Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuller Brizio Volks T topic continued

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bugnbox, Dec 4, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sadly, no. It's the exhaust noise, I'm telling ya. Change that noise and they'll follow.

2. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Well then slap a turbo on it, that will change the mood real quick

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

the exhaust note on my '67 squareback with a 2021cc stroker with 1.5" primary header and a short turbo tube gets LOTS of attention. no it doesn't sound like a v8 but it doesn't sound like a weak little vw either. i've had alot of hot rod guys turn around and follow in traffic to find out what was in the car....

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm still not quite clear on what you mean by exhaust noise. Every engine I ever built got about 9.5:1 compression and a comp exhaust system with a more often than not stinger, and sounded absolutely ferocious! Just deep, booming "F**k with me and die" kinda rumble. Bonus points for enough cam to make it rock at idle. If you are talking about a stock pea shooter system, I'm actually not aware of ANYBODY that has ever actually ran one for any more time than it took to go buy something better.

Might sound a little off, but I spent several years in the eighties running one of the largest VW specific shops ever, and even grandma didn't have the stock stuff installed when it went bad. We literally had two stockers on the shelf that sat there the whole time I worked there...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I guess I need to hear a California or Arizona Bug. The one's around here, yea the hopped up ones, sound just slightly better than the Ricers.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A little bit of trivia on that one- The reason nobody replaced stock mufflers EVER was that at the height of VW stuff, a base model Thunderbird header cost 19.95. A stock pea shooter type cost 39.95. You could add on about 4-5 horsies, better sound and better mileage all in one quick shot.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I still will sit in traffic and the hair on my arms goes up when you hear that sound. The hiss of the fan, the "Whoosh" of a pair of Webers gulping air, and the staccato bombardment of an open stinger! God, what a noise! Even a well set up 1641 has the sound. The truly big stuff with IDA's and such, the hit of noise when they opened drowned damn near everything else. One of my Ghias had a seriously gutted, well everything, including the decklid, which was just a dzus'd skin. A friend told me one night when I launched out a of stop light that the curvature of my deck lid went flat when I hammered it...

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well, in case you didn't know it, i got it back!!

[​IMG]

RICH B and AHotRod like this.
  9. luckystiff

luckystiff

louvers you'd soil yourself over my square then........

2021 stroker, 9.3:1, Web 163/lifters w 1.4:1 rockers, CB 76mm, CB Straight Cut gear set(straight cut whine), AA 92mm thickwalls, Revmaster 5.5" I beams, Manton pushrods, Brothers VW 40x35.5 mild ported heads, RARE old empi 1.5" header with the above mention short turbo tube to a 3.5" dump, Dellorto 40 DRLAs, Bosch 019 dizzy(switching to an 010)...

me and a buddy built it and i still stopped adding up receipts when i hit $6k and there were still a few left to add.

i'd love to stick this engine in one of these little V Rods.....

10. There's a guy in Santa Rosa, CA named Walt Letherman, that has a bright yellow Brizio/Fuller original V-Rod. He hasd a DLI (Dick Landy Industries) Blower sticking out of the bed, and it runs great and just sounds pissed off... ;)

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup! I would! Just gotta add that weird assed scream the DRLA's let out when the air really starts moving through them. I sold tons of the old C.B. anti whistle base gaskets to kill that noise for "normal" folks, My '65 European spec Square had the standard paper gaskets under it's 36s just SO it would chirp!

Which adds yet another dimension to the great sound with the increased compression and the blower drive! Oh, and the complete inability to keep the front wheels on the ground!!! Had one for a bit about twenty years ago, and gave a buddy an Old Meyers Tow'd that I had in the back yard. A couple weeks later he bought blower from me and built the first of many long blocks. The two were untied days later and have been together ever since. Same front tires now for almost twenty years. The backs? Not so long lasting....

12. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Glad to hear Gary....

13. This gives me chills and brings back memories. I still miss my lowered 66 Type 1. 1600 DP with a single solex 34pict3 carb with a stinger. It was like the biggest funnest Go Kart I ever owned.

Now, my uncle's 64 with the 2180 and dual webers... that thing would put you hard in the seat.

To keep this on topic..... I would consider building one, they look simple and inexpesive, and I'm sure a blast to drive.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One of my favorite boxer sounds comes from a fuel injected Porsche 6 cyl. #2 would be the same motor with a turbo. But could you lash up two VW or Subaru flat fours and make a 908-ish motor? Gary

15. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

A nice VW motor sounds better than a lot of the vintage bikes the nostalgia crowd loves, and I hear they had a few vintage VW Gassers at GNRS-by invite. And i bet there were more hot bugs in the day than straight axle Falcons. But I understand some knocking them. They never drove one or marveled at its seemingly simple engineering. VWs are my second love, next tofast hot engined rods.
    I love these bucket style cars, but the rear wheel placement always looked wrong. Now, with a stock length bed ocvered with a tonneau, a 27 rpu body and a frame utilizing the now common aftermarket torsion housings and some good looking tubular arms , i think a fun and quick rod in true nostalgia guise could be done on a budget. It is something I would love to build after my Oval.
    Gary, cant wait to see the rebbuild finished!

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

What's it look like now Gary?

17. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well it's been a while since i could work on it. i rebuilt the steering to work better, put coil overs on the back, put a new spring on the front and built new radius rods on it. i have been working on my '63 ply for about 8 months since my pt cruiser blew up and i need a daily driver. i have also been finishing up my fed. the game plan is to get back on it this winter. i am going to re-cut a door in it and make a folding top for it i also need to make a new hood.. i noticed the pick up box is pretty well wacked out, so there will be a new one made in my '29 pick up box mold too. i have pics but i am waiting till i get it done so show them. stay tuned. thanks for the reply.

18. Flake32

Flake32

19. Flake32

Flake32

Here is the one that I built some years ago, and I used the R&C drawing for my chassis. 5-09-04 006N.jpg

A Boner, HunterYJ, 69thumper and 2 others like this.