks like a lot of work . . . good luck!

Another save, good for you.

3. Jason455

Jason455

1000 for a 2-door. You stole it.

Ratfins56 likes this.
  4. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

I agree! Great save.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

yeah, that's a great deal you made.

6. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man oh man that is the cat's meow!! Great score, love that body style....

7. For $1000, I'd be pretty damned happy about snaffling that.

And at $1000, customizing it won't hurt. It's not as if that colour is all that exciting, so go for it!

8. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

9. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Gonna be tough finding taillights for that :D

10. 327Eric

327Eric

THe chrome sure looks nice. I got one for a grand 10 years ago, but it had an engine fire, and cooked the paint on the hood and fender. Towing it down the freeway I got more thumbs up than with any other car I ever towed.

11. Where'd you find that? South Nashville....fairgrounds area maybe? Good start :cool: I've got a couple 60 parts cars, if you need anything....Welcome to the 'Followers of the Fins' ;)

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. They're still out there! Great deal you got. You caught the guy in just the right mood.

13. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Cool car!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what are you going to do with it?

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Well if you sell me that Oldsmobile for $1000 you'll have zero in the COOL CADDY! Whadda ya think?

16. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

Earl Sheib, North Nashville... he said a lot of his street flooded in 2010... but not his yard.

17. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

Olds joe, you didnt catch me in the right mood :D

18. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

Rockable, the plan right now im not sure if this is hambable but the 390 cad motor doesnt excite me as much as hitting the key and driving anywhere I want to so im thinking an ls swap or better a northstar drivetrain out of a late 2000s cts. Restore the interior, restore the body and go with the original gotham gold except a gloss black roof, chrome steel wheels and bullet center caps.

19. The bright work is half the battle and yours looks good, great score start scrubbing.

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Dang it!! Let me know when the MOOD strikes ya!

21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Maybe I need to send ya a MOOD RING!

22. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

An absolute bargain. Sweet Caddy!

23. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

You. Sir. Suck.
    ;)
    :)

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you pick a modern Caddy engine with enough torque. Not all of those Northstar engines are worth your time. I would stick with the 390 or maybe a 472 but if you must have a modern motor, I would get the drivetrain from a CTS-V from a few years ago (556 HP).

25. I think you're preaching to the chior there Cowboy. My Dad was a Repo Man in Bakersfield in '59 and he snagged a '59 Convertable Deville one Friday night and "couldn't" get it into the impound yard until Monday so we road around in a new black with red interior Caddy that weekend and I've been wanting one ever since. Never had a chance at one I could afford so I can't imagine how you felt getting one for a grand! Outstanding!

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

Please add updates and pictures to this thread when you get around to working on her. Subscribed!

27. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Any day a Cadillac is saved, It is a good day.

Ratfins56 likes this.
  28. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You absolutely stole it!

Ironically, I paid $1050 for this one in 1966. It was just like new... when I custom painted it there weren't even any rock chips and the upholstery had clear plastic seat covers from when it was new. A couple of years later, a friend got a '60 in very good shape for $200. No one wanted them back in those days.
    [​IMG]

29. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

With Caddy luck like that sir, I recommend that you buy a lottery tiecket!