Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pinch me! 32 Cabrio is mine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crminal, Mar 5, 2014.

1. I love the fact that you got most if not all the old records for the car, gives a real history of it. Did you happen to get a photo or two of how it looked in it's glory days?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mO9vm955r8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  2. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Cool history and save...

3. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396676843.187612.jpg
    Looking right at home.
    Thanks to Mike Harrington for his great photography

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Great looking car. I have a 5W yet to be started and I really appreciate your "period correctness" by leaving it alone. At first glance I too thought you should change the headlights probably for the big '32's but reviewing the pics again, (and being a history teacher and viewing your car as an artifact) I'm glad you're leaving them alone. What is really cool, and others have said it as well, is that it is not a roadster. They are great in their way but sometimes i get the vibe if it ain't a roadster it is only a poor relative. Living up here in BC a cabriolet would make way more sense than a roadster it you wanted to drive an open car on more than sunny days. I'm glad I have a coupe for that very reason. Congratulations!

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

nice score.
    rich

6. Man that thing is lookin good!!!!! Tim

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Code:

Code:

When I was first becoming interested in cars I would study the automotive section of the Sears and Wards catalogs for hours on end. You could order anything from spark plugs to rebuilt engines out of the catalog ancd folks who lived off the beaten path often did. In those days we would see people in Klikitat county of Washington state use 55 gallon barrels for mail boxes as they had packages delivered from Sears or other catalog stores so often.

I sure like that little Cabriolet and it sounds pretty good in the video.

8. It does have a nice sound to it, funny how a sbc with the right exhaust and the right car can sound just right. ;)

9. border ghouls

border ghouls
    from yuma az

car looks even cooler in person....nice meeting you at viva..dont change a thing

10. Great meeting you as well, I've always admired your roadster!
    The car was well accepted and I was blown away at the level of appreciation most folks had for the car.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats! on your find, Very Kool! A piece of history. Enjoy! John

12. That's as cool as it gets!
    You're a lucky man.

13. Thanks guys!

Took a shot of how the wiring was done in the day (well, at least in this car).
    IMG_2052.jpg

The aluminum "buss" bar at the top was hot all the time. Drilled and tapped for screw connections.
    Below that, thin plywood panel with connections that look like oldie telephone connections (knurled finger nuts). These leads come from the switches.

Been sorting them out, new fabric wire as needed, clean brass terminals and add a touch of dielectric grease. Working well.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Very nice! Good for you!

15. Pretty awesome find. Any pics of the underside?

16. KKrod

KKrod

Subscribed. Super survivor car. Can't see how it would be any nicer for vintage built car.

17. RussTee

RussTee

Wow dont change a thing people spend a fortune to make a car look like this yep keep the fenders but not on the car a real timewarp car and one of the best

18. Pinch you hell! More like punch you ya lucky bastard.......just kidding. Nice score man.

19. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

What a great find. Your car looks great, I love the color, it is just right. Congrats!

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

So cool!!! The ol' tail/stop light switch...
    I had one on my '36 Five window, and made the 45+ MPH left tyrn from the Alameda onto Newhall St., at the Carnation Creamery...with a San Jose Blue & White behind me.

The Blue & White ('58 Ford 'Custom' series, 332" Interceptor) washed out in the corner, curbed it, stopped for a minute, then came after me.
    I turned left and hit the switch...on a short street that ended right at the freeway. Mashed the binders, skidded right up to the chain link fence.

Blue & White went on by, lights & siren...LOL

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  21. A bit of an update now that I've been enjoying her an doing miles. Engine has been running nicely with just a few hiccups.

Carb is an AFB from a 409, with an adaptor. Had it rebuilt with new parts and just runs great! Had to replace a section of brake line that had a shape that prevented an air bubble from coming out. Brakes are tits now.

Window mechanisms are cleaned and lubed and I plan on installing new felt runners.

Check the heads for ID and one is original, the other is a replacement. Original head is PN 3731539 with a C257 date code. ID's as 57 Vette, Flint, 283 hp. I was fortunate enough to find another on Epay for the other side. Hopefully McTim64 will restore the head for me.

Have done a bit here and there but really she has been treating me right. Pretty much stalled on my 31 build as she gets all my attention.

Oh yeah, regarding overheating. Her fan is trimmed down so much that she doesn't like to sit still on a hot day. Moving, she stays at 180 or below but can climb to 200-210 sitting at a light. Can't decide... deal with it or changed to a raised water pump so I can increase to size of the fan.

Thanks for all the support guys and thought an update would be in order.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's funny. Cabrios don't do it for me and I don't like the color of yours at all... Still, it's like all of that is thrown out the window for that car... It's perfect exactly as it sits. I'm in love with it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. bonesy

bonesy

So damn cool! I like your decisions: can the fenders but keep the funk of the headlight stands. Perfect.

24. Wow, thats a great hot rod.

25. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

You are a magician! You made your brakes..... into Tits?.... (LOL!) If that car was mine I would spend more time under IT!......... (serious now) Very cool car! I liked it before but without the fenders, it's Very,Very COOL! That wiring under the dash is a serious blast from the past. Imagine seeing that in a new car today. Hope you have a million miles of fun with it! :)

volvobrynk and crminal like this.
  26. McFly

McFly

Love your time capsule. That Cabrio is just right.

27. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

28. Gary,
    Looks like a great score to me.....

29. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Damn, what an incredible find!

Good call on the fenders as well... Like others have said, it looked cool with them on, but without the fenders it looks incredible.

30. nice survivor ,......