Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Identification of Steering Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charlville, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Charlville

Charlville

Hi

I'm led to believe that I have later front spindles on my 1929 Model Sport Coupe. I'm trying to identify what I have, as the ball joint has excess play and there is also some play in the kingpin. I wonder if anyone can help with identification via the attached pictures please?

Apologies for the state of the steering gear, will be cleaning soon :)

Regards

Kevin

West Berks UK

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy

I can't see much in your pics. It looks like 37-41 spindles and 42-48 brakes. The drag link looks to have a regular later tie rod end on it. If the spindles have round flanges, I did ID them.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think I see round, and thrust bearing above lower spindle boss.
    Drag link is most likely composed '35-48 Ford tie rod parts. Kingpins probably '37 type.
    All parts look to be well rust-proofed!

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Can't help but notice the odd strap and loose bolt between the spindle and backing plate, could be a potential steering hazard. Also should probably make some tabs for the loose brake lines at the frame.

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

X2. Without a good pic of the spindles from the back to see the shape I can't be certain though.

6. Charlville

Charlville

Hi All

Thanks for the help and observations so far I've taken a few more pictures as requested.

Thanks in advance

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

37-41 Spindles.
    39-41 brake backing plates, heel of shoe adjustments at bottom.

What in the hell is that shim looking crap shoved between the axle knuckle and the slpindle back?
    I'll answer my own question... it appears to be shims to take up slack/wobble in the kingpins. Take all that stuff apart, clean it up, and see if the kingpin bushings and pins are slap worn out or the hole in the axle boss is wallowed out, it will be one or all of that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. Charlville

Charlville